Random Music Talk L: I Have A Dreamsicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Dave Sitek could play Superman.

u2popmofo said:
That Comeback Kid single by Sleigh Bells is pretty coolio.

I originally read this as "that comeback single by Coolio"

The mind sees what it wants to, I guess.

I've been listening to at least a handful of songs from the Soft Bulletin every day since I watched that documentary on Pitchfork. It's become a bit of an obsession. When were we first talking about that? Was that about a week ago? I have no sense of time. I know you originally posted the link, cobbs.

I've been listening to a lot of Race For The Prize -> Spoonful Weighs A Ton.

Teehee. Yeah, I think the documentary vid went up last week, maybe week before. I haven't watched it yet.

I remember getting Soft Bulletin through BMG. Sorta weird to think about those services now, seems like ages ago.

Watch it ASAP, mofopop. It's brilliant.

GirlsAloudFan said:
I've been listening to at least a handful of songs from the Soft Bulletin every day since I watched that documentary on Pitchfork. It's become a bit of an obsession. When were we first talking about that? Was that about a week ago? I have no sense of time. I know you originally posted the link, cobbs.

I've been listening to a lot of Race For The Prize -> Spoonful Weighs A Ton.

Yeah last week. My appreciation for the record has really gone up since watching it. Race for the Prize > Spoonful > Spark That Bled is an incredible opening trio.

NEW LAPTOP, BITCHES!!! 2012 in music isn't going to know what hit it from me. I have a lot to make up for.

Listening to Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not for the first time in years. Alex Turner never topped this one lyrically, and the energy is undeniable, but I think the melodies here pale in comparison to most of Suck It And See. He's becoming a better songwriter in general, but I think he needs to step away from the abstract and start writing more grounded storylines like these. That's just one dude's opinion, man, but I've been following these guys since the beginning and I think Turner is an album away from really perfecting his style.

Ohhhhhh, what's that "Jolly Roger" bit from? I know that line, I'm totally blanking right now, though.

Woo for new laptops! I want to get a laptop of my own someday...

Listening to Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not for the first time in years. Alex Turner never topped this one lyrically, and the energy is undeniable, but I think the melodies here pale in comparison to most of Suck It And See. He's becoming a better songwriter in general, but I think he needs to step away from the abstract and start writing more grounded storylines like these. That's just one dude's opinion, man, but I've been following these guys since the beginning and I think Turner is an album away from really perfecting his style.

You know, I've only ever heard one song by these guys, that "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor". I did like that song. May have to check these guys out a little bit more.

Ohhhhhh, what's that "Jolly Roger" bit from? I know that line, I'm totally blanking right now, though.

A Serious Man. Great film, really quotable like usual Coens fare. Boy is it a bummer though.

If you like that Arctic Monkeys track, keep in mind that their later stuff is radically different. Humbug is heavier, slower, and leans a bit toward stoner rock, kinda. Suck It And See is their most poppy and distinctly Beatlesque. The first two albums are somewhat of a piece, but the debut is more brisk and scrappy than anything else in their discography.

If you like that Arctic Monkeys track, keep in mind that their later stuff is radically different. Humbug is heavier, slower, and leans a bit toward stoner rock, kinda. Suck It And See is their most poppy and distinctly Beatlesque. The first two albums are somewhat of a piece, but the debut is more brisk and scrappy than anything else in their discography.

I probably should hear something from them at some point.

A Serious Man. Great film, really quotable like usual Coens fare. Boy is it a bummer though.

Heh, actually, what I was thinking of with the mention of "Jolly Roger" just came to me, and it's a different line from something else entirely :p.

Still, though, I've heard that about that movie, yeah, I'll have to check it out. The only Coens film I've ever seen is 'O Brother, Where Art Thou', and that was back in high school.

Fine with me. I've learned to not always go strictly by a band's singles. The Beatle-esque one in particular interests me, 'cause I love that sort of music, but I'll definitely check out stuff from their discography as a whole. Thanks for the info :).

That's the only Coen film you've seen? Man, if you want to hang in Random, you've got a few to see yet if you want to know what we're talking about half the time. :lol: I don't think we've gone a week without quoting the Big Lebowski at some point.

Fargo is my personal favorite, largely due to Frances McDormand's measured, subtly turbulent performance. But there's a whole subforum for this.

Snowmaggedon, bitches. It's coming.

(Or not. Because when they proactively close the schools, and our office is declared closed a day early .... you know it's not actually happening.)

That's the only Coen film you've seen? Man, if you want to hang in Random, you've got a few to see yet if you want to know what we're talking about half the time. :lol: I don't think we've gone a week without quoting the Big Lebowski at some point.

Fargo is my personal favorite, largely due to Frances McDormand's measured, subtly turbulent performance. But there's a whole subforum for this.

Haha, yeah, I'm so horribly out of it with that stuff. Need to catch up big time. But that's why I just focus on commenting on stuff I actually can contribute something to :p.

But yes. At some point I'll start expanding my movie knowledge more.

Suck it and See is brilliant.

ohhhh man that needs to be my next listen, it's one of those titles that's been rattling around the ole' brain skull for a while but I never got around to getting around to it.

Do Me A Favour, If You Were There Beware, Crying Lightning, and A Certain Romance are my top played Monkeys songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom