Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's an update now, and it's nothing good. It's not confirmed yet, but I'm feeling pretty miserable right now.

Terrible news. Fuck. The last two messages he sent on his Twitter are so haunting now. It's crazy, the guy basically put his suicide note on Twitter. Fucked up. So sad for his friends and family.

Terrible news. Fuck. The last two messages he sent on his Twitter are so haunting now. It's crazy, the guy basically put his suicide note on Twitter. Fucked up. So sad for his friends and family.

God, yeah, this is awful.

giphy.gif

New Beach House and Arctic Monkeys today. Today is going to be a sexy day.

It's not half way through the year yet, but please tell me some of your favorite 2018 albums so I may learn of some I've not heard.

It's not half way through the year yet, but please tell me some of your favorite 2018 albums so I may learn of some I've not heard.

My favourite so far is Wisteria by Death and the Maiden, which I posted about here: http://www.u2interference.com/forum...k-cxxii-2018-it-is-221929-93.html#post8258290

Others:

Animal Flag - Void Ripper (emo)
Blush Response - Hearts Grow Dull (shoegaze)
The Body - I Have Fought Against It, But I Can't Any Longer (truly punishing drone metal)
God Is an Astronaut - Epitaph (post-rock)
ionnalee - Everyone Afraid to Be Forgotten (artsy synthpop; better known as half of iamamiwhoami)
Lowtide - Southern Mind (shoegaze)
Lucy Dacus - Historian (indie rock)
Poliça and Stargaze - Music for the Long Emergency (art pop)
Priest - The Lost Lions EP (synthpop)
Ride - Tomorrow's Shore EP (shoegaze/kinda psychedelic dream pop)
Salad Boys - This Is Glue (jangle pop)
Turnstile - Time and Space (hardcore punk)
Wild Meadows - s/t (shoegaze/indie rock)
Woodes - Golden Hour EP (synthpop)

I had high hopes for Young Galaxy, and wished for A Place to Bury Strangers to return to form, but neither delivered the goods, alas. Young Galaxy's album could barely be more dull if they had tried.

My top 20 for the year so far looks like:

Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy (indie rock)
Hookworms - Microshift (neo-psychedelia, electronic)
DJ Koze - Knock Knock (house)
A.A.L. (Against All Logic) - 2012-2017 (house)
MGMT - Little Dark Age (neo-psychedelia, synthpop)
Beach House - 7 (dream pop)
U.S. Girls - In a Poem Unlimited (neo-psychedelia, disco)
Mount Eerie - Now Only (indie folk)
Saba - Care For Me (hip hop)
Kali Uchis - Isolation (neo-soul)
Screaming Females - All At Once (indie rock)
Jeff Rosenstock - POST- (indie rock)
Nils Frahm - All Melody (electronic, modern classical)
Anna von Hausswolff - Dead Magic (ethereal wave)
Sons of Kemet - Your Queen Is a Reptile (afro-jazz)
Hop Along - Bark Your Head Off, Dog (indie rock)
Superchunk - What a Time to Be Alive (power pop)
Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour (country pop)
No Age - Snares Like a Haircut (noise rock)
Jean Grae x Quelle Chris - Everything's Fine (abstract hip hop)

And what a strange top 20 it is for me. A lot of these artists I've never ranked that highly before or have only just been introduced to them over the past year or two. This is a good thing.

Last edited:
Am I the only one here who heard the Forth Wanderers album? Blind bought it from iTunes after reading the Pitchfork article about them.

Really like it a lot.

Other standouts so far from this year:

Tracey Thorn - Record (if you’re a fan of Everything But The Girl, you should know what to expect)
Ty Segall - Freedom’s Goblin (double album that doesn’t really flag, very impressive)

And of course the new Janelle Monae.

Also I couldn’t really like Sons of Kemet record as much as I wanted; in terms of politically charged spoken word jazz album, I much prefer Irreversible Entanglements’ s/t album from last year

But the first 3 songs absolutely put me to sleep. Have any post rock bands put interesting records within last 3 years?

Being all "genre-x is over" is just the most eyeroll-inducing thing, though.

Unless you're talking about witch house, in which case it really is over, and more's the pity.

Being all "genre-x is over" is just the most eyeroll-inducing thing, though.

Unless you're talking about witch house, in which case it really is over, and more's the pity.

This is an online forum, did you think this is immune to hot takes? Think again

And the God Is an Astronaut album is nowhere near All Is Violent, All Is Bright, but it's still pretty damn good. They're an amazingly consistent band. Other post-rock bands have become very dull - I can't remember a note of EITS's last one - but every GIAA album is worth listening to.

Other quality post-rock albums from the past three years:

Kokomo - Monochrome Noise Love
Les Flavescences - ☉
Meniscus - Refractions
Mono - Requiem for Hell (their best ever, if you ask me)
Russian Circles - Guidance
Sannhet - So Numb
Sleepmakeswaves - Made of Breath Only
Solkyri - Sad Boys Club
Toundra - Vortex
Tuber - Out of the Blue
We Lost the Sea - Departure Songs
Yndi Halda - Under Summer

And the God Is an Astronaut album is nowhere near All Is Violent, All Is Bright, but it's still pretty damn good. They're an amazingly consistent band. Other post-rock bands have become very dull - I can't remember a note of EITS's last one - but every GIAA album is worth listening to.

Other quality post-rock albums from the past three years:

Kokomo - Monochrome Noise Love
Les Flavescences - ☉
Meniscus - Refractions
Mono - Requiem for Hell (their best ever, if you ask me)
Russian Circles - Guidance
Sannhet - So Numb
Sleepmakeswaves - Made of Breath Only
Solkyri - Sad Boys Club
Toundra - Vortex
Tuber - Out of the Blue
We Lost the Sea - Departure Songs
Yndi Halda - Under Summer
I always picked you as an L-Z rather than an A-K phonebook fan

I always picked you as an L-Z rather than an A-K phonebook fan

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one thinking "gee where are the bands from the start of the alphabet".

Post-rock is bigoted against A-J.

Im actually pretty hyped for new Mouse On the Keys album tho. it has great features including Mario from CHON and all that, and they are pretty unique compared to other post-rock/instrumental bands out there.

but really, lately I enjoy more jazz in terms of instrumental music so maybe my opinions are bit irrelevant here, who knows?

Last edited:
Am I the only one here who heard the Forth Wanderers album? Blind bought it from iTunes after reading the Pitchfork article about them.

Really like it a lot.

I listened to it after the review, but don't remember much about it. I'll have to give it another listen.

DJ Koze - Knock Knock (house)
Beach House - 7 (dream pop)
No Age - Snares Like a Haircut (noise rock)

3 of my favs as well. I saw No Age open for Liars 10+ years back. The guitar player jumped off of the stage during the middle of a song, handed his guitar to a random guy in the crowd while the drummer continues playing, the random guy then launches into an epic solo and both guys in No Age proceed to lose their minds and cheer him on with everyone else in the crowd. It was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom