Random Music Talk CXIV: No more rock star deaths for a while please (not even Stapp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I <3 Harry Nilsson. After spending a week indoors I left the house today. I like, sometimes, doing things alone. Wandering around aimlessly downtown alone. Trying not to spend any money I came to the realization If if you're trying to save money that in a way going to antique stores is like going to museums but for free. Museums of junk. But still. I overhear a Nilsson song and come home and listen to more Nilsson and it's the perfect soundtrack for an odd Saturday in the day in the life.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

but most people who reads about techniques in guitar magazines care more about speed, difficulty, and complexity not necessarily musicality and "nice sounding" phrases. or creativity, even

This perfectly encapsulates why I couldn't give a flying fuck about those magazines or those sort of people. Unlike most here I've never even played guitar so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I just like what I like.

David Gilmour is a good example of a great guitarist who can do both though. Take his beautiful, slower playing on a song like Fearless, or Cymbaline. Gorgeous and perfect. But he can also shred, like on Sheep, which is probably my favourite solo of his.

How is this even a question? Have you watched television before? Start with Season 1 Episode 1 and fucking watch the show like it was meant to be watched. Is that a difficult concept? A good "starting point"? Ummm how about when the show started? Jesus fucking Christ. Ridiculous. What's a good point to dive in?!? Hahahahahhahahaha.

This gets less and less funny every time man. Nice.

surprisingly Gilmour is pretty respected among guitar community. not that they can be as great as he can be, but......

David Gilmour is a good example of a great guitarist who can do both though. Take his beautiful, slower playing on a song like Fearless, or Cymbaline. Gorgeous and perfect. But he can also shred, like on Sheep, which is probably my favourite solo of his.

I love Gilmour as a guitarist, but I'm starting to realize that he is best as an accent player. He's damn tasteful on songs like Shine On, and though he can play some excellent solos, I appreciate him most in atmospheric mode. That might be why I liked The Endless River more than most.

It's weird to think that at one time in the 90s Jeff Buckley existed and "graced" us with his talents.

I've decided to finally try to get into Sonic Youth. Better late than never. What are the albums would you all recommend starting out with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've decided to finally try to get into Sonic Youth. Better late than never. What are the albums would you all recommend starting out with ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daydream Nation. that's only Sonic Youth record I happen to love.

Daydream Nation (their widely accepted peak)
Goo (some necessary singles on this one)
Murray Street (a little warmer and more accessible, but still expansive and fresh)

What the hell happened to Death Cab For Cutie after Plans? I actually liked Plans.

I'm telling you, we need a part 2. Re-tell that story from the side of the NOMACS. Let them tell their tale!

look at all of this: we're saying it was disgusting garbage but these people are praising those prog album. I don't know what to believe.

There are people out there praising the "story" as involved and complex. I'm beginning to doubt these people have ever read anything more complicated than the back of a cereal box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom