Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor Swift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been listening to 90s alt-rock radio quite a bit recently, and something that strikes me about these songs in retrospect is how many of them are great for 90 seconds or so, but then plod on for 6 or 7 minutes. See below:

Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor...

I've been listening to 90s alt-rock radio quite a bit recently, and something that strikes me about these songs in retrospect is how many of them are great for 90 seconds or so, but then plod on for 6 or 7 minutes. See below:

Yeah, they always talk about the 80s being the decade of excess but when it came to music, there was a lot of bloat in the 90s. Overly long songs and overly long albums.

I think Stipe talked about Adventures almost decade after and said it was too long, but how the CD format when new allowed for a lot of over bloated albums in the 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Compared to the Pumpkins' everything-but-the-kitchen sink Mellon Collie, New Adventures in Hi Fi is positively svelte. Long for R.E.M, I suppose, although closely rivalled by the surprisingly good but incredibly drawn-out UP.

Compared to the Pumpkins' everything-but-the-kitchen sink Mellon Collie, New Adventures in Hi Fi is positively svelte. Long for R.E.M, I suppose, although closely rivalled by the surprisingly good but incredibly drawn-out UP.

True, but as bloated as it was, it was distributed and marketed as a double album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hmmm...what four would you get rid of?

I suppose I could do without Departure, Zither and Bittersweet Me, but I love all of the rest.

I'd go with something like this, tweaking the sequencing just a little bit.

1. How the West Was Won and Where It Got Us
2. New Test Leper
3. Undertow
4. Leave
5. E-Bow the Letter
6. Be Mine
7. Bittersweet Me
8. Binky the Doormat
9. So Fast, So Numb
10. Electrolite

Incredibly, that only cut it down to 50 minutes. There are some long songs on here.

Last edited:

That song is perfect just the way it is. And thank God it's long since every other second of their career sucks.

I'd go with something like this, tweaking the sequencing just a little bit.

1. How the West Was Won and Where It Got Us
2. New Test Leper
3. Undertow
4. Leave
5. E-Bow the Letter
6. Be Mine
7. Bittersweet Me
8. Binky the Doormat
9. So Fast, So Numb
10. Electrolite

Incredibly, that only cut it down to 50 minutes. There are some long songs on here.

Y U NO LlKE LOW DESERT??

Also, Departure at least has some energy. You can't get rid of Wake Up Bomb AND that one.

If I was going to make a custom playlist, which I won't because Hi-Fi's is far less problematic than Automatic for the People's, I'd include Revolution, from the same sessions.

Random Music Talk CXVII: Leaked Emails Show Hillary Likes Both Kanye & Taylor...

Low Desert is ok. I don't mind it, but I'd rather just get to Electrolite.

Both Departure and Wake Up Bomb sound like lesser Monster tracks to me. Just there to liven up an otherwise heavy and contemplative album. I could see that being a benefit for most people. But, personally, I prefer focus over variety.

Last edited:
I remember thinking a long time ago that it was strange for them to do a list for every decade of the past half century but that one.

The 70s was an albums decade; it'll be interesting to see what stray singles and deep cuts they highlight.

Last edited:
re New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Ditch Bittersweet Me, which is just a mediocre rehash of the already mediocre REM tune Bang and Blame.

Stairway to Fucking Heaven will be #1. If it's not, none of them had to listen to FM radio in the 70s.

Ha, I was going to say the same thing.

Every Memorial Day 500 countdown on radio from the mid 70's through the early 80's had Stairway to Heaven as #1 and Freebird as #2. (Once in a great while a station would reverse the order to be contrarian).
3-5 was usually some combination of Jumpin' Jack Flash, Won't Get Fooled Again, Hey Jude, Imagine and Bohemian Rhapsody.

Haven't listened to it yet, but about fucking time they release something.

Holy fuck. Hardwired...to Self-Destruct is gonna be two discs.

Disc One

Hardwired
Atlas, Rise!
Now That We’re Dead
Moth Into Flame
Am I Savage?
Halo On Fire

Disc Two

Confusion
Dream No More
ManUNkind
Here Comes Revenge
Murder One
Spit Out The Bone

I know that I for one am looking forward to the new Metallica classic ManUNkind.

Last edited:
Speaking of the 70s, Pitchfork is doing 200 best of the 70s on Monday.

Better be some high-placing Dan songs, that's for sure.

I could see Bowie pulling off a #1 placement considering this year, just not sure what song it would be.

Stairway to Heaven is doubtful, IMO. Way too obvious.

re New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Ditch Bittersweet Me, which is just a mediocre rehash of the already mediocre REM tune Bang and Blame.

Nailed it, I think we've both shared this sentiment in the past.

Back
Top Bottom