Random Music Talk CXXIV: Axver's All Out of Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked a few songs on the Greta Van Fleet EP, but I think most of my reaction to it was "holy shit, they sound so much like Zepplin," which entertained me. I don't know that I've ever heard a new band sound so much like another band, with a sound-alike singer. That said, I have no interest in checking out their full-length.

In other news, I'm super excited for the new Robyn album.

So I listened to Cat Power's album yesterday... what a disappointment :( very hushed and insular, very sparse... I'm sure it will have its fans but even as I was driving it was just nothing, I was completely disconnected from it. None of what I loved so much about Sun. "Woman" is great and "Black" certainly grips you, but outside of that it was a bore in my opinion.

I then started playing Kurt Vile's new record. Only got a few songs in. "Bassackwards" is fucking brilliant, that can stand up with his best tunes for sure, even if it's a little long.

The new Julia Holter and Robyn albums are fantastic. Plus, Thom's Suspiria soundtrack is out. And, if you're wanting something in a more noise rock vein, the new Daughters album is solid.

Great day for music.

Boygenius (the Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy David supergroup) just dropped their full ep on streaming sites two weeks early as well!

Five more days until the stupid Halloween-themed Twitter handles go away for another year.

it's actually criminal that they never released this song as anything other than a b-side (thanks to noel's ridiculous fucking ego), because i think it's easily one of the top 3 songs oasis ever made:

Saw Elton John’s Farewell Yellow Brick Road tonight, probably and first concert I’ve been to in at least 7 years and probably the best overall I’ve ever seen. Was unsure how how he’d be at his age but holy shit he’s on top of his shit. What a show, three hours of most of the best songs ever written. Someone Saved My Life Tonight is the greatest song.

That’s all bye

I like halloween because it's the one time of year that I can go around dressed as Don Draper.

"And who are you supposed to be?"

Saw Elton John’s Farewell Yellow Brick Road tonight, probably and first concert I’ve been to in at least 7 years and probably the best overall I’ve ever seen. Was unsure how how he’d be at his age but holy shit he’s on top of his shit. What a show, three hours of most of the best songs ever written. Someone Saved My Life Tonight is the greatest song.

That’s all bye

I saw him live 11 years ago, it was amazing. Hope to see this new show before he hangs it up for good.

I like the new Kurt Vile quite a bit, but like everything else he does, it took me three sittings to get through it all.

That’s all bye

I feel I really need to see John before he finishes up, has a stellar catalogue behind him - hopefully he will swing by Melbourne one more time.

I went to see Paul McCartney last year because I was certain that there would never be another opportunity - his energy for an older geezer blew me away. Sounds like Elton John would do the same.

Unfortunately I couldn't make Macca. That will very likely sting forever.

I like the new Kurt Vile quite a bit, but like everything else he does, it took me three sittings to get through it all.

It kind of just meanders on and doesn't really lift itself out of the mire, and I don't really feel the need to buy it, I've already got a better record of his. But Bassackwards rules.

Managed to grab two Elton John tickets in the presale, but god that fucker is still a year away. Glad I'll be going, but I hate this trend of tickets going on sale a year before the show.

Managed to grab two Elton John tickets in the presale, but god that fucker is still a year away. Glad I'll be going, but I hate this trend of tickets going on sale a year before the show.

It's becoming more and more ridiculous. Last week or so I saw an announcement for a concert by Electric Six (anyone still remember them) for November... 2019. And that's just a club gig (venue holds 800 max I believe), not some mega-spectacle that involves heavy planning.

Anyone have tickets yet for Reef's 2021 gigs? :rolleyes:

i think it's a bit dickish to sell tickets a little over a year away from a show.

like, if i was a casual fan of a band and heard they were coming town on november 15th, i don't really think i should have to check what particular year the show is in.

Last edited:
Enjoyed Robyn's newest, outside of the two beachier tracks near the end. Really satisfied my love for 90s electro.

Pleased with the new Robyn as well. It's unlikely she'll ever top Body Talk for me, but after being mostly disappointed in her collaboration with Royksopp a few years ago, I'm relieved to see she's back to form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom