Random Music Talk CXVIII: Grabbing America By The...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fingers crossed for a Daft Punk tour. I don't remember why I passed on the chance to see them(?!) at Global Gathering back in 2006 but the Coachella recording from that year is still amazing! I still love what they did with the Human After All tunes on that tour, considering how lazy the album itself was.

With that in mind, I still think Random Access is mostly crap, but I'd still love to see how it would translate live.

It is a mess. I'll never listen to it in full again and both Homework and Discovery are miles better, but you've got five or so baller tunes: Giorgio By Moroder, Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky, Doin it Right and Contact all rule.

It is a mess. I'll never listen to it in full again and both Homework and Discovery are miles better, but you've got five or so baller tunes: Giorgio By Moroder, Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky, Doin it Right and Contact all rule.

Somehow Homework never really clicked with me (though Da Funk is of course a classic). I love Discovery (and its remix companion, Daft Club) and Random Access Memories too. It's probably the organic sound of RAM that does it for me. Quite impressive how they made that album without a drum machine/computer.

The production/feel of RAM is like Steely Dan...if Steely Dan had no sense of humor, bite or wit. It's a whole lot of chilly yacht rock pastiche of varying quality. Half the songs don't need to be on there, it's way too much of an OK thing. Generally agreed with Cobbler on what the good songs are.

I side more with LM on this one. I like the sound of it to Martijn but you could honestly cut about half an hour's worth of music from RAM and not lose anything. It gets extremely tedious after a while.

I also find Give Life Back to Music to be a bit condescending. They could have done their "we're back!" track a lot better.

Do you all remember that dude who would post the album reviews that he lifted from Amazon? That was some weird shit.

One of my favorite Interference moments. And proudest, cause I found him out and then...Hewson? I think, was the one who dug deeper and found out that ALL of his album reviews were lifted.

I also find Give Life Back to Music to be a bit condescending.

How so?

I'm glad to see more people admit that it's not actually that good now a few years has passed. Get Lucky was rightly massive but that just meant a looong-ass album of mostly filler was hyped to death. If half those tunes were released by other artists, no-one would give a shit. Then again, I love Motherboard and I wonder would I love it so much if it was by someone else and someone sent me that one track as a random introduction??

Weirdly though I have to admit I think Lose Yourself To Dance, Doin' It Right and Contact are some of the worst tracks on there. :lol: especially Doin' It Right. Some average singing over a drum machine and vocoder does not a good song make.

One of my favorite Interference moments. And proudest, cause I found him out and then...Hewson? I think, was the one who dug deeper and found out that ALL of his album reviews were lifted.

Wasn't me, I think it may have been Laz.

Mount Temple was the guy's screen name, right?
Good times.

Do you all remember that dude who would post the album reviews that he lifted from Amazon? That was some weird shit.

Oh man, thanks for reminding me of that. Bloody hilarious.

I feel like we haven't had a classic Interference moment for a while.

The implication that music had been in this shit state of affairs until Daft Punk returned as our saviours and made everything great again. Music didn't need saving, it was fine as it was.

Haha I figured it was more a case of them referring to the music being played by human beings rather than machines but I see your point.

Weirdly though I have to admit I think Lose Yourself To Dance, Doin' It Right and Contact are some of the worst tracks on there. :lol: especially Doin' It Right. Some average singing over a drum machine and vocoder does not a good song make.

IIRC, there's not a single drum machine on that album, though it has been a while since I read all the credits.
BTW, I do consider Lose Yourself To Dance and Contact among the highlights of the album.

Haha I figured it was more a case of them referring to the music being played by human beings rather than machines but I see your point.

Which is a) a stupid argument I hate and b) dumb considering they made their name and image with "machines"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Oh man, thanks for reminding me of that. Bloody hilarious.

I feel like we haven't had a classic Interference moment for a while.

What made me think of it was a post I saw in another part of the forum that seemed way too complicated and structured for the poster to have written it.

One of my favorite songs of all time. The whole thing sounds like it could fall apart at any moment, which is a quality I like in rock music, especially in songs as ragged and desperate as that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom