Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's close. Good luck in the next few months! Hope Ashley is well.

Depeche Mode has always been a huge blind spot for me. And I know that's kinda funny being a massive U2 fan because many U2 fans love Depeche Mode and vice versa. They're both artsy, moody European bands from the same era.

Well, I finally had my first listen to VIOLATOR and it is gorgeous. Think I was only two or three songs into it when I said out loud to myself "This is really good."

Standout track for me on first listen was probably "Waiting For The Night." It feels like a song I've known for years yet I heard it for the first time today.

i used to listen to this guy a lot when i was in high school and college because he came from my hometown, but once i moved away i sort of lost track of his music. the last day or two i've been listening to some of the stuff he's made in the last 10 or so years and holy hell some of it's really good.

the last 3:00 of this song :drool:

Depeche Mode has always been a huge blind spot for me. And I know that's kinda funny being a massive U2 fan because many U2 fans love Depeche Mode and vice versa. They're both artsy, moody European bands from the same era.

Well, I finally had my first listen to VIOLATOR and it is gorgeous. Think I was only two or three songs into it when I said out loud to myself "This is really good."

Standout track for me on first listen was probably "Waiting For The Night." It feels like a song I've known for years yet I heard it for the first time today.

You should prioritize the albums that bookend that one, Music For The Masses and Songs of Faith and Devotion.

Followed by the ones that bookend those, Black Celebration and Ultra

Last edited:
Followed by the ones that backend those, Black Celebration and Ultra

Exactly what I wanted to post.

They're a great live band, so 101 is a must, along with their video live recordings such as Devotional.

Black Celebration is probably my favorite, followed by Music for the Masses and Ultra, actually. Their highest peaks are on Violator though. Tough to argue with those singles, overplayed though they may be.

Violator is a masterpiece. As much as I love DM, I don't think they are much of an albums band, though their singles discography is about as good as it gets.

Violator, Black Celebration & Songs of Faith and Devotion are my favorite DM albums.

I hope they continue touring every few years, still haven’t seen them live.

Don’t forget Some Great Reward.

I disagree that they’re not an albums band, as there aren’t many clunkers on the titles listed so far.

But if I could only desert island one of their LPs, it would probably be 101 because it contains most of their best pre-1990 tracks and the energy level is pretty damned high.

Their highest peaks are on Violator though. Tough to argue with those singles, overplayed though they may be.

Even as someone who prefers MFTM and SOFAD over Violator, I can see where you’re going with that, because those singles all hold up really well and also happen to be the album’s four best tracks. Flood’s production is immaculate. If pressed, though, I still might take Never Let Me Down Again/Strangelove/Behind the Wheel/Nothing (the latter not a single but easily could/should have been).

Last edited:
Totally random question here, but for anyone from Boston or who has traveled out of Boston a lot, do the Amtrak trains tend to run on time? I might have to get to New Haven and back on a fairly tight schedule.

Been away so a tad late, but Amcrash is generally reliable around here, especially if its not winter.

December 4th. Time has really started accelerating the past few months; she'll be here in no time.

If she's born on that exact date, she'll share a birthday with Marisa Tomei and her crazy Uncle Hewson.
(Still trying to line up a joint birthday "celebration" with me and Marisa Tomei).

And to add my unpopular 2 cents to the DM discussion, much as I like the original, I find this cover far superior...

Love the guitar in the last minute

Desert Daze just added Slowdive to their lineup, which already includes My Bloody Valentine, Tame Impala, Ty Segall, Warpaint, Jarvis Cocker, and Mercury Rev. If you’re in SoCal this should be a no-brainer.

I saw the lineup when it was first announced and was like, fuck it, I'll go without Travis.

Then I remembered the whole pregnancy thing and realized that wasn't a good idea. My heart breaks every time I get an e-mail update about it.

Some personal news:

Mrs. Gump is pregnant, a little boy expected for early March.

Damn I feel old.
!!! Congratulations!

Weird side effect of (FINALLY) seeing Erasure live for the first time was I've been *super* into Depeche Mode again lately. Need to give Violator a spin on my way home from work.

If she's born on that exact date, she'll share a birthday with Marisa Tomei and her crazy Uncle Hewson.
(Still trying to line up a joint birthday "celebration" with me and Marisa Tomei).

I'll do my best?

OK, with all that aside, if anyone wants to play Fantasy Football, please let me know in the Put 'Em Under Pressure thread. This is my PSA on the subject, back to your regularly scheduled random.

I listened through a few times and felt the same :( it’s a fucking great vibe (and it’s so nice to hear Diddy!! Underrated r&b vocallist) but nothing blew my mind :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom