Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posted something similar on Facebook. Ariana Grande and Eagles of Death Metal - two artists you'd never thought you'd put in any group together. Now they're in a very lonely, very terrible club.

Hope she has the support she will need.

She's so young. I really hope she seeks help if she needs it.

When I saw EODM a few weeks ago, Jesse Hughes said that show was the first time he'd felt "normal" in a while.

We had all been wanded thoroughly before going in, and I sure felt ok about it in a fucked up way.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I have a sneak peek of the new alt-j to review it, and on first listen I am totally digging it.

I listen to The La's once every few years and always wonder why I don't do so more often. It still sounds incredibly fresh 27 years later.

Just posted something similar on Facebook. Ariana Grande and Eagles of Death Metal - two artists you'd never thought you'd put in any group together. Now they're in a very lonely, very terrible club.

Hope she has the support she will need.

Maybe Ariana can reach out to Jesse for some solace similarly to how Eddie Vedder reached out to Pete Townshend after Roskilde.
Gonna be tough for her to hit the stage again, talking to someone who went through it might help. She's only what, 23? Don't know how she'll be able to deal with it.

Only listen to ATDI, the other thing you're talking about is a horrendous Davey Havock & No Doubt side project. I couldn't make it through more than 3 songs. Maybe 2 and a half.

OH. no. I do not want to know that exists, let alone what it sounds like.

I'm seeing Ariana later this year. I love her and feel terribly for her.

EODM... I've been very coloured by the stupid comments Jesse Hughes has made since.

Morrissey also put out a really weird statement. Never thought he'd turn down the alt-right path. Slammed Sadiq Khan for not calling it radical Islamic terrorism, like that has anything to do with it or would stop fuckwits from doing it.

I was going to say "grumpy wanker", but "dick" will do. He seems rather simple to me, honestly.

Moz is complex in a way that we don't know what the hell he's thinking. but again, that's not really complex, he's just babbling all the time.

I'm seeing Ariana later this year. I love her and feel terribly for her.

EODM... I've been very coloured by the stupid comments Jesse Hughes has made since.

Morrissey also put out a really weird statement. Never thought he'd turn down the alt-right path. Slammed Sadiq Khan for not calling it radical Islamic terrorism, like that has anything to do with it or would stop fuckwits from doing it.

Actually, Google "Morrissey racist" and you'll find that he's made comments like this for decades.

I'm listening to their first two albums this morning, has been a while since I had listened to them. Debut album is much better than follow-up, but yeah, I've listened to the new one 3 times now and I really, really like it. Bought a ticket to their Seattle show in October.

for fans of desert rock, and well crafted pop, I would put my highly questionable taste stamp of approval on the following:

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience (not exactly a reveal)
The Refreshments - The Bottle and Fresh Horses (and their first, Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy)
Dead Hot Workshop - Karma Covered Apple and 1001
Sand Rubies/Sidewinders - (self titled SR)/Witchdoctor

The jangle/chime thing is less echoy and more Gibson les Paul through a Matchless head kind of Byrds-y, or in the Refreshments case, just hot as fuck. The Refreshments in particular are the overlooked band IMO...yes, they wrote the King of the Hill theme (Yahoos and Triangles later named), but they are a pop band with maybe darker lyrics in the vein of Camper or even the Replacements (not that much angst).

The singer of the Refreshments split off with his drummer and formed the independent Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, which, for 4.5 albums, was absolute perfection, especially live. They are roadhorses, playing 150+ shows a year, and have gotten the tag "The Bruce Springsteen of the Southwest" (I think RS called them that).

Anyways...some sounds from my home state of Arizona. That Mill Ave scene that produced the Gin Blossoms/Refreshments/Dead Hot was something else.

Oh, to keep it local, Jimmy Eat World "Bleed American", but that is no revelation to anyone really...I think everyone has heard it...

Never heard of Dead Hot Workshop and Sand Rubies, will check those out.

Gin Blossoms album is solid pop. And The Refreshments!! I love "Banditos." And the KotH theme, of course.

Never heard of Dead Hot Workshop and Sand Rubies, will check those out.

Gin Blossoms album is solid pop. And The Refreshments!! I love "Banditos." And the KotH theme, of course.

Dig deeper into the Refreshments (they only have two albums, so no need to dig too deeply), and that leads to Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers...which is more of an Americana thing at first, a nod to Steve Earle (they cover Earle's "I Feel Alright" on the companion live CD "Reel to Real"). They are amazing live.

Sand Rubies/Sidewinders had a cup of coffee under each name ("Goodbye" by the Sand Rubies, "Witchdoctor" by Sidewinders). It is the same band.

Dead Hot was kind of the poet laurete (s? Plural?) of the Tempe/Mill Avenue scene that produced all these bands. Start with the song "Hangin' Out With Ray" and dive from there.

The new Linkin Park album is exactly what U2 has been trying to do for years, only they're too talented and indecisive to let themselves follow through on it completely. What a piece of garbage.

people complained SOI but please, it's better than most of these records made by old bands who wants to be relevant again.

Weird Morrissey statement, slags off others for not saying what they really think while carefully avoiding saying what he really thinks...

We think we have it bad being U2 fans sometimes but spare a thought for people who have to weigh enjoying Morrissey's music against him being an utter bell end.

I like to imagine that Morrissey died in 1989 and was replaced by a look-a-like. It's a lot easier to be a fan that way.

I do love the La's album. Timeless Melody is beautiful. It's such a pleasant little journey. I feel the real quality is mainly in the first half of the album though.

I'm so happy that 50 Song Memoir is finally on spotify. Now I get to experience gems like:

We called ourselves The Black Widows
We weren't the last nor the first
But we were almost certainly
By far the worst
We made the Cramps sound orchestral
That's an achievement, I guess
As for rehearsal
We made the Shaggs sound like Yes

I spent the blizzard of '78
On a commune in Northern Vermont
With all the Roger Zelazny anybody could want
It was hell

The Magnetic Fields' best album of the century, easily.

I'm so happy that 50 Song Memoir is finally on spotify. Now I get to experience gems like:

We called ourselves The Black Widows
We weren't the last nor the first
But we were almost certainly
By far the worst
We made the Cramps sound orchestral
That's an achievement, I guess
As for rehearsal
We made the Shaggs sound like Yes

I spent the blizzard of '78
On a commune in Northern Vermont
With all the Roger Zelazny anybody could want
It was hell

The Magnetic Fields' best album of the century, easily.

:heart: i am so glad I got to go to the shows at mass moca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom