Random Music Talk CXIV: No more rock star deaths for a while please (not even Stapp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I experience the phase where I really like dance music and synth pop time to time but there are always counter-reaction to this and I immediately experience phase where I only like hard-hitting music (mostly hard rock? I'm not sure of categorization). do you guys experience this?

I do after listening to the 2015/16 version of dance music, that's for sure. Though not 'hard rock'. Just regular rock and roll.

Random Music Talk CXIV: No more rock star deaths for a while please (not even...

I've listened to the Wicked soundtrack and Sheer Terror in the same day. Good luck topping that.

Actually I think I put the Glee version (for time sake and cos that long ass intro didnt work) of Defying Gravity on the same DI list as a Blood for Blood song.

Last edited:
I've listened to the Wicked soundtrack and Sheer Terror in the same day. Good luck topping that.

that's some heavy comparison right there. i didnt know why but after listening to couple of tracks off of To pimp a butterfly, I started to listen to RATM and then it lead to binge-listening to Pantera.

The combination of Apple Music and iTunes Match works great for me. I can fill in anything missing from the streaming library with iTunes Match and it's pretty seamless.

My only complaint is that you can't sync Apple Music tracks with an iPod, but then I can just plug my phone into an aux hole. I also just bought a Bluetooth receiver for the stereo in my office, so I can just stream stuff from my phone.

Agreed. Apple Music/iTunes Match does it right. Best UI as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I listened to a band called Basement last night. It's not that they are that good, but I was just glad to find a new album that isn't synthpop.

I wanna try Google Play and downloaded the app. How do you find/get a free trial? I've looked and looked, but can't find it anywhere. Not at all interested in paying for 2 music subscriptions at once.

All I did was click on the Subscribe button, a box popped up and said that since I have a Samsung phone I get six months free plus 1/3rd off the regular price once I do have to start paying. Pretty sure the standard is one month free in any case but you may have a hidden promo in there if you go to the subscription page.

I listened to a band called Basement last night. It's not that they are that good, but I was just glad to find a new album that isn't synthpop.

As in the emo/alt rock Basement? Huh, I didn't know they had a new album out. I saw them four years ago on what was meant to be their breakup tour - then a few months later they put out a new album and toured again. :lol:

As in the emo/alt rock Basement? Huh, I didn't know they had a new album out. I saw them four years ago on what was meant to be their breakup tour - then a few months later they put out a new album and toured again. :lol:

Think it's the same one. Enjoyable listen no definitely not groundbreaking or anything. If you have any other recommendations of music that actually has guitar playing in it, I would love to hear some.

Is there a band out there right now making 70s style classic/hard rock? I was listening to AC/DC earlier, and I was really wanting to listen to more, but I realized it's just going to be relistening to stuff I'm already familiar with. I'd love to hear a modern take.

Beyond The Darkness, of course.

He was a lot of fun.

Please let me know how that goes.

It was great. My anxiety didn't allow me to enjoy it as much as I would have liked but it was a great show. Shamir has an incredible voice. He is genderqueer, from as much as I've read. I'm not very knowledgable in this sort of thing but if you were blind you could not be convinced that he wasn't a female singer. There were a bunch of 40yo blokes there dancing, and we joked (or maybe not a joke) that they were there doing a bit of fetishising. Anyway. Has a black drummer, white girl on keys and backup vox, Asian dude on bass and keys and another backup singer with two mics - one normal, one which warps her voice totally, to do the "he's a hot mess damn" and other lowkey vocal bits from the album. Opened with Vegas, played On the Regular third, after which Shamir said the bass player suggested he NOT play, cos he didn't think "it is as popular as I do". :ohmy: wtf! It went off. Highlight was probably Demon, particularly when they lifted the energy with it with bigger drums, and vocals and louder music in the second half. No low points really, although Darker with an acoustic guitar was a bit flat for a very energetic crowd. As Ax will tell you Melbourne crowds can be a bit lethargic but they were phenomenal last night. The cheers after Youth (which fucking ruled) were insane. Loud, continuous. Shamir looked like he was getting a bit emotional about it, considering it was his first tour here.

Just wish he'd done KC, it was a bonus track on Ratchet and no one seems to know it, but I think it's stunning.

He was a lot of fun.

It was great. My anxiety didn't allow me to enjoy it as much as I would have liked but it was a great show. Shamir has an incredible voice. He is genderqueer, from as much as I've read. I'm not very knowledgable in this sort of thing but if you were blind you could not be convinced that he wasn't a female singer. There were a bunch of 40yo blokes there dancing, and we joked (or maybe not a joke) that they were there doing a bit of fetishising. Anyway. Has a black drummer, white girl on keys and backup vox, Asian dude on bass and keys and another backup singer with two mics - one normal, one which warps her voice totally, to do the "he's a hot mess damn" and other lowkey vocal bits from the album. Opened with Vegas, played On the Regular third, after which Shamir said the bass player suggested he NOT play, cos he didn't think "it is as popular as I do". :ohmy: wtf! It went off. Highlight was probably Demon, particularly when they lifted the energy with it with bigger drums, and vocals and louder music in the second half. No low points really, although Darker with an acoustic guitar was a bit flat for a very energetic crowd. As Ax will tell you Melbourne crowds can be a bit lethargic but they were phenomenal last night. The cheers after Youth (which fucking ruled) were insane. Loud, continuous. Shamir looked like he was getting a bit emotional about it, considering it was his first tour here.

Just wish he'd done KC, it was a bonus track on Ratchet and no one seems to know it, but I think it's stunning.

Awesome, thanks. I'll try and catch him at some point. I really like him, and his attitude towards life in general. The music didn't qiute end up being what I was expecting, based on the first singles way back when, but fun nonetheless.

Awesome, thanks. I'll try and catch him at some point. I really like him, and his attitude towards life in general. The music didn't qiute end up being what I was expecting, based on the first singles way back when, but fun nonetheless.

Yeah, I'm totally on board. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Here's another entry in the continuing journey of albums I need to own based on the album cover:

Frank-Sinatra-Album-No-One-Cares-frank-sinatra-6382047-500-500.jpg

I don't think I need to explain why this is a great album cover. It's funny, depressing and aesthetically attractive. It possesses a level of blunt honesty I would respect from many older artists at a latter stage of their career. U2 - NO ONE CARES. Can you imagine? It's perfect.

The album itself is also really good. Sinatra was averaging one unadulterated sad bastard album per year at this point and he had the formula nailed. 1) Depressing but quality song choices, 2) syrupy (but not too syrupy) orchestrations, 3) Frank completely owning every song in his path. This album has the somewhat unique distinction of having at least half a dozen songs about it raining on lonely people, one of which is a fucking knockout version of Stormy Weather.

If anyone finds this in a record store somewhere, I'll repay you.

Last edited:
Random weather talk, guys. It was in the 50/60s range like...yesterday. But because this is New England, it's snowing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom