Random Music Talk CX: Obscured By Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We survived Stampede. It was so much fun! A drunk guy even spilled half of his fourth or fifth Bud down my back during the rodeo. He was very apologectic. I didn't tell him to fuck off, but I thought about it. It seems like a good Stampede story.

One of the perks of living in the vicinity of Wisconsin: the "Eaux Claires" music festival, which I just found out existed. The National, Sufjan, Bon Iver, and Spoon among many other noteworthies. I'll take this over Lollapalooza any day.

A quick story. I have lived in my current share house for about two-and-a-half-years now. For longer than that time, the shower has leaked through the light in the kitchen. The owner's idea of fixing that problem is putting silicon in the shower, which has never worked, and just turns mouldy. There is actually now a mould patch near the light in the kitchen that has a diameter of about 10-15cm. One day I broke the dishwasher door, because I came downstairs and slipped in a puddle of water that had leaked through the light and came down on the door, cutting my hand on a knife. He hasn't fixed the shower, hasn't fixed the dishwasher, despite us telling him when he's come over in recent times. The only times he's come over is to replace the fucking filters in the rangehood (literally a sheet of fucking paper). It's his favourite thing in the world. Don't worry about WATER LEAKING THROUGH A LIGHT or a broken dishwasher, replace the paper in the thing above the stove. Won't commit to fixing the shower or the dishwasher. About a week ago, I get a call from the real estate agent telling us he wants to sell and we're about to get a 60-day fuck-off notice. Six hours later he calls me back and says don't worry, he's changed his mind. The other day I see the owner milling around out the front of the house looking at the paint and shit, then he sees me, mumbles something incoherent (he's Italian) and then leaves in a hurry. No talk, no chat, no communication on what he's doing. I just got a message from my housemate who's at home and he's round there now, unannounced, doing some sort of construction. Just now I got an email from the agent, and we've got 60 days to leave. I'm really fucking pissed off. He can do whatever he wants, of course, but no fucking communication whatsoever that he was planning on selling. None. I'm annoyed because I've settled in here really nicely, I've got an awesome situation going on with housemates, I've finally sorted out all the bills and rent and bond and shit. Now we're going to have go our separate ways. I'm sure there'll be resistance when I claim the cat and fridge as mine. I can't handle this shit. I'm not good at this real-life stuff. I live in the perfect location and moving is going to make angry and anxious and depressed, particularly if I end up in a shit house with shit people in a shit area. Fuck fuck fucking hell.

He's not allowed to just turn up without notice. You can take action against that. Being forced to leave is pretty shit - I went through that three years ago when my landlord decided to sell. Fortunately I ended up in an even better location, but it was a very frustrating and stressful process. However, I was able to stay in my place until it sold; it was only once the sale went through and the buyer was confirmed as an owner-occupier that they gave notice to vacate. I'm surprised that's not happening in your case, especially as property sales can take some time (where I lived took over half a year); I guess your landlord must want to renovate to boost the value first? And how come you and your current flatmates can't look for somewhere new together?

In any case, make sure you know your rights - the Tenants Union of Victoria's website is helpful: https://www.tuv.org.au/

Two months is a nice amount of notice, though.

It's the minimum required by law here. If you are paying month-to-month rather than being on a fixed-term lease (or if said lease ends in less than sixty days, which is what happened to me when my place in 2012 finally sold), they have to give you sixty days.

We survived Stampede. It was so much fun! A drunk guy even spilled half of his fourth or fifth Bud down my back during the rodeo. He was very apologectic. I didn't tell him to fuck off, but I thought about it. It seems like a good Stampede story.

Of course its a better story if you did tell him to fuck off, then threw him in front of a raging bull.

Mofo needs to get his musket loaded and ready to go. Beach House, Destroyer, Chelsea Wolfe and Mac DeMarco's albums all leaked on the same day. Fucking hell, the internet is ruthless.

Mofo needs to get his musket loaded and ready to go. Beach House, Destroyer, Chelsea Wolfe and Mac DeMarco's albums all leaked on the same day. Fucking hell, the internet is ruthless.

Extreme circumstance call for extreme measures.

Axle-Block.jpg

So I just learned about a week ago that there's actually no one in that band called J Geils.

You can hit me with the slowpoke Pokemon meme now.

So I just learned about a week ago that there's actually no one in that band called J Geils.

You can hit me with the slowpoke Pokemon meme now.

Well the band's guitarist and founder was John (J.) Geils. (Who Wolf used to always call Jerome)
He just isn't playing with the current incarnation, he last played with them in 2012.

At last, after 5 years, we finally have the spiritual sequel to Insane Clown Posse's Miracles, and it wasn't even released by ICP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MitZ-C0tgQ

Truly, this is one of the most excruciating experiences one can have listening to or watching anything. The music, lyrics and images are so bereft of intelligence and skill that no shred of quality can reach its surface. It's preachy while saying absolutely nothing. This is the worst music video and song made in 2015.

If nothing else, skip ahead to 4:50 and appreciate the Red Hill Mining Town music video's influence on future generations. I laughed until I cried.

Oh, Canada.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/people-in-toronto-created-a-memorial-to-a-dead-raccoon-after

Funniest thing I've read this week. I love that someone wrote "Hang in there!" inside the card.

If only this had happened a couple days earlier, Bono could have dedicated Stuck in a Moment to the little guy.

Jive pointed this out to me on facebook. The combination of the framed photo and candlelight vigil make this a classic.

I also like that a Canadian politician got in on the fun and it wasn't Rob Ford.

Well the band's guitarist and founder was John (J.) Geils. (Who Wolf used to always call Jerome)
He just isn't playing with the current incarnation, he last played with them in 2012.

Ok. I'd been told there never was a guy in the band named anything Geils, and that it was pretty much the same as Lynard Skynard (who I never thought was a real person, band member, gym teacher, or anyone).

Oh, Canada.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/people-in-toronto-created-a-memorial-to-a-dead-raccoon-after

Funniest thing I've read this week. I love that someone wrote "Hang in there!" inside the card.

If only this had happened a couple days earlier, Bono could have dedicated Stuck in a Moment to the little guy.

I walked right past this guy yesterday. His name was Conrad. Someone was putting a half-smoked cigarette between his fingers as I passed by on my way to my buddy's place (the smoke was apparently promptly taken by a homeless guy).

Goodnight, sweet prince. :sad:

How is the Beach House album?

Lovely like always. If you're a Beach House fan, there's a lot to love. One caveat: if you heard Sparks and were blown away like I was, you might be a bit disappointed at first. Still, there isn't a bad song on it.

Yes. I would say the album is more textural than the past two releases. The closer feels like Julee Cruise in a choral new age sort of way. It's heavenly. It's a "simpler" album because it moves a bit slower and there aren't as many chord changes, but I'm not sure if back to basics is quite the phrase they were looking for.

I walked right past this guy yesterday. His name was Conrad. Someone was putting a half-smoked cigarette between his fingers as I passed by on my way to my buddy's place (the smoke was apparently promptly taken by a homeless guy).

Goodnight, sweet prince. :sad:

You saw this in person??

Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom