Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chorus of the year, probs.

cloris-edit.jpg

oh wait you said chorus

This band Brutus is incredible. They sound like White Lung combined with Dillinger Escape Plan. Super heavy punk, but with some technical touches. Their singer is a powerhouse. Their debut just came out this month and I can't stop listening to it.

This band Brutus is incredible. They sound like White Lung combined with Dillinger Escape Plan. Super heavy punk, but with some technical touches. Their singer is a powerhouse. Their debut just came out this month and I can't stop listening to it.

I like this.

The new Carly Rae song :love:

I'm tentatively out on this one. Sounds like the closing song from a Disney Channel Original Movie.

EDIT: Listening to it a second time, I do really like the production in the verses, and I love the song from the level I enjoy a lot of similar music with big choruses. I don't really know how to explain my feelings about this right, so just forget it.

It's really good, but it sounds like what it is: a THIRD wave single from the same sessions. The verses feel like filler, but the chorus is a beast. Pretty remarkable that they had this many great choruses sitting in a vault somewhere. Most pop artists take their entire career to find hooks as good as Run Away With Me, Emotion or Making the Most of the Night.

Last edited:
I like the new Carly song. Finally heard the new Miley song and thought it was pretty bad. A coworker was raving about it, but we may have to argue about it tomorrow.

I'm tentatively out on this one. Sounds like the closing song from a Disney Channel Original Movie.
it actually is the closing song of a movie :shh:

i love the song. i mean yeah, the verses are filler as travis said, but that beat. i thought her earlier stuff was pretty :rolleyes: but after i heard emotion, i've been converted. still don't like her earlier stuff, but emotion and its follow-up ep were both amazing imo.

It's really good, but it sounds like what it is: a THIRD wave single from the same sessions. The verses feel like filler, but the chorus is a beast. Pretty remarkable that they had this many great choruses sitting in a vault somewhere. Most pop artists take their entire career to find hooks as good as Run Away With Me, Emotion or Making the Most of the Night.

Yeah, I'm with you. Those sessions have generated so much incredible material. Add Higher to that list.

Frankly, I can't understand why she doesn't get more mainstream recognition.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm with you. Those sessions have generated so much incredible material. Add Higher to that list.

Frankly, I can't understand why she doesn't get more mainstream recognition.

Pretty simple: She's trying to compete in the same space as Lorde, Haim, TSwift, Adele, Sia, Katy Perry, Ariana, et al and she's a) older than most of them (Sia obscures her face for a reason and Katy's career was already huge years ago) and b) she's not as good-looking.

Both brutal and completely unfair if you ask me... but that's my thoughts on it. She's without any shadow of a doubt in the top one or two of female pop artists out there.

Saw Sampha last night. It was SO refreshing to be able to go to a gig, stand up the back, relax, have room to move around, get there two minutes before it starts, go back to the bar mid-show... just so nice to not have to expend mountains of emotional energy, the U2 stuff took a lot out of me.

Show was a bit of a disappointment however. Just nothing seemed to really hit the way it should. Kora Sings was the highlight, with that being really the only song that the band of four (drummer, percussion pad man and synth man) really seemed to let loose. It was lacking in energy, stage presence, it wasn't loud enough, and it seemed a bit phoned-in and locked in to the performances. No room to move. Blood was great too but it was all just missing something.

And then the one song I was really there for, No One Knows Me Like the Piano, he completely changed the piano notes he plays, so whilst it was amazing to see him finally show off the full power of his voice, it was bittersweet because the piano that makes the single so great was changed.

A shame. A good show without being great. Super exciting artist, though.

Carly is way hotter than Lorde at least.

I don't feel bad for comparing their looks because I understand that they are creative, talented women with a great deal to offer the world beyond their appearance.

Pretty simple: She's trying to compete in the same space as Lorde, Haim, TSwift, Adele, Sia, Katy Perry, Ariana, et al and she's a) older than most of them (Sia obscures her face for a reason and Katy's career was already huge years ago) and b) she's not as good-looking.

Both brutal and completely unfair if you ask me... but that's my thoughts on it. She's without any shadow of a doubt in the top one or two of female pop artists out there.

I think it's a little more simple than even that; her first hit was considered a bit of a joke hit, she was considered more manufactured than those you listed.

Yeah, CRJ is well known, but as a one-hit wonder.

As somebody who has only heard that one hit, I certainly have no desire whatsoever to hear another note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom