Random Music Talk CXVI: The world doesn't actually revolve around Mack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am drunk and going through all my music to make a mix for my baby.

Mikal was never happier than when the Deerhunter guitarist under the guise of 'Lotus Plaza' released Spooky Action at a Distance, and I fucking loved that record. Sometimes music doesn't need to be anything more than a real breezy 45 minutes.

Mikal was never happier than when the Deerhunter guitarist under the guise of 'Lotus Plaza' released Spooky Action at a Distance, and I fucking loved that record. Sometimes music doesn't need to be anything more than a real breezy 45 minutes.

You know it was the legendary Shouter who was the first advocate for Lotus Plaza, way back when the debut dropped in 2009.

Best albums of the year so far:

Tim Hecker, Love Streams
David Bowie, Blackstar
Parquet Courts, Human Performance
Kevin Morby, Singing Saw
Kendrick Lamar, untitled unmastered

Man, I'm so behind on this year thanks to a mixture of busyness and anxiety. Blackstar and Life of Pablo easily the best things I've heard so far this year.

You know it was the legendary Shouter who was the first advocate for Lotus Plaza, way back when the debut dropped in 2009.

Really? THere you go. I hope he is okay wherever he is. There were some things he said in his last few posts that make me worry.

Speaking of Lotus Plaza, I didn't know this existed until a few minutes ago (cassette only release, apparently), but it is damn hypnotic.

It's still my favorite album of this decade by a mile!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My top 10 right now:

1. David Bowie - ★
2. Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered.
3. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
4. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
5. Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution
6. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide To Earth
7. PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
8. Chairlift - Moth
9. Denzel Curry - Imperial
10. Parquet Courts - Human Performance

Not sure of my Top 10 yet, except Bowie's in first. Other albums making the list:

Savages
Sarah Neufeld
Lucius
PJ Harvey

Mogwai
Explosions in the Sky
DIIV
Shearwater
The Thermals
Probably Rob Crow, haven't listened to it enough

M83

1. Memoryhouse - Soft Hate
2. Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas - Mariner
3. Horror My Friend - Stay In, Do Nothing
4. Fjørt - Kontakt
5. Rob Crow's Gloomy Place - You're Doomed. Be Nice.
6. Borknagar - Winter Thrice
7. School of Seven Bells - SVIIB

...then probably the Hammock and Bossk albums, which I really enjoyed on first listen but need to play a bit more. Big Ups would probably round out the top ten, or maybe Yndi Halda - and The Joy Formidable's album is growing on me. DIIV would be in contention if it weren't so fucking overlong.

Counting non-album releases, Turnover's Humblest Pleasures / Change Irreversible single is fucking incredible (especially the b-side) and sits with the top two above.

Not a fan of Tidal, so I'm just going to wait until it shows up on iTunes. Not sure when that will be.

Last edited:
It's almost cute how desperate some of these artists are to prop up a service with little to no future.

Bey is married to the founder of Tidal, so no shock here.

Ashley and I both got new Tidal trials when Prince passed, so I can actually listen to this.

I have low expectations. Formation was not good.

at this point, strangely enough, youTube is enough for me. at least for the source of streaming music.

Same here. I don't 'belong' to any services and don't plan to. There are certainly gaping holes in Youtube's selection (generally copyright related - see the recently departed Prince for exhibit A), but it's, well, bigger than the music collection on my shelf by far, so there's that.

And if Youtube don't really have it (see the new PJ Harvey album for exhibit A), then it's mp3 hunting time. Fuck it.

Last edited:
I highly recommend Google Music. I've tried Spotify and Apple Music. Google has the best interface and is so easy to upload your whole library. The family option is great too because my girlfriend can use it as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Same here. I don't 'belong' to any services and don't plan to. There are certainly gaping holes in Youtube's selection (generally copyright related - see the recently departed Prince for exhibit A), but it's, well, bigger than the music collection on my shelf by far, so there's that.

And if Youtube don't really have it (see the new PJ Harvey album for exhibit A), then it's mp3 hunting time. Fuck it.

I love YouTube as they also have the live footages and bunch of random bootlegs; it's pretty fantastic in that aspects as I prefer watching footages from concerts or artists performing things live rather than listen to recordings.

Back
Top Bottom