Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This year I'm going to listen to more new music and participate here more.

That said, not being allowed to pump my own gas in Oregon is a pain in the ass when the station is crowded and there's only one guy trained to run the pumps. It's fucking ridiculous.

This year's Coachella lineup nails that coffin shut for me ever wanting to go. That Beyonce chick is edgy AF, and Eminem, well, that dude's got some shit to say.

Congratulations tourist!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i feel like i must be literally the only person who had a really good 2017.
I had a very good year professionally in 2017 but a poor one in most other aspects. Which according to capitalism means I had a very good year in 2017.
Oregon and New Jersey are the only states that forbid consumers from pumping their own gas, I believe.
It's fucking weird too, because in Jersey they're super proud of it. The pump attendants also don't know what they're doing. The last time I had to fill up in Jersey, the dude started pumping the gas before I turned my car off, which seems insanely dangerous to me.
Those on the east coast (the one that everyone knows), are you enjoying the "bomb cyclone" today?
I do not mind the snow, it's the fucking wind. The wind chill for the next few days is supposed to be hovering around 5 degrees during the day (-15 for my Metric friends) and -10 overnight (-23 C).

Those on the east coast (the one that everyone knows), are you enjoying the "bomb cyclone" today?

Not so much.
Apparently the tide level today here is higher than the Blizzard of 78. Boston harbor was at its highest level since 1921.
About half hour after high tide (roughly 1:00), started hearing commotion outside noticed a bunch of neighbors moving cars to high spots on lawns...marshes that surround my area crested and we got flood waters rushing in from 3 directions, my yard was under water, my crawl space (where my furnace is) flooded. Luckily sump pump worked. Cars in driveway seem to only have gotten water up to tires as the driveway has an incline (my next door neighbors' doesn't and had over a foot of water, a mere 5 feet from my driveway).
Water has begun receding, snow is picking up, but I can deal with that. Jut hoping power stays on.
Not the most fun I've had with my pants on.

It does make a lot of sense when you think about it. I mean, has anybody actually been to Australia? I didn't think so.

That's just because they'd rather not deal with friggin' Cobbler though.

It's a heavy burden but the rest of us carry it.

mrs. tourist gave birth this morning after 43 hours of labor. Thankfully it was only about 12 hours of active labor. Our daughter meeting him later in the day was fairly “d’awwwww!”-inducing.

mrs. tourist gave birth this morning after 43 hours of labor. Thankfully it was only about 12 hours of active labor. Our daughter meeting him later in the day was fairly “d’awwwww!”-inducing.

Congrats, tourist. Sounds amazing (other than the 43 hours).

2017 was a Rollercoaster for me.

I want to say it was a really good year, but I had a couple of fairly traumatic things happen, to the point that it kinda colors my overall impression of the year. Plus I worked just way way too much.

Side note: yay, tourist!

Congratulations!

2017 was a Rollercoaster for me.

I want to say it was a really good year, but I had a couple of fairly traumatic things happen, to the point that it kinda colors my overall impression of the year. Plus I worked just way way too much.

Side note: yay, tourist!

I'm with you here. I graduated from college, found what I love to do (teaching), saw 5 U2 shows, and met some awesome people who have turned into good friends.

I also had two unplanned surgeries (total time in the hospital this year was a month) that were very taxing on both my physical and mental health. It was tough because I thought I was done with surgery after the four I had in 2015. I was also diagnosed with depression and have been dealing with that. Add Trump into the mix and this year has been very tough.

Side note: congrats Tourist!

Congrats. Your wife deserves a long vacation after that labor.

I've said before, if men had to be the ones to give birth the human race would have died out eons ago.

I'm with you here. I graduated from college, found what I love to do (teaching), saw 5 U2 shows, and met some awesome people who have turned into good friends.

I also had two unplanned surgeries (total time in the hospital this year was a month) that were very taxing on both my physical and mental health. It was tough because I thought I was done with surgery after the four I had in 2015. I was also diagnosed with depression and have been dealing with that. Add Trump into the mix and this year has been very tough.

Side note: congrats Tourist!

Yeah, this year:
Events Attended: Probably like 20 concerts (including my 10th! UFC show), 3 UFC events, 1 David Lynch festival, and saw more movies in theaters than ever.

Celeb meetings: Met the actress who plays Laura Palmer, Jamie Foxx, and got a hug from my favorite UFC fighter, Michael Bisping.

First: Went to New York for the first time and Las Vegas as well (preferred the former to the latter by a long way). Finished a ten mile obstacle course/mud run. Also went to SLC for the first time to see friends from High School, and the three of us hadn't been together in years.

My mom also turned 50 and we were able to throw her a real surprise party, while also finally getting her and my brother out here for a visit. Travis and I were able to go home for a few days last month as well. I also did a lot of hiking at the beginning of the year and was able to go see a waterfall, thanks to all of the rain we had this year.

Unfortunately also this year:
I decided to follow a dream of mine and left my job for another opportunity. Almost immediately after leaving I started to really get into a bad state with my health. An eating issue that I was having towards the end of 2016 became a real problem in 2017 that I only kinda tamped down by the end of the year. I went from being able to do that ten mile course to barely being able to run three miles without wanting to die. I'm completely out of shape and I don't feel well on the regular now.

After five months I decided to go back to the job I'd had the previous two years, which was nice for the summer, but I took a second job with another sports organization as well, and ended up working six days a week from August until the end of the year. Almost immediately after coming back to my old job I had a coworker do something to me that made me suddenly a part of the #metoo crowd. It wasn't anything horribly bad, but enough that it left me emotionally fucked up for the next few weeks. Thankfully my employers sided with me and it was quickly handled.
The final nail in the coffin, though, that just completely ended me emotionally for the foreseeable future, and I haven't talked to anyone about this besides close family/friends, is that, while it was *incredibly* early into the time, Travis and I lost our first seemingly-successful pregnancy. It was early enough that I don't even know if I can actually call it a miscarriage, but I don't care. I've put off pregnancy for quite some time, partially out of fear of how I would handle a miscarriage, knowing how emotional I can get about nearly everything. It's been rough ever since. Christmas was hard. I just don't know what to do if it were to happen again and later into the term, at that. But I know we're going to keep trying, though I have been unable to since then from some complications. I'm terrified that there's something really wrong with me and I need to go to the doctor, but I'm too scared to go because when everything happened in October/November they kept treating me like I was crazy and was never actually pregnant. It's really hard to deal with the whole thing, so I've been keeping a lot of the stuff that's now a problem to myself. Ugh, anyways, that's too much info. Just needed to get some of it off my chest. I really hope this year is better.

The final nail in the coffin, though, that just completely ended me emotionally for the foreseeable future, and I haven't talked to anyone about this besides close family/friends, is that, while it was *incredibly* early into the time, Travis and I lost our first seemingly-successful pregnancy. It was early enough that I don't even know if I can actually call it a miscarriage, but I don't care. I've put off pregnancy for quite some time, partially out of fear of how I would handle a miscarriage, knowing how emotional I can get about nearly everything. It's been rough ever since. Christmas was hard. I just don't know what to do if it were to happen again and later into the term, at that. But I know we're going to keep trying, though I have been unable to since then from some complications. I'm terrified that there's something really wrong with me and I need to go to the doctor, but I'm too scared to go because when everything happened in October/November they kept treating me like I was crazy and was never actually pregnant. It's really hard to deal with the whole thing, so I've been keeping a lot of the stuff that's now a problem to myself. Ugh, anyways, that's too much info. Just needed to get some of it off my chest. I really hope this year is better.
First off, very sorry to hear this. My wife miscarried before we had our son, it was incredibly difficult, she was a wreck in the aftermath, but after it happened we found out just how common it was (a high percentage of our family and friends had dealt with it) and that made it a little easier to accept.
All of this after we had already met with a fertility y doctor and my wife had to have a fibroid removed that was in bad spot and basically blocking conception, and there were concerns due to my testicular cancer about 18 months prior.
Once she was cleared we went back to trying (which is never a bad thing from the male perspective) and were able to successfully conceive a few months later. Hopefully you guys can get back at it and be successful, but don't be afraid to meet with the right medical professionals to be sure everything is in order. Often if there's a problem it might be something easily rectified like my wife's fibroid. Best of luck, I hope it all works out.

First off, very sorry to hear this. My wife miscarried before we had our son, it was incredibly difficult, she was a wreck in the aftermath, but after it happened we found out just how common it was (a high percentage of our family and friends had dealt with it) and that made it a little easier to accept.
All of this after we had already met with a fertility y doctor and my wife had to have a fibroid removed that was in bad spot and basically blocking conception, and there were concerns due to my testicular cancer about 18 months prior.
Once she was cleared we went back to trying (which is never a bad thing from the male perspective) and were able to successfully conceive a few months later. Hopefully you guys can get back at it and be successful, but don't be afraid to meet with the right medical professionals to be sure everything is in order. Often if there's a problem it might be something easily rectified like my wife's fibroid. Best of luck, I hope it all works out.

Thank you, a ton, seriously. That made me feel a lot better.

wow, there's a lot going on here these days.

much love to everyone, whether you're going through good things, bad things, or nothing at all, whether you've said it here or not :hug:

Last edited:
I was really distracted when I wrote that post and said I went to my 10th UFC show. I meant to write U2. I've only been to 4 UFC events so far.

Also thank you all for the love.

Ashley I’m glad you’re feeling well enough to speak about your experiences (and I mean all of them), and it’s touching to know you consider this ragtag group of misfits part of some kind of alternate family worthy of being in the loop.

Best wishes for a less troublesome 2018.

Holy shit, 43 hours :crack:. Bless her. Congratulations :).

And big ol' :hug:s to you, Ashley and Travis, for all you guys have been through as well. I second the hopes that 2018 is a significantly better year for you guys.

Yeah, this year:

Events Attended: Probably like 20 concerts (including my 10th! UFC show), 3 UFC events, 1 David Lynch festival, and saw more movies in theaters than ever.

Celeb meetings: Met the actress who plays Laura Palmer, Jamie Foxx, and got a hug from my favorite UFC fighter, Michael Bisping.

First: Went to New York for the first time and Las Vegas as well (preferred the former to the latter by a long way). Finished a ten mile obstacle course/mud run. Also went to SLC for the first time to see friends from High School, and the three of us hadn't been together in years.

My mom also turned 50 and we were able to throw her a real surprise party, while also finally getting her and my brother out here for a visit. Travis and I were able to go home for a few days last month as well. I also did a lot of hiking at the beginning of the year and was able to go see a waterfall, thanks to all of the rain we had this year.

Unfortunately also this year:

I decided to follow a dream of mine and left my job for another opportunity. Almost immediately after leaving I started to really get into a bad state with my health. An eating issue that I was having towards the end of 2016 became a real problem in 2017 that I only kinda tamped down by the end of the year. I went from being able to do that ten mile course to barely being able to run three miles without wanting to die. I'm completely out of shape and I don't feel well on the regular now.

After five months I decided to go back to the job I'd had the previous two years, which was nice for the summer, but I took a second job with another sports organization as well, and ended up working six days a week from August until the end of the year. Almost immediately after coming back to my old job I had a coworker do something to me that made me suddenly a part of the #metoo crowd. It wasn't anything horribly bad, but enough that it left me emotionally fucked up for the next few weeks. Thankfully my employers sided with me and it was quickly handled.

I'm really sorry to hear about the rough stuff. Here's hoping that 2018 is better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom