Random Music Talk L: I Have A Dreamsicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, someone posted that on facebook and I thought it might be an interesting discussion... I was probably wrong

JT's hatred of people younger than himself knows no bounds. You're an age-ist, JT.

I'm reading an R.E.M. biography right now, just a couple of chapters in, right now it's talking about how they first became popular in Athens, as nothing more than a bar and party band.

Two things of note:

1. They were originally called The Twisted Kites. What a terrible name. They made a smart change.
2. Apparently they all used to just get fucking shitface wasted all the time. Which is awesome. They even did a lot of their early practicing and rehearsing while they were super drunk.

I'm reading an R.E.M. biography right now, just a couple of chapters in, right now it's talking about how they first became popular in Athens, as nothing more than a bar and party band.

Two things of note:

1. They were originally called The Twisted Kites. What a terrible name. They made a smart change.
2. Apparently they all used to just get fucking shitface wasted all the time. Which is awesome. They even did a lot of their early practicing and rehearsing while they were super drunk.

Ooh, which bio? I read "It Crawled From the South" eons ago and loved it. Should read it again one of these days.

Also, re shitfaced REM, listen to their cover of "King of the Road." So funny. "Easy with the key! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy with the key!"

Personally, having thought about it more, I think it's probably just a case of kid's culture being more on display to the older generations than ever before....

I think that this is probably the case. "Intelligence" is such a difficult word to define. For example, younger generations are much more tolerant and open to equal rights than older generations, so the former not spelling correctly is really a non-issue to me. If you want to talk to some (often willfully) ignorant people, taking your sample from the Baby Boomers is probably your best bet.

I'll second Cori on It Crawled From The South. It's like the FLANAGAN BIBLE for R.E.M.

And I hope the one you're reading isn't Behind The Mask, or whatever that asshole Jim Greer's book is called.

Ooh, which bio? I read "It Crawled From the South" eons ago and loved it. Should read it again one of these days.

Also, re shitfaced REM, listen to their cover of "King of the Road." So funny. "Easy with the key! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeasy with the key!"

It's called "Reveal" by a guy named Johnny Black. Published in 2004. It's not the greatest (I've found a number of typos) but he's done his research and I'm having fun reading it. I've learned a lot of things I didn't know before, and I consider myself a pretty big R.E.M. fan.

I picked this one up because it was the only R.E.M. book they had on the shelf at the library.

My favorite section of the library is the one with all the music biographies. It makes me happy.

Am I the only one that has that recurring dream where you realize that you've been missing math class all year and it's almost the end of the semester? Had it again a couple nights ago. It's a horrible feeling. Then when I first awoke and was still all groggy, I was relieved when I realized I didn't have math class this semester... Then a few moments later when I fully regained consciousness, I was relieved to remember that I haven't been a student for a number of years

Jive Turkey said:
I hate them, with their hippin and their hoppin and their bippin and their boppin

POKEMONS!!!!

Jive Turkey said:
Am I the only one that has that recurring dream where you realize that you've been missing math class all year and it's almost the end of the semester? Had it again a couple nights ago. It's a horrible feeling. Then when I first awoke and was still all groggy, I was relieved when I realized I didn't have math class this semester... Then a few moments later when I fully regained consciousness, I was relieved to remember that I haven't been a student for a number of years

no, because I was smart enough to drop maths as soon as it was possible. Awful, awful subject.

I have weird school related nightmares now and again too, JT. Always very similar to yours, realizing I have to take a final for a class I haven't been attending or studying for.

I have basically the same dream, but mine usually involves a chemistry class.

Apparently people who include education in their assessment of self worth have very similar dreams, whereas athletes would have nightmares about being injured before the "big game," etc.

Apparently "wearing clothes" is in my assessment of self worth too then, as I have various nightmares where I realize I'm in public, but not fully dressed.

Am I the only one that has that recurring dream where you realize that you've been missing math class all year and it's almost the end of the semester?

I have a similar dream about football. I have to go in the game, but I don't know any of the plays, I don't have pads, or something else like that.

I had one once where I was drowning in a swimming pool and actually had the sensation of slowly blacking out and dying (well, at least what I imagine that feeling to be). Horrible.

Is it true that you can't die in your dreams?

The worst dreams are when you're with a beautiful woman and you wake up, at first convinced it could be real, then you realise that it couldn't be further from the truth :sigh::lol:

iron yuppie said:
Different episode, Cobbler. :wink: That Cosby-Pokemon scene is gold, though.

Damnit! I knew I couldn't slip that one by you.

I had a dream last night where someone played the bass line to Death Cab For Cutie's I Will Possess Your Heart and a snappy guitar riff over the top (supposed to be a Glee stye mashup of two songs) and it sounded awesome for the 30 seconds or so I remembered it after I woke up and then I forgot it and if I only remembered it'd be the next Yesterday and I'll have a million bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom