Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true. Freddie Gibbs' album is great and Big Boi's will be awesome.

I'm sure Big Boi will deliver.

Gibbs' album is really good and hints at something greater it's but nowhere close to Damn. If it were all as good as 20 Karat Jesus maybe, but the extraordinary range and lyrical depth isn't there.

Your Old Droog's album is actually my second favorite rap album so far this year and hardly anyone is talking about it. Grabbed me from the very first track:

I'm sure Big Boi will deliver.

Gibbs' album is really good and hints at something greater it's but nowhere close to Damn. If it were all as good as 20 Karat Jesus maybe, but the extraordinary range and lyrical depth isn't there.

Honestly I don't think it's that far off. Certainly no one the grand artistic statement, and you can't even put it in the same ballpark cos Kendrick is just operating on a different plane. But it's a fucking great album. He's rapping with real fire at the moment and the beats are terrific.

Yeah Newbury Comics b+m stores are like maybe 10% music now, its as Orange Donnie likes to say, "Sad!"

They're basically hot topic Boston style instead of emo teenager now. The first time I went into the one in Northampton after it moved from Amherst, I probably came in here and wrote a long winded thing about how it made me sad. They're more a funko pop bobblehead store now than anything else, really.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I saw Future Islands on Monday night and they were excellent. There are some great songs on the earlier albums that lack the production value of the most recent two, but they really stand out in the live setting.

There was also a moment where I was walking up to the venue before the show and walked past the band as they were out on a smoke break. Sam Herring did a double take when he saw me because we were dressed almost identically.

Beach Fossils have always been just kind of nice, but this new album of theirs is something else. Awesome stuff.

They're basically hot topic Boston style instead of emo teenager now. The first time I went into the one in Northampton after it moved from Amherst, I probably came in here and wrote a long winded thing about how it made me sad. They're more a funko pop bobblehead store now than anything else, really.

I'm about 99.9% certain this happened and I read it.

Seeing Maya Rudolph's Princess tonight.

Female Prince cover band. Obv.
Let me know if you think it's worth it. I've been on the fence about seeing them for like a year now and they're playing here on prince's birthday and I was waiting for day of to decide.

If you want to go and see a fun and decent Prince cover band and dance a lot, go. It was a lot of fun.

On Prince's birthday? Definitely go. They exclusively played early stuff up through Purple Rain, so if you're dying to hear Maya Rudolph sing Cream, you might be disappointed.

I can't think of any other reason you'd be disappointed. It does what it says on the box: Maya Rudolph leading a Prince cover band because she simply loves it.

Last edited:
I hate their status of rock heroes of the 2000's. That's the impression I get at least due to all the fawning on my favorite alternative radio station. It has caused me to dislike them more than I should. But they are definitely generic

I just think it's funny when people give them as an example of real rock music. Those are probably the people that think hip-hop isn't real music.

When I was at a festival a few years ago, Foo Fighters were the headliner and all my friends went to see them. I went to Wilco instead. I'm sure that show was more rock 'n roll than Foo Fighters will ever be.

Good time to take this pic I took in Chicago this weekend:

IMG_5600.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom