Random Music Talk CXXIII: Cilantro Lover's Club - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #201
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:49 PM

since my friend told me about this band, I cant stop listening to their songs

Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #202
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:49 AM
They played at Desert Daze last year. Great set, everyone there seemed to be digging it a lot.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

a times they sound like lounge band and I cant get into it but lately I need more relaxation, so
Old 05-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #204
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

lately Miles Davis' live album Black Beauty sounds so good and I don't know why
Old 05-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #205
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
lately Miles Davis' live album Black Beauty sounds so good and I don't know why
Must be all the eggs, olives and spinach you've been eating recently
Old 05-18-2018, 10:48 AM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabigon View Post
Must be all the eggs, olives and spinach you've been eating recently
well what can I do? we have to convince Martha that spinach isn't that bad
Old 05-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #207
45:33

I thought I hated spinach until I tried it. It's completely fine. Great leaf to accompany dinner.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I heard its been a year since Chris Cornell's death. well it could be a day off because of time differences and such, but, this really reminds me that time flies really fast
Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM   #209
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:49 PM
My Sirius radio was tuned to Lithium this morning when I got in the car. I’m not a Soundgarden fan, but I listened to their entire Artist Confidential with Chris Cornell this morning. He played a cover of Nothing Compares 2 U, and it was bluesy and lovely.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #210
Blue Crack Distributor

Bono snippeted Black Hole Sun the other night in remembrance. It was very nice.

Also, a second round of thank yous for the well wishes I missed yesterday evening!
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
My Sirius radio was tuned to Lithium this morning when I got in the car. I’m not a Soundgarden fan, but I listened to their entire Artist Confidential with Chris Cornell this morning. He played a cover of Nothing Compares 2 U, and it was bluesy and lovely.
He does a great job with that, had a knack for acoustic covers that he really made his own, like his U2/Metallica one mash up.

His untimely death bothers me as much as any rock star death. Supreme talent and seemingly had gotten his shit together later in life, good marriage, loved his kids and then out of nowhere hangs himself. I know his wife believes it was cause he took too much medication and wasn't thinking clearly, and I think there's something to it.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Also, a second round of thank yous for the well wishes I missed yesterday evening!

Late to the party but congrats!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #213
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Late to the party but congrats!

Old 05-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #214
The Male

Thanks for all of the congratulations and well-wishes, everyone. Ashley moves into the second trimester next week and we'll find out the sex of the baby pretty soon, maybe middle of next month. Due date is the first week of December. Late in the year, but not quite late enough to be one of those Christmas babies that gets their birthday lumped in with everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
that kid is going to have exceptional musical taste. congrats guys!
One of the best gifts I can give my kid that my father didn't give me was the knowledge that hip hop is an amazing genre and subculture that you shouldn't be wary to explore. He's the kind of guy who would agree with Geraldo that rap music is more harmful to black youths than racism. My taste in music opened way up when I heard Paul's Boutique and Late Registration for the first time at 15.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #215
The Male

Without exaggeration, I think Sparkle Hard is my favorite Malkmus record since Pavement broke up. The melodies and writing are so good, Stephen shreds a bit, and there's plenty of variety. I could play this all day.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #216
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Without exaggeration, I think Sparkle Hard is my favorite Malkmus record since Pavement broke up. The melodies and writing are so good, Stephen shreds a bit, and there's plenty of variety. I could play this all day.
It's really good, I enjoyed my first time through it a great deal.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:09 AM   #217

I'm really trying to listen to more women. I tried to do that '10 days 10 albums' thing (can't remember if I already posted this or not) and I wanted it to be a 50-50 gender split. But whilst there are 100s of albums by male artists that I could pick, there's barely any by females that jump out at me and that makes me sad.

I wonder if we could have a discussion in here about your favourite records by females (or female-led groups). Name them, across all genres, and say why you love them. I really need to up my count.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #218

Also on a different note, André 3000's "Me&My (To Bury Your Parents)" that he just dropped is fucking stunning. I'm not just saying it because I'm a stan, it's gorgeous and heartbreaking and moving. James Blake pays piano. 3000 sings and plays clarinet. It just blows me away how talented he is.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:20 AM   #219
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I'm really trying to listen to more women. I tried to do that '10 days 10 albums' thing (can't remember if I already posted this or not) and I wanted it to be a 50-50 gender split. But whilst there are 100s of albums by male artists that I could pick, there's barely any by females that jump out at me and that makes me sad.

I wonder if we could have a discussion in here about your favourite records by females (or female-led groups). Name them, across all genres, and say why you love them. I really need to up my count.
yo I found this new jazz album from Yazu Ahmed and she's a woman, so, its not that hard, Cobbler, if you look for it.

I cant really tell what's really my favorite but I found this Japanese DJ/electronica artist Sapphire Slows and she's cool
Old 05-19-2018, 05:03 AM   #220
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

Always down for that. I've been partial to female-fronted bands and solo artists for a long time, so there's a shitload for me to talk about.

Two of my favorites from the 90s are British act Saint Etienne (retro/dance pop) and Dutch band Bettie Serveert (indie rock). The former has a pretty huge following and is still putting out great music. The latter is definitely obscure but they were on Matador in the 90s (they covered Pavement's Trigger Cut once) and got some decent airplay on college radio. They're still recording on smaller labels and are still good but nothing essential in a while.

Also on Matador, Liz Phair's first two albums are legit classics (her debut just got a boxed set reissue) and essential listening, she's easily one of the decade's best songwriters. And the debut LP from Helium is also a stunner, a little weirder in terms of its sonic palette, more angular approach.

The last one I'll mention for now is Everything But The Girl, who took a lot of turns over their discography, but broke through big with their folk pop period and then went right into drum & bass and house after that. They're so damned good, and Tracey Thorn's voice is impeccable.

So, in short, for starters:

Saint Etienne: Good Humor, Foxbase Alpha
Bettie Serveert: Palomine, Dust Bunnies
Liz Phair: Exile in Guyville, Whip-Smart
Helium: The Dirt of Luck
Everything But The Girl: Amplified Heart, Walking Wounded