Random Music Talk CX: Obscured By Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrying over from the last thread, 60 degrees is infinitely more pleasant than 90 degrees. One I can dress for, the other I'd rather just wait out.

A tip to my neighbors: Blow Up Fireworks Day is July 4th, not the entire week leading up to it. You don't need to practice and fill up my evenings with your noise pollution. While I realize that things have changed in America over the past week, the mechanism for lighting a firecracker remains the same this July 4th as it always has and always will. You haven't forgotten how to do it. Thank you.

Last edited:
I come from an area where the following could be heard the entire month of June (and well, most of the time)

YEEHAW

LOOK AT THE COLORS

AWW YEAH DAT BLOWED UP REAL NlCE

I've never liked it.

Last edited:
In my old apartment I faced out to the beach along the lake, and anytime there was a holiday between May and October there were fireworks and bonfires constantly for about a week before and after. People in this town fucking love colourful explosions.

I'm still functioning, I just hate being hot. And this isn't like Florida where everything is air conditioned. :grumpy:

I'm fucking loving these wonderful 10-15 degree maximums in Melbourne right now. Last night was the perfect night to do a pub crawl for mulled wine. I'm surprised I'm not hungover today.

Mulled wine. Mulled cider. :drool:

Carrying over from the last thread, 60 degrees is infinitely more pleasant than 90 degrees. One I can dress for, the other I'd rather just wait out.

A tip to my neighbors: Blow Up Fireworks Day is July 4th, not the entire week leading up to it. You don't need to practice and fill up by evenings with your noise pollution. While I realize that things have changed in America over the past week, the mechanism for lighting a firecracker remains the same this July 4th as it always has and always will. You haven't forgotten how to do it. Thank you.

You think that sucks, they started here last week and usually keep blowing up the ones they don't use in the two prior weeks the week after the 4th. :|

I'm hoping the town doesn't do fireworks this year. The dog loses her mind, and the parade in the morning is annoying enough. There are a couple banners up in town with an address to a gofundme page urging people to save the fireworks. And because I was curious, I went to their page the other day. And I was pleased to see they'd raised 1600 of the 15,000 they were trying to raise (which was apparently a scales back version of the 18,000 dollars they apparently spent last year).

So, one cool feature of Apple Music: Anything that an artist shares through Connect can be added to your library and downloaded DRM free. Just downloaded the new Beach House single that way.

Here's the cover art Apple Music Connect has for the Sparks single:

sparks_zpsuc0hqnrp.jpg

First: fuck fireworks in any and all of their forms.

Second: Laz, regarding More, most of it is vocal to my recollection - some of it great (Cirrus Minor is one of my top Floyd songs) and some of it atrocious (A Spanish Piece).

I'm surprised at the hostility to fireworks. Guy Fawkes Night is one of my fondest childhood memories and I was gutted when I moved to Australia and found out it's no longer observed here. I haven't experienced a Guy Fawkes Night since I was nine.

Two things. First of all, I am pretty excited today. I recently matched with a really quite attractive girl on Tinder. I looked at her bio, and she still plays Pokemon. We started chatting, at first about Pokemon, then about music. She hadn't nothing to say about U2 being my favourite gig ever (probably a good thing, U2 fans are generally suspect) but said hers was Radiohead. At that point I suggested we take the conversation to a bar as it was going to be very hard for me to talk about Radiohead over text. So we're meeting up :hyper:

My Tinder profile pic for those playing at home
10947249_10152717701626843_6951701730721043071_n_zpshyr5lw2j.jpg

And second of all, Iggy Pop's Lust for Life is one of my favourite albums. It's very underrated. It's seriously like having another late 70s Bowie album. Turn Blue is the only dud track for mine, and the two popular favourites, the title track and The Passenger, would probably both be in the bottom three. Some Weird Sin (incredible intro/post-chorus/outro riff), Tonight (lovely heartfelt tune), Fall in Love With Me (bouyant, full-of-swagger tune about spotting a girl at the bar) are the absolute tits. Sixteen is dirty as fuck, Success is one of the great "fucking yeah! I am awesome!" songs ever. Really great album, and probably about time I heard another Iggy album, at the very least The Idiot.

I'm surprised at the hostility to fireworks. Guy Fawkes Night is one of my fondest childhood memories and I was gutted when I moved to Australia and found out it's no longer observed here. I haven't experienced a Guy Fawkes Night since I was nine.

Ignore these grumps, fireworks are the best thing.

I really don't think Lust for Life is underrated. It's a hugely acclaimed album with two big hitz.

And I agree that it's a very good record.

Two things. First of all, I am pretty excited today. I recently matched with a really quite attractive girl on Tinder. I looked at her bio, and she still plays Pokemon. We started chatting, at first about Pokemon, then about music. She hadn't nothing to say about U2 being my favourite gig ever (probably a good thing, U2 fans are generally suspect) but said hers was Radiohead. At that point I suggested we take the conversation to a bar as it was going to be very hard for me to talk about Radiohead over text. So we're meeting up :hyper:

My Tinder profile pic for those playing at home
10947249_10152717701626843_6951701730721043071_n_zpshyr5lw2j.jpg

That's a lot sweeter than any Tinder story I could tell :lol:

And second of all, Iggy Pop's Lust for Life is one of my favourite albums. It's very underrated. It's seriously like having another late 70s Bowie album. Turn Blue is the only dud track for mine, and the two popular favourites, the title track and The Passenger, would probably both be in the bottom three. Some Weird Sin (incredible intro/post-chorus/outro riff), Tonight (lovely heartfelt tune), Fall in Love With Me (bouyant, full-of-swagger tune about spotting a girl at the bar) are the absolute tits. Sixteen is dirty as fuck, Success is one of the great "fucking yeah! I am awesome!" songs ever. Really great album, and probably about time I heard another Iggy album, at the very least The Idiot.

Did I ever tell you the story of when I almost knocked Iggy Pop off of the Paradise stage?

I think I'm going to unlike Best Vines on Facebook as it's the one common like I have with basically 80% of the people on Tinder. And Vines suck for the most part.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Did I ever tell you the story of when I almost knocked Iggy Pop off of the Paradise stage?

No, I actually think you've never told this one. I'm going to assume the bizarre dimensions and just generally oblong narrow shape of the room had something to do with this.

please go on....
Goes back to the old days of 1990...

the late great WBCN used to (actually still does) host a local battle of the bands called the Rock n Roll Rumble...some former winners include The Neighborhoods and Til Tuesday, some other entrants include The Lemonheads, Morphine, Powerman 5000....

Anyway they would have preliminary rounds in some of the local clubs and finals in a bigger venue, for a while the Orpheum, then from late 80's through mid 90's the finals were at The Paradise. They would usually get a nationally known act as a "guest band" for the finals, some acts like The Alarm, Joan Jett, Peter Wolf, Soul Asylum. In 1990 the guest band was NRBQ, but Iggy Pop was enlisted as the host.
At the time a rather young me was hanging around with a couple of friends a few years older and going to shows with them which included Iggy whenever he came to Boston as well as multiple shows with The Butthole Surfers, The Dead Milkmen, the Ramones and such...these 2 guys kind of indoctrinated my young self into that scene.

So when we heard Iggy was going to be hosting we got tix assuming he'd play as well. He only played 2 songs between acts solo on guitar in a rather drunken state (the drunken state is paramount to my tale).
So we were camped out on the left side of the Paradise stage (which is maybe 12" to 18" high which puts me almost eye to eye with Iggy) and Iggy comes strolling out stage left to introduce one of the bands. As he approaches us I yell out "IGGY!!!" rather loudly with my hand up, he takes notice and puts out his hand for a hi-5. Now Iggy maybe weighs 100lbs soaking wet. So I give him a rather enthusiastic hi-5, and as he has had a few Heinekens, it knocks him off kilter, and he stumbles and just misses falling off the edge of the stage.

A few minutes later when the local band is playing we turn around and there is Iggy in the crowd about 5 feet behind us 2 fisting Heinekens. Having himself a grand old time.

We were disappointed he didn't play any kind of real set, and NRBQ frankly sucked, we left during their set, but a fun night was had by all, especially James Osterberg, all 5'1" of him.

Last edited:
The Paradise is a shit venue with that layout, I don't care how much history it has.

I think The Rat may been closed before you're time in Boston, that place made The Paradise look like, well, paradise. Many of the best rock clubs have always been dives that if not for the act playing you'd never bother going in to. The "charm" of that stage set up at the Paradise is you can't be particularly far away from the stage no matter what, unlike some of the clubs like Avalon (now converted in to House of Blues) that had the stage at one end of a fairly long room.

I arrived in Boston in 1994 so I was there for the last couple years the Rat was in business. Friend of mine worked there briefly near the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom