Random Music Talk CXXII: 2018 It Is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a 5'1" tall woman who can't see shit in GA if I don't get there early, I say this firmly: if I found out an artist was enforcing a women to the front policy at their show, I would not attend their show.

tbh Tera Melos/LITE show was the only time I felt like I can go to the front row. like, normally I somehow dont feel that courageous

Feminism is about equality, not making one better than the other. Highlighting the fact that the show is more about women, and pointing out that you can't see any women from the stage, or making people more aware about the fact that a lot of women in GA can't see? Fine. See if people fix it themselves. But enforcing it? What does that prove?

Feminism is about equality, not making one better than the other. Highlighting the fact that the show is more about women, and pointing out that you can't see any women from the stage, or making people more aware about the fact that a lot of women in GA can't see? Fine. See if people fix it themselves. But enforcing it? What does that prove?

:up:

well said and i agree. i have been meaning to say something like this but couldn't think of a way that didn't make me sound like a man just complaining which was not at all how i wanted to come across. i understand the intention behind the idea but enforcing or demanding it feels to me like swinging the pendulum the other way and holding it there.

Pitbull to Address United Nations About Clean Water Efforts

We’re through the looking-glass here, people.

giphy.gif

Omg!!! I forgot to share something incredibly cool that I discovered last weekend.

I am three degrees of separation from U2.

Last weekend I went to my friend's house, and as I always do with this group of friends, I jokingly bring up U2 to piss people off. Anyway, my friend's mum is a huge fan, and she ran over and we got to chatting. I was telling her about how I flew to the States to see them last year, and she was telling me how she saw them in NINETEEN EIGHTY-ONE (she's British) in some small club. Oh my god, I was dying of jealousy. I asked if she thought at the time whether they'd hit it big and she said no, but said that they were good to watch.

Then, she started talking about her wedding. She got married sometime in the mid 80s, and, her then-husband was friends with Willie Williams.

She pulled out the photo album...

IMG_6196_zpsxxyqtbdw.jpg

That's her to the left obviously, her husband to the right, and then the bloke in the middle, wearing glasses and A FUCKING DRESSING GOWN, is Willie Williams.

And then, if you cast your eye to the woman second from the right, you'll notice she's wearing BONO'S FUCKING HAT. She was friends with Willie and it had come into her possession for a few days.

She's fallen out of touch with Willie since, for obvious reasons, but still, what a fucking cool story to be able to tell. I was losing my shit.

That's unreal. What a cool linkage.

New Preoccupations album out - keen to give it a spin this weekend. Didn't see it coming.

I've been enjoying this new Lucy Dacus album, Historian. I expect it would appeal to those of you who dig the likes of Angel Olsen and Waxahatchee.

Yeah I listened to some Angel Olsen immediately after hearing it for the first time. It's not My Woman level, but it's solid.

Just stumbled across Moses Sumney... this shit is gorgeous. There's notes here of Sampha, Thundercat, Radiohead, Justin Vernon... fucking lovely.

I'm not that big on his studio stuff, but I found myself at his stage during Laneway and thought I'd just watch a couple of songs - ended up staying right to the end. I loved the audible gasp when, after a few songs, he talked to the crowd in a deep speaking voice.

I'd really like to go and see Jackson Browne on Thursday night, but I'd only be going for The Load-Out / Stay. And for some reason, he doesn't play it at every show. In fact, he only seems to play it a few times a year! WTF!! He's just played it at back-to-back Adelaide shows... but I would be fucking fuming if I stumped up the money to see him and he didn't play it. Arghhhh.

Just stumbled across Moses Sumney... this shit is gorgeous. There's notes here of Sampha, Thundercat, Radiohead, Justin Vernon... fucking lovely.

He made it into my top of 2017 list. I love that album, so understated. Glad you came across him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom