Random Music Talk L: I Have A Dreamsicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lazarus said:
I don't see how this is possible

But if Pulp winds up playing somewhere other than Coachella, I'll be there. Don't think I'm gonna make it up to SF to see them.

You think those pale Limey twats would be opposed to playing in the fucking desert in that godawful heat.

Pulp is the most intriguing part of the Coachella lineup for me, and that's saying quite a bit. Hope it's not a one-off for the US.

Finally going to listen to a second Liz Phair album. Probably going to be Whip-Smart.

Finally going to listen to a second Liz Phair album. Probably going to be Whip-Smart.

I actually like Whip-Smart more than Exile in Guyville. I think that musically it's more adventurous, and the subject matter of her songs has on a good number of tracks veered away from the relationship stuff into more abstract territory. She's a great writer. The stretch consisting of Shane, Nashville, Cinqo de Mayo, Go West, Dogs of L.A., and title track is so good and varied it's unreal, especially considering her contemporaries. And Supernova is kind of dumb but it kind of kicks ass. May Queen is a fantastic closer.

Those first three albums are all fantastic in their own ways.

lazarus said:
I actually like Whip-Smart more than Exile in Guyville. I think that musically it's more adventurous, and the subject matter of her songs has on a good number of tracks veered away from the relationship stuff into more abstract territory. She's a great writer. Shane, Nashville, Cinqo de Mayo, Go West, Dogs of L.A., the title track, and May Queen are all so, so good. And Supernova is kind of dumb but it kind of kicks ass.

Those first three albums are all fantastic in their own ways.

I adore Exile In Guyville, it's one of my all-time favorite records and I feel that her remarkably visceral, stripped down approach stood in stark contrast to overproduced bullcrap like Jagged Little Pill that may have some good songs but sounds like shit now. Guyville is all about the songs and getting them across in a no-bullshit manner, and it has about a dozen great ones. Divorce Song is perfect.

Basically, expectations are sky-high here.

Well it's still DIY style and quirky. It's just got more balls and it goes in more musical directions.

There were many who found it a disappointment but I think with your knowledge and the fact that you're not in the middle of the Liz phenomenon will help you.

Random topic change: where do you go with Sleater-Kinney after Dig Me Out and The Woods? I liked them both equally, so I guess I'm asking you your favorite of what remains.

What the fuck is going on between 1:04 - 1:14? Mic in hand, mic on stand, mic in hand. Someone fire the continuity man
There's all sorts of shit like that in that video. It was taken from like four nights.

Also, it's that Hamish fellow who directed like everything in the first half of the decade. His two favorite tricks were to just cut between everything too fast to know what was going on and to focus on completely insignificant things.

I hate Hamish Hamilton.

Hamish Hamilton failed because he shot from the perspective of the casual fan that would never, ever buy a $25 live DVD set.

"Oh, hey! Bono! Bonooooo! Bono! Hey, another member of the b-BONOOOOO"

And yes, Hamish Hamilton should have directed Quantum of Solace. I'm sure he was the 14th or so choice.

If Edge is playing a solo, I really just want to see Edge. For some reason, Hamish thought it was more interesting to show Bono strutting around looking like he wants to pretend to get into a fight.

Random topic change: where do you go with Sleater-Kinney after Dig Me Out and The Woods? I liked them both equally, so I guess I'm asking you your favorite of what remains.

Dig Me Out was the first S-K I bought. I liked it, didn't love it. In fact, I think I liked them more with each subsequent album (though The Hot Rock is arguably better than All Hands On The Bad One).

I think One Beat is the culmination of the classic S-K sound, before they ascended to Rock God status with The Woods.

At this point you may as well work your way backwards because I sure as hell wouldn't tell someone to wait any longer to hear One Beat. It's fucking phenomenal.

If Edge is playing a solo, I really just want to see Edge. For some reason, Hamish thought it was more interesting to show Bono strutting around looking like he wants to pretend to get into a fight.

:applaud:

But ZOMG he's so badass at the end of Last Night On Clay, when he goes into the audience and starts YELLING at that guy??

:drool::drool::drool:

I feel like any fan who is familiar with all the songs could do a better job, because they would just know what parts of the songs would be interesting: this Edge riff or solo, this fill by Larry ... it just seems like on all these U2 releases it's completely random, or "when in doubt, follow whatever Bono's doing."

I'm not about to argue that Hamish isn't a piece of shit (though the band gets what they pay for when the hire the director of a fucking awards show for their concerts), but I don't really see the appeal either of cutting to merely cutting to particular band members from assigned part to assigned part. Maybe just why I find most concert films to be boring as living fuck. But eh.

lazarus said:
Dig Me Out was the first S-K I bought. I liked it, didn't love it. In fact, I think I liked them more with each subsequent album (though The Hot Rock is arguably better than All Hands On The Bad One).

I think One Beat is the culmination of the classic S-K sound, before they ascended to Rock God status with The Woods.

At this point you may as well work your way backwards because I sure as hell wouldn't tell someone to wait any longer to hear One Beat. It's fucking phenomenal.

I was hoping you'd recommend One Beat. I heard it was Janet Weiss' most badass album, that the drums are fucking cranked. :up:

I'm not about to argue that Hamish isn't a piece of shit (though the band gets what they pay for when the hire the director of a fucking awards show for their concerts), but I don't really see the appeal either of cutting to merely cutting to particular band members from assigned part to assigned part. Maybe just why I find most concert films to be boring as living fuck. But eh.

Well, the 3D film wasn't shot by Hamilton, and it looked a lot better than the few live videos before it.

Well, the 3D film wasn't shot by Hamilton, and it looked a lot better than the few live videos before it.

I agree, and that film also had a fair bit of editorializing for lack of a better word, which made for a very interesting film, and more than an approximation of a three-camera sitcom which is the feeling I get from a lot of concert films.

But what's the use of all this DVD-A talks without some pics...

:wink:
yoshimi.JPG

petsounds.JPG

What did you think of ZooTV Sydney and Popmart Mexico? I thought they were very good, especially the former.

What did you think of ZooTV Sydney and Popmart Mexico? I thought they were very good, especially the former.

Those are good, particularly the former, because they're good shows and spectacles more than interesting films. And of course they're good performances musically, but that's just as well captured in bootlegs, live albums and youtube videos.

I bought a ticket to see Black Keys. We'll see how it all shakes out. Sounds like we won't be having choir rehearsal the night of that show, but I may have to fake an illness to skip out for the Snow Patrol concert the week before.

I'll have minor guilt, but I'll get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom