Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias, guys.

I didn’t go only because the tickets were so fucking expensive.

Bradman is another over-rated Paul Kelly snoozefest.

His long rambly story songs do not do it for me one bit. I'm here for his excellent chorus hooks.

Plus Bradman's also a little bit dependent on you caring about Don Bradman... and I kinda don't. I generally avoid Paul Kelly's cricket songs.

Everything's Turning To White on the other hand is unforgettable. Maybe I just feel that way because it always makes me think (obviously) of the film 'Jindabyne', but yeah.

Everything's Turning To White on the other hand is unforgettable. Maybe I just feel that way because it always makes me think (obviously) of the film 'Jindabyne', but yeah.

I've not seen that film, but just before I went to ask what it was about, I thought I'd look it up, and yeah, based off the same short story. It's a remarkable short story. So powerful. And PK's version is haunting.

I've not seen that film, but just before I went to ask what it was about, I thought I'd look it up, and yeah, based off the same short story. It's a remarkable short story. So powerful. And PK's version is haunting.

Yeah, a Raymond Carver short story, I believe.

I'm pretty sure Kelly had a hand in the soundtrack work on that film, also, and if not, then certainly on Lantana by the same director a couple of years earlier.

Frankly a lot of that evocative film score stuff of his is almost more interesting to me than his regular hits.

Last edited:
See, I fucking love cricket, and that song still doesn't get there for me.

I also don't go for Leaps and Bounds as it references the MCG.

Remember that time when the Late Show did a piss take about Things Of Stone And Wood, about their song ticking off Melbourne cliches and landmarks?

Hey Cobbs, have you listened to Mod Con?

This year's Cable Ties, perhaps. I suppose in style they sit somewhere between Cable Ties and Wet Lips.

I have not. Should I?

Also, I've been trying to do the '10 albums' thing on FB, but I'd really like to split it male-female 50-50, but whilst there are like shittons of albums by men that immediately spring to mind, very few by females come to mind :( I need to listen to more women.

I also don't go for Leaps and Bounds as it references the MCG.

Remember that time when the Late Show did a piss take about Things Of Stone And Wood, about their song ticking off Melbourne cliches and landmarks?

Absolutely fuck you on your first point, why do you hate the single greatest construction mankind has ever made?

Of course I fucking remember it. It's iconic. Rhyming Captain Cook's cabin with Moorabbin. Incredible.

giphy.gif

On double billing, I once had a The National (opener)/Modest Mouse/R.E.M. in MSG (circa 2008). That was pretty awesome.

So you mean a triple billing?

Well, I am tend to see a double billing as a show when there's technically not a headliner. In this case, it was a double billing with Modest Mouse/REM (I think they were touring together or something like that), and The National were an opener.

I guess it doesn't really matter.

Hewson, I have that photo of Mr. Worldwide saved in my faves. You never know when you’re gonna need it.

So I wanna recommend DJ Koze to a coworker this morning...is it pronounced Cozy?

So, I did not know until Cinco de Mayo that cilantro and coriander are the same thing.

You know that thing where you didn't know something until recently and then you run into it all the time? I just found out about this last week and it's the third time now I've seen it referenced since.

I mean, let's be real, if that was your music scene, that's a jam, right there.

I would NEVER name myself after something as vile as cilantro.

Coriander at least sounds pleasant. Had I known it was the same thing, I would have thrown Find the River into the trash and never listened to it again.

Damn it, Stipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom