Random Music Talk CXX - Cobbler Returns to Amoeba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that charged up by the Lumineers. They're competent, I'll give you that.

Ohhhh I have so many thoughts on the Lumineers. Well actually, not really. So I knew that 'hey' song they played. I felt the same way about it that I did about their entire set, pretty inoffensive.

The last song they played was pretty great, got the crowd going. Still wasn't a very good song, but it did its job, yknow.

The drummer looked like Woody Harrelson.

Their whole set though just completely ran together. Everything sounded exactly the same. All that performance did was make me think 'okay, not the worst band, but I have no desire to ever listen to them again'.

I think they're quite lame.

Best summed up by Tom Haverford.

I like them, and I think the middle of their set sounded too similar. They're pretty great live though.

More people should listen to a lot of things, mainly I should listen to that atdi and other thing you mentioned the other day.

Not that charged up by the Lumineers. They're competent, I'll give you that.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

At one point I turned to my friend and asked if they'd been playing the same song over and over for 45 mins.

I like that Ho Hey song. I probably would have just shouted random HO! and HEY! throughout the entire set.

More people should listen to a lot of things, mainly I should listen to that atdi and other thing you mentioned the other day.

Only listen to ATDI, the other thing you're talking about is a horrendous Davey Havock & No Doubt side project. I couldn't make it through more than 3 songs. Maybe 2 and a half.

Jesus Christ, this news about a bomb at an Ariana Grande concert is horrible.
I wanted to listen to "People Have the Power" because I was making a U2 pre-show playlist and I turned it on while I was reading about this, and I just feel really defeated and depressed right now. When is this shit going to stop? Is it?

I wanted to listen to "People Have the Power" because I was making a U2 pre-show playlist and I turned it on while I was reading about this, and I just feel really defeated and depressed right now. When is this shit going to stop? Is it?

It won't unfortunately, there's always going to be terrorists out there. We just have to rise above them and, to quote a certain Irish man whose band I'm currently listening to, choose love over fear.

Jealous cowards try to control
Rise above! We're gonna rise above!
They distort what we say
Try and stop what we do
When they can't do it themselves

We are tired of your abuse
Try to stop us; it's no use!

it's all we can do

The news is currently reporting it was a suicide bomber.

Ugh, seriously? The hell?

I know how you feel :hug:.

My heart goes out to everyone in Manchester. Just...ergh. So shitty.

Horrible. Devastating. Extremely upsetting and scary.

And just trying to think what would Bono do... he would preach hope and love and I'm going to listen to their music.

Lazarus just dropped me off and now I'm at Planet Hollywood in the airport with a Samuel Adams.

Really wish I'd been able to spend more time with you all, and less with Laz. As it is... he says hello. He can't respond to this for two days as The Interference Hammer of Justice has rained down a blow upon him. I haven't seen the thread in question, but Laz says it's because of a comment he made about redhill, a comment that, driving to the shuttle bus, I completely and utterly agree with and actually think is quite kind.

I didn't think his comment was out of hand either....OHHHHH well.

Hopefully we can come out and see you all in Aus one day! But since I'm sure you'll be here again soon enough, yes, let's hang out more!

At risk of getting myself banned here....... that dude is unhinged. I get the whole fairness thing but if Laz got banned for that comment, when far worse shit gets said in here, or whenever GAF is in one of his moods.... that's really disappointing.

That poster has a long history of starting threads based on utterly ridiculous premises. He deserves to be called out. That's ya first amendment rights at work.

Really wish I'd been able to spend more time with you all, and less with Laz. As it is... he says hello. He can't respond to this for two days as The Interference Hammer of Justice has rained down a blow upon him. I haven't seen the thread in question, but Laz says it's because of a comment he made about redhill, a comment that, driving to the shuttle bus, I completely and utterly agree with and actually think is quite kind.

I just looked through his most recent posts and nothing leapt out at me as out-of-line. But then again I got a short ban last year for calling a fascist a fascist, so there you go. :shrug:

Anyway, serious post time.

These concert attacks really get me. I suppose a lot of you here are probably in the same boat. We're the sort of people who see concerts regularly. For me, live music is one of those places where I feel fantastic. On my recent travels through North America and Europe, there were some weeks where I was by myself and felt a bit awkward and out of place in these foreign cities, nobody to share the experience with, no idea where to find some good food, sometimes no knowledge of the local language, etc. Then the moment I walked into a gig, I felt right at home. I had some of the most rich experiences I've ever had, felt some of the most powerful emotions.

And at home, live music is this sort of release. No matter how tiresome a week has been, no matter how tedious work is, no matter how depressing it can be to teach fucking genocide studies, once a band hits the stage - god I feel better. It's the energy. It's feeling part of something. It's that communal experience. It's that here you are to celebrate just how damn good sounds can be, and just how much they can make you feel. And the people around you get it, or even if they don't seem to, fuck it, go hard and have a good time anyway because you know the band get it. Whether it's some shared sing-along with an indie rock band, or a crushing black metal set that says you're not alone in experiencing this bleak world, I walk out feeling more alive than when I walked in.

And instead 22 people - I bloody hope no more are added to that count - didn't walk out tonight feeling more alive. They aren't alive at all. It's not fucking fair or right.

Anyway, serious post time.

These concert attacks really get me. I suppose a lot of you here are probably in the same boat. We're the sort of people who see concerts regularly. For me, live music is one of those places where I feel fantastic. On my recent travels through North America and Europe, there were some weeks where I was by myself and felt a bit awkward and out of place in these foreign cities, nobody to share the experience with, no idea where to find some good food, sometimes no knowledge of the local language, etc. Then the moment I walked into a gig, I felt right at home. I had some of the most rich experiences I've ever had, felt some of the most powerful emotions.

And at home, live music is this sort of release. No matter how tiresome a week has been, no matter how tedious work is, no matter how depressing it can be to teach fucking genocide studies, once a band hits the stage - god I feel better. It's the energy. It's feeling part of something. It's that communal experience. It's that here you are to celebrate just how damn good sounds can be, and just how much they can make you feel. And the people around you get it, or even if they don't seem to, fuck it, go hard and have a good time anyway because you know the band get it. Whether it's some shared sing-along with an indie rock band, or a crushing black metal set that says you're not alone in experiencing this bleak world, I walk out feeling more alive than when I walked in.

And instead 22 people - I bloody hope no more are added to that count - didn't walk out tonight feeling more alive. They aren't alive at all. It's not fucking fair or right.

Right there with you.
Even harder to fathom as I've started taking my son to shows. I know there are plenty of parents who took their children to that show in Manchester, and can't comprehend dealing with that situation.

Agreed with everything Ax said. Additionally, while we all obviously feel awful for the victims and their families, I just want to say that I also feel awful for Ariana. Of course nothing is her fault, but nonetheless she'll have to carry this. That these people, these kids, came out to see her and died for it. And on top of that, she's going to be associated with this now, at least for a little while. In the news over the last 20 hours, her name as been next to the words "terrorist attack" and "suicide bomber" more times than anyone cares to count and if you google her name, the first thing at the top is reports about the attack.

I can't imagine what it's like to be her right now.

But at least she's alive, which is more than can be said for those 22 poor souls.

Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom