Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really looking out for music from Don McLean's r/atheism account.

Last edited:
Impy text me the other day: "I can't even enjoy Fear Fun anymore."

Takes a special talent to make fans dislike even your good stuff. Not even Win Butler has managed to do that.

On Fear Fun and on I Love You Honeybear his irony-laden, self-reflexive, verbose, serious-artist(wink) shtick was mostly quite funny, and he was writing great music to boot. On Pure Comedy he completely disappeared up his own arse, embraced the persona head-on, but forgot to actually write good music. So I'm not super excited for this album, though I will listen to it, and who knows, maybe I'll be wrong. But the character is fucking insufferable now.

I was listening to The Life of Pablo just now, and MBDTF started playing immediately afterwards, first time I've listened to it in some time.

This album is fucking incredible. And I'm kind of astonished - I love TLOP, but the gap in quality between that album and MBDTF is mammoth.

This is an all-time album, and very possibly the best album of my generation. It's fucking flawless. I might have to look over my fav albums list sometime soon.

Aside from Jay Z's verse on Monster. This still sucks. Completely sucks the air out of the track, remarkable recovery from Nicki.

But then, this being MBDTF, five minutes later he's killing it on So Appalled.

Kanye wrought incredible service out of every single collaborator on this record. Rick Ross' verse on Devil in a New Dress, which is the best Kanye song bar none, is the best thing he's ever done by a mile.

No one is a better curator of talent than Kanye. Whether or not he writes all his own lyrics or produces his own beats these days, which is hotly debated, the man still gets the best out of his collaborators.

And yeah, MBDTF is probably still album of the decade. It said the bar early like Kid A did in the 2000s.

You really feel that album is even the best hip hop album of the decade with Kendrick's stuff out there?

Yep. To Pimp a Butterfly is right up there, for sure - I’d call both albums 10s - but it still falls well short of MBDTF imo. The latter is obviously more socially conscious, but listening to MBDTF, its track-by-track sheer power is unmatched. All 13 songs are fucking A-grade bangers.

Yeah. It's like a 9.7 vs a 9.6 and a 9.5. They're all in my top 5 for the decade.

Kendrick has the strongest overall discography of the decade though. Kanye's got a lot of great music post-MBDTF, but the run of Section.80/GKMC/TPAB/Untitled Unmastered/DAMN is absolutely incredible. No one is topping that anytime soon.

Last edited:
Aside from Jay Z's verse on Monster. This still sucks. Completely sucks the air out of the track, remarkable recovery from Nicki.

The ending of Blame Game alone is enough to bring this album down a full star.

Not hugely into Kanye but All of the Lights and Runaway are great.

Kanye is about to bless us with the Station to Station of rap.

7 flawless, sprawling jams. All killer, no filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom