Random Music Talk L: I Have A Dreamsicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I choose to pretend I've never heard Kings of Leon perform live. My ears are still haunted by the terrifying experience.

My KoL will always be Radiohead related.

Mates of mine reckon they're the best live act they've ever seen :sigh: they also think Coldplay are better than U2. I'm a long way past getting annoyed or whatever about negative comments about U2, but come on. There is nothing to debate. Pull your fucking heads in.

Kings of Leon are only vaguely OK live because they accomplish what any band with a sizable fanbase can do: get the crowd to sing along. That's always awesome. As far as their songs and performances thereof are concerned, ugh.

Coldplay suck live. I've seen enough videos by now to know this. And they sadly have not improved in any meaningful way; Chris Martin is still an awful frontman, and the rest of the band is entirely uncharismatic.

it's very possible Kings of Leon are good in their own shows, but they were beyond atrocious opening for U2. I saw them twice, and they were equally awful both nights.

Let's put it this way, Kings of Leon made The Fray look good.

Did you listen to their cover of TTTYAATW? It was actually pretty good...

Coldplay were fucking awesome when I saw them :shrug: and they made Mercury Rev, who opened for them, look horrendous.

Coldplay suck live. I've seen enough videos by now to know this. And they sadly have not improved in any meaningful way; Chris Martin is still an awful frontman, and the rest of the band is entirely uncharismatic.

I've seen video clips that would contradict your statement :shrug:.

With many bands, it's hard to tell sometimes about their sound live. Sometimes it depends on the acoustics of the place one's performing. Sometimes it's an off night for whatever reason. Heck, sometimes I wonder if the sound just sucks on whatever I'm watching something on (I have a lot of older electronics).

Eh. Anywho...

So I haven't been able to sleep for more than 2-3 hours in a row for about a week now (most of the time way less, like an hour or 45 minutes). You'd think that would average out when you're still managing 5-7 hours regardless, but it really doesn't. Last night I slept from 10 PM to 3 AM, waking up twice, and stayed up until 8:30 and slept for two hours before school. I'm going to be fucking exhausted by the time class rolls around at 6.

I've been having that happen to me a lot lately, too. I HATE it when that happens. 6+ hour work shifts are that much more stressful as a result, and customers who, on regular days, wouldn't bother me much get that much more irritating as a result.

Maybe there should be some sort of national "everyone get some freakin' sleep" day or something (if there isn't already).

What's great? Competent? Loud? Lots of lights?

Never heard a live version of a Coldplay song that improved on the studio, or that Chrissy sang without going pitchy. That's just my opinion and everything, but I haven't heard much to challenge that. I'm sure seeing them is fun and all, I'd see them at a festival, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking. The prices are worse than U2.

LemonMelon said:
What's great? Competent? Loud? Lots of lights?

Never heard a live version of a Coldplay song that improved on the studio, or that Chrissy sang without going pitchy. That's just my opinion and everything, but I haven't heard much to challenge that. I'm sure seeing them is fun and all, I'd see them at a festival, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking. The prices are worse than U2.

But you should know that watching clips never does justice to the real thing. I HATED Viva La Vida (song) by the time they made it to Australia, but it was incredibly good live.

Saying Chris Martin is an awful frontman is completely subjective. He might be a bit of a tool but he does a great job.

It is, it is. Then again, the criteria for a great frontman also varies. What Bono does well and what Freddie Mercury does well aren't one and the same. I would just argue that Chrissy does few of those things.

But you should know that watching clips never does justice to the real thing. I HATED Viva La Vida (song) by the time they made it to Australia, but it was incredibly good live.

What's the atmosphere like at a Coldplay gig (and this applies to Moonlit Angel, also)? Do they throw a big party, or is it more understated? Do their sets flow well? I wouldn't know, and I'm not going to get a chance to see them this year because of my financial situation. I don't want to judge based 100% on videos, but I've seen dozens of Coldplay performances in the 8 years I've been following them. Really, I want an excuse to see them live. Missed them at Lolla last year.

Jive is totally right. Wikipedia fucked up and aren't even really blacked out. You can still read their articles, like he said, just stop the page from loading.

One reason I don't want to see Coldplay on this tour is the setlists. It's like Parachutes never happened. Green Eyes would be nice.

Speaking of setlists, here's a great one: seeing Los Camp in a couple weeks and they're playing Straight In At 101 every night. Hell yeah.

What's the atmosphere like at a Coldplay gig (and this applies to Moonlit Angel, also)? Do they throw a big party, or is it more understated? Do their sets flow well? I wouldn't know, and I'm not going to get a chance to see them this year because of my financial situation. I don't want to judge based 100% on videos, but I've seen dozens of Coldplay performances in the 8 years I've been following them. Really, I want an excuse to see them live. Missed them at Lolla last year.

I've never actually seen them live myself, so can't comment there. But from what I've seen, it depends on the venue. Smaller ones, they seem to be a little more understated and simple, bigger ones they seem to be a little more active. I just know I saw their Glastonbury show from last year on YouTube, for instance, and I thought they sounded really good.

Set flow, eh, I don't know what to say on that, as I really don't pay attention to that much.

I'm probably not being much help here, am I :p? I mean, yeah, I've heard some off clips myself, too, but again, I just chalk that up to "happens to everyone". As long as the overall passion and fun is still there, I can forgive a bum note or whatever.

("Viva La Vida" IS great live, yes. And I always liked that song, myself. I love that whole album, actually)

*Shuffles back off to her corner now*

It's one thing to criticize a sound based on clips, but the presentation of the concert as a whole (and things like how good of an overall frontman someone is) seems like something you kind of need to be there to judge. I'm not defending Martin by any means, but I can certainly imagine him being relatively engaging as a frontman.

Tool never seemed like the right word for him anyway. He seems more like a geek than anything else.

cobl04 said:
Fuck you. I hope you get Plan A instead of In Medias Res.

I doubt I'm getting either, as the Hello Sadness stuff shoved out songs like In Medias Res and Who Fell Asleep In. Straight In, Romance Is Boring and The Sea Is A Good Place To Think About The Future are still there though.

And I know I've said I'm not a big Hello Sadness fan, but Songs About Your Girlfriend is there, and I'm excited to hear By Your Hand as an opener. That should be awesome.

PhilsFan said:
It's one thing to criticize a sound based on clips, but the presentation of the concert as a whole (and things like how good of an overall frontman someone is) seems like something you kind of need to be there to judge. I'm not defending Martin by any means, but I can certainly imagine him being relatively engaging as a frontman.

Tool never seemed like the right word for him anyway. He seems more like a geek than anything else.

I'll confess to being hasty in calling Chrissy an "awful" frontman. He just isn't as strong of a singer as on record and dances poorly.

I have to admit liking Sex on Fire, though the video only strengthens my suspicions that the song is about STDs. Or maybe STIs.

Also, I have always loved King of the Hill. What makes Hank such a great character is that his moral code is equally capable of making him look ridiculous or heroic. And the supporting cast is great as well.

I got dragged to see Coldplay on the VLV tour. Totally didn't want to go and ended up having a REALLY good time. They put on a great show.

I never watched King of the Hill, either. Though I have a couple of friends who swear by it.

I do know that Tom Petty is one of the recurring voice actors on the show, and that's fucking awesome. Petty rules.

I guess I'll join in on the topic.

I've twice seen Coldplay live, and they kicked ass both times. Very crowd-pleasing live band.

So, put that in your bong and smoke it and get really, super-duper high.

Jive is totally right. Wikipedia fucked up and aren't even really blacked out. You can still read their articles, like he said, just stop the page from loading.

That's deliberate

Is it still possible to access Wikipedia in any way?

Yes. During the blackout, Wikipedia is accessible on mobile devices and smart phones. You can also view Wikipedia normally by disabling JavaScript in your browser, as explained on this Technical FAQ page. Our purpose here isn't to make it completely impossible for people to read Wikipedia, and it's okay for you to circumvent the blackout. We just want to make sure you see our message.

They chose a JavaScript prompt so you'll see the page load and know you're at the right spot before being interrupted. The most efficient way would never allow you to see the page, they just want to offer the candy and then yank it away, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom