Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tenor.gif

Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland. Masturbating while crying on the bleachers behind my high school after a urinary accident forced me to leave Junior Prom in embarrassment and shame.

we get it you like drug fueled sex or something

What does everyone have on their Depeche Mode Rushmore?

I’d go with Blasphemous Rumours, Policy of Truth, Stripped, and Clean.

Never Let Me Down Again
Walking in my Shoes
Enjoy the Silence
A Pain that I’m Used to
honorable mention to Condemnation

Last edited:
As relating to U2, Bad takes me to many places, but one exceptionally fun to note that’s rather vivid was the final day of freshman year at UCF, as I prepared to leave the dorms. We had some $20 couch and a makeshift tv stand and a few other trinkets to share in our communal living room that we had to dispose of. So we dragged it all out first near the library and UCF’s “reflection pond”, and placed it smack dab in front of the administrative building. The couch, the table, the tv stand, a sound system and a 12” tube amp for good measures. And something compelled me to plug my iPod in and crank it up to max volume, where I broadcasted Bad (live) where the sounds pretty much made it across campus. Thing is,
The reflection pond is right in the center, and it is depressed such that it behaves like an amphitheater.

Oh, this was at like 2 AM.

Music's power blows me away sometimes. I just put on Drowning Man for a playlist I'm trying to make and was instantly transported to my bedroom, at the age of 15 or so, after Scouts on Wednesday night, listening to War for the first time. Pretty amazing.

I've been digitizing my CD collection over the weekend, and it's taking me to so many places in the late 1990s and early 2000s before I started buying vinyl. It's an awesome feeling, nostalgia notwithstanding.

Bands/artists that I sort of had forgotten about but had a good time listening to them again: Damien Rice, The Sundays, Stars, Tori Amos, TV on the Radio (I've only managed to go through letters R-Z at this point).

Little Earthquakes is a fucking masterpiece.

Last edited:
As relating to U2, Bad takes me to many places, but one exceptionally fun to note that’s rather vivid was the final day of freshman year at UCF, as I prepared to leave the dorms. We had some $20 couch and a makeshift tv stand and a few other trinkets to share in our communal living room that we had to dispose of. So we dragged it all out first near the library and UCF’s “reflection pond”, and placed it smack dab in front of the administrative building. The couch, the table, the tv stand, a sound system and a 12” tube amp for good measures. And something compelled me to plug my iPod in and crank it up to max volume, where I broadcasted Bad (live) where the sounds pretty much made it across campus. Thing is,
The reflection pond is right in the center, and it is depressed such that it behaves like an amphitheater.

Oh, this was at like 2 AM.

Righto Andy Dufresne :wink:

"Magnificent Seven" by The Clash is a great song, but "Italian mobster shoots a lobster" is one of the stupidest lyrics of all time.

"Magnificent Seven" by The Clash is a great song, but "Italian mobster shoots a lobster" is one of the stupidest lyrics of all time.

I assume lobster here is one of the British slang definitions ( a red faced guy or a British soldier are 2 possibilities) and not a tasty boiled crustacean dipped in drawn butter.

It's been a while since we had a discussion about Sandinista!, or since I've been able to give a shout-out to "Scuttling To Stand Still".

And so it woke up
Woke up from where it was on the sand
Said "I gotta do something about where I'm swimmin"
Caught in a fishnet
Thrown on the starboard deck
Maybe run from the markets in the night
Drumming ha, ah la la la de day
Ah la la la de day
Ah la la de day

Sweet the shell
Butter, the taste in my mouth
I eat seven legs
But I only see one more left
You got to dip without soaking
Crack without crushing
Cream without losing the taste
You know I ordered bisque from the lunch menu
Then they brought it out to me
Eating ha la la la de day
Ha la la la de day
Ha la la de day

Oooooh...

It swims through the straits with claws painted red
Under a black belly of ship in the bay
In through a hatchway
They brought out crustacean pearls
Stolen from the sea it was raging, it was raging
And the rubber bands up its claws
It will suffer the boiling swill
It's scuttling to stand still

Whatever. I could have said my favourite Clash song was Career Opportunities, but as it happens, I wasn't taking the piss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom