Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when i see the coachella poster i usually laugh a lot at how stupid the new band names i've never heard of are, but this year there are some pretty good ones. "the mild high club" is a good band name. so is "the rolling blackouts".

"super duper kyle", not so much.

when i see the coachella poster i usually laugh a lot at how stupid the new band names i've never heard of are, but this year there are some pretty good ones. "the mild high club" is a good band name. so is "the rolling blackouts".

"super duper kyle", not so much.

can you not read??? it's Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever :mad:

and they're spectacular.

"jeff goldblum and the mildred snitzer orchestra" sounds pretty intriguing if you ask me.

The BLUM plays some mean jazz piano. I bet that would be a good time, if he were on a legitimate poster somewhere.

can you not read???

says the grown man who thought pickles and cucumbers were entirely different things a week ago.

"rolling blackouts coastal fever" is a stupid band name. "the rolling blackouts" is so vastly superior that i hope several publicists declined to represent the band because they refused to be called that.

that being said, the band is pretty good. too bad the lead singer sounds like a toothpaste tube being crushed for the last bits of paste before it goes in the bin.

they should change their name and hire axl rose. then they'll really be famous.

that being said, the band is pretty good. too bad the lead singer sounds like a toothpaste tube being crushed for the last bits of paste before it goes in the bin.

This is why I never got into them.

Cobbler, you're going to hate me but I once passed up the opportunity to see them do a free set at the Union Hotel Brunswick.

holy so many forum babies :hyper: congrats

headache and the tourist should consider betrothing their recent offspring and thus creating a suitcase dynasty to rule over interference. just saying.

I'm already afraid that Headache's child is going to follow in their father's footsteps and fight me at JT60 Melbourne.

Imagine it's 32 degrees out (0 degrees for you non freedom unit people). You have to go get gas. You roll up to the station and instead of getting out of the car you get to stay in the comfort of your vehicle. You let the warm air from your vehicle's air conditioning hit you in the face. You're comfortable and warm, insulated from the unforgiving coldness of the outdoors. You relax while the attendant fills your car up and when it's done you just drive away. You don't smell like gas, instead you smell like the lavender body wash you used in the morning. Life is good.

That's what living in Oregon is like. Not having to pump gas is one of the greatest things about this state that I'm proud to call home. The rest of the world needs to follow our example.

It’s nice that you expect servants paid a pittance to stand in subzero temperatures and fill your car up because you’re too precious too do it yourselves!

I've even heard some people voluntarily travel from one point to another without the aid of a motor vehicle. That can't be right.

What gets me about the Oregon thing is that it's apparently not even been legal to pump your own petrol and an attendant has to do it. What the fuck? If a petrol station wants to have attendants as a way of attracting customers and distinguishing themselves from rivals - such as in nbelcik's subzero scenario - then go for it. But the idea that they have to is nuts.

When I was a kid in New Zealand, usually an assistant pumped your petrol, but by the time I was eight or nine most servos had stopped doing it. But the two local Mobil stations kept doing it for years after all the others stopped.

I even recall stopping at a tiny rural servo about six or seven years ago where the dude came out and filled up the tank, but I think that was because he was bored and hadn't seen a car for hours. :lol:

When I was a kid, all the Mobil stations (NY) had an option of self serve or someone else pump it for you, and it was like twice as expensive if you didn’t pump it yourself. That makes sense to me, but the being illegal thing always sounded silly. TBH I thought NJ was the only state that did that, and I thought people had been making fun of them for that for years (or just because making fun of NJ is such an easy thing to do in general).

says the grown man who thought pickles and cucumbers were entirely different things a week ago.

"rolling blackouts coastal fever" is a stupid band name. "the rolling blackouts" is so vastly superior that i hope several publicists declined to represent the band because they refused to be called that.

They should have called Bono for band name advice.
Then they'd have been called "Rolling Blackouts (Of Coastal Fever)"

When I was a kid, all the Mobil stations (NY) had an option of self serve or someone else pump it for you, and it was like twice as expensive if you didn’t pump it yourself. That makes sense to me, but the being illegal thing always sounded silly. TBH I thought NJ was the only state that did that, and I thought people had been making fun of them for that for years (or just because making fun of NJ is such an easy thing to do in general).

I remember being in NJ about a decade ago driving back from VA Beach and stopping for gas, getting out to pump and the attendant explained that by law all the stations in the state were full serve. I was flabbergasted. It was like, what is this 1957?

It’s nice that you expect servants paid a pittance to stand in subzero temperatures and fill your car up because you’re too precious too do it yourselves!

The minimum wage in Oregon is one of the highest in the nation, it should be higher, but we're working on it.

Not to mention that many people would be unemployed if we didn't have this law.

We pump our own gas here in Iowa, as well as the other states I've lived in (all of which are in the middle of the country), cold weather be damned. I don't know if there are any places in this state where the attendants do it for you, but that's never been the case where I've lived.

On another note, congrats to the tourist and Headache and their families on the new additions :)!

Oregon and New Jersey are the only states that forbid consumers from pumping their own gas, I believe.

Been going through Crowded House's albums since I bought the beautiful reissues last year. The self-titled first cab off the rank. It's a little tough to evaluate it since nearly half the songs (Mean to Me, World Where You Live, Don't Dream it's Over, Something So Strong) are such HUGE hits, but it's damn good. It has such good energy and absolute slaps as a sort of funky art rock album, there's a fair bit of a Peter Gabriel feel to it imo.

Best song that I didn't already know (well, I've heard it live a few times, but never really known the studio version) is Hole in the River, what a song. Spacey verses rule, the chorus is so evocative, with a beautiful guitar line and rhythm section that comes in and carries Neil Finn along, and then there's a fucking wicked as hell, funky, dark piano and horn breakdown that fucking owns.

Cobbs, allow me to both improve and ruin Hole in the River for you. This is the original demo version, which had a Paul Hester rap (first appears around 0:55) called Still Emotional:

They later did Still Emotional live with Neil on vocals, like this performance where it is the intro for Don't Dream It's Over (and that's Eddie Rayner from Split Enz on keys):

Assume it's the same one that's track 2 on the second disc. Not quite as evocative, still good though. This fucking rap is insane :lol:

Thoughts on the album?

Assume it's the same one that's track 2 on the second disc. Not quite as evocative, still good though. This fucking rap is insane :lol:

Thoughts on the album?

Oh yeah, I forgot they'd actually put it on the second disc - I have my favourite cuts in a playlist, and as much as that demo is brilliant in its own wacky way, it didn't make the list. It's SO hilariously eighties, the band would've just been a novelty if they hadn't got that out of their system before recording the debut. Another example is the demo of That's What I Call Love. The band have almost never performed it live, so when we got them to do it in 2010, Neil just went into the "kissing" lyrics of the demo. As long as he gets the first lyric of a song he can usually get through the whole thing, but for obscure stuff he sometimes lapses into demo versions without realising it - we know that "Sacred Cow", for example, is actually two songs pieced together, and in 2010 he gave it a go and sang what was clearly part of one song that was cut when the two were combined.

Anyway, the self-titled is my second-favourite Crowdies album, not far behind Together Alone. Barely a bad moment. That opening four is something truly special - it baffles me that they don't play "Now We're Getting Somewhere" more often live, especially when it was maybe the highlight of the night at the third Opera House show. Hole in the River deserves every word of praise, especially the sprawling epic it has become live, and the three songs after it are all unfairly overlooked.

Weirdass intro. And why Eddie Rayner out here lookin like Friday Night Funnyman Elliot Rhodes from Frontline????

Hahahah that's the perfect comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom