Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My qualm with the song “Graffiti” is that she actually sings the word “graffiti.” That word does not sound nice while sung. But the song overall is good.

come on guys, compared to their old stuff, new CHVRCHES album is dogshit.

I can see rating it a bit lower because it brings basically nothing to the table that the band have not done before, but "dogshit"? If you like the first two albums I just can't see how you could possibly not enjoy this on almost the same level.

Graffiti and Get Out are instant Chvrches classics. The album falls off from God's Plan onwards, and it proves yet again that no man should be allowed to sing anywhere near Lauren Mayberry because she makes all blokes sound like shit, but then no Chvrches album has been free from the occasional dropoff in quality.

It's a good album. 3.5 or 4/5 in RYM language; definitely an album where I wish there was a 3.75 ranking available.

No way is that Chvrches album anywhere near a 4/5. It's stiff, overproduced and loaded with repetitive hooks. No imagination in the arrangements and no room to breathe in the production. The chorus of Miracle is laughably terrible, it sounds like a fucking Imagine Dragons track:

0:57 I was actually waiting for some kind of dated wub-wub-wub bass drop.

There are good tracks on the album like Graffiti, Get Out and Wonderland, but it's definitely their weakest yet.

Also considering most of synth based bangers aren’t vogue anymore, this new Chvrches album with tons of those pop cliche sounds so dated despite of being from 2018. Like I’m not saying they ought to use syncopated hi hats and auto tune crooning but, I don’t know, everything sounds just badly dated

It's probably my least favorite of theirs, but I still enjoyed it. I'll listen to it more.

Also considering most of synth based bangers aren’t vogue anymore, this new Chvrches album with tons of those pop cliche sounds so dated despite of being from 2018. Like I’m not saying they ought to use syncopated hi hats and auto tune crooning but, I don’t know, everything sounds just badly dated

This aptly describes my opinion. :up:

I'm surprised to see the amount of people here who bash most of recent U2 for being too poppy and manufactured yet actually like songs like Chvrches "Get Out." That has to be one of the most repetitive, annoying, cliched (lyrically and musically) pop songs I've heard in a while. It fits right in with songs like Imagine Dragons "Thunder on the Hot 100.

Last edited:
My initial impression of Get Out is that it sounds flat, like one of those videos on youtube where everything is tuned to the one scale.

I’ve tried listening to Get Out on the radio, but I never make it very far before turning the station.

I think the album isn’t as good overall as their prior, but on par with their first.

But Waring Call is the best thing from this “time”. Even off album.

I saw the band Pond last night. Most of the between song banter was the members of the band trying to pronounce "Yuengling."

I also think the production on their albums must be fucking atrocious by Kevin Parker, because I had no idea they had such an enthusiastic, engaging, flamboyant frontman. Those songs took off way more live, largely thanks to his energy.

I'm so happy right now I want to fucking cry. DESTROYER ARE TOURING. And they're fucking playing at the venue down the road from my house. I never thought this day would come :sad::heart:

Yay! We agree.

:up:

It's stiff, overproduced and loaded with repetitive hooks.

It sounds like every other Chvrches album. Like, you can literally mix and match from all three albums, make a playlist of 11, and somebody who has never heard them before would think it's a standard album rather than a comp.

Also considering most of synth based bangers aren’t vogue anymore

Yes we know you have to try to show how desperately on trend you are.

If your main criticism is something isn't in vogue, go home.

It's probably my least favorite of theirs, but I still enjoyed it. I'll listen to it more.

Yeah, this. I love the first album and like the second one and this one.

I'm surprised to see the amount of people here who bash most of recent U2 for being too poppy and manufactured yet actually like songs like Chvrches "Get Out."

lolwut

It sounds like every other Chvrches album. Like, you can literally mix and match from all three albums, make a playlist of 11, and somebody who has never heard them before would think it's a standard album rather than a comp.

And yet there are loads and loads of people acting betrayed over this album, claiming Chvrches are trying too hard for a radio hit. I can see both sides; some tracks sound like them, whereas others (like Miracle) are desperate cash grabs.

seriously who cares about some synth pop when Failure is coming out with a new album and they already released 2 EPs that would be a part of the album?

Same here, I don't think I've heard more than one (mega)Chvrches song in my life. And it's not a vogue thing. It's not a... fashion... thing.

We are the goon squad and we're coming to town, beep beep!

It's freaky being in Hollywood and seeing a billboard for Scientology like it's no big deal.

I'm sure it is no big deal... in Hollywood.

Sometimes it even leaks out into interviews and you realise how out of touch with the world these lauded people are. Celebrities will save us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom