Random Music Talk CX: Obscured By Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also seen them at one of the Reflections shows in Sydney.

One of the greatest concerts I've ever seen, and Cure fans are much more entertaining than I expected. Smith even laughed at me for doing a moronic "boys don't cry" gesture in the first row (something akin to wiping away false tears)... I was pretty drunk.

I like that Go-Betweens track. Where should a layman start with them?

When it comes to other stuff, I'm interested in historical sites, places to eat and anywhere that has a weird or nerdy vibe. I appreciate any suggestions you may have!
Historical stuff, the obvious thing is the Freedom Trail if you want to do some walking. Literally a red line painted on the ground that you follow that takes you past many of the historical landmarks starting by the Boston Common and ending in Charlestown at Bunker Hill. You see places like the Old North Church, a few old cemeteries, some other historical buildings and the Constitution (though I think the Constitution may be out for repairs and not in dock this summer).

Weird/nerdy vibe sounds like a trip to Harvard Square might be worth your while. Bunch of different style shops/bookstores, all walks of life for people watching, if you like burgers try Mr & Mrs. Bartley's Hamburgers on Mass Ave in Harvard Sq., if you like Tex Mex, try The Border Cafe on Church Street (kind of a shit hole decorum wise but good food).

Other popular tourist things include the duck boat tours which are the amphibious vehicles which take you around the city then go into the Charles River. Museums and the Aquarium if you're into that, as well as whale watching trips (they depart from the Aquarium).

Pleanty of restaurant options. Can't swing a dead cat in the North End without hitting a small Italian Restaurant. Chinatown of course has various levels of hole in the wall Chinese places.

Seaport district has been recently revitalized and some restaurants there including a Legal Seafoods (also one in Park Sq), The No Name, The Daily Catch and a bunch of others...most of these in this area a bit pricey.

Fanueil Hall has places to eat and overpriced places to shop, as well as a big food court type building with dozens of options.

And of course a favorite for New Yorkers is Fenway Park for a game or they do tours if the Sox are out of town. :wink:

I'm applying for a job for the first time in about two years and I'm realizing now that I've completely forgotten how to write a cover letter.

I really only know where Kenmore Sq, Central Sq in Cambridge, and Alston are. So clearly I have nothing to add. Travel agent Hewson even covered the fucking duck boats. :lol:

I'm applying for a job for the first time in about two years and I'm realizing now that I've completely forgotten how to write a cover letter.

I never actually knew how to do that. I've never actually had to write a résumé. This may become problematic at some point.

The general gist of it is that you need to talk about yourself and why you'd be good at what they want you to do, and for someone as arrogant as I am I'm much shittier than you'd think at talking about myself.

I am very bad at writing cover letters. Like, appallingly bad.

I like that Go-Betweens track. Where should a layman start with them?

I'm not too familiar with them. That song's off Before Hollywood, and was their last release as a three piece, if you like that sort of sparse, tense sound they have. I'm personally a big sucker for it! It's kind of like The Smiths musically, if Andy Rourke played more lead parts, and Morrissey wasn't so melodramatic.

The other album I know is 16 Lovers Lane, which is a four piece band, so much more conventional. I think what they lose in quirkiness and originality, they gain in songwriting prowess on that album.

Here's a track off it, probably their best known song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDmasbARtE

I think I spend way too much time describing what I was working before on a cover letter than why I am so good at the job.

If anyone considers her- or himself a great cover letter writer, any advice is helpful.

I'm not good because talking about my positive qualities is extremely difficult for me. I could talk about my downfalls for fucking hours but get me to name things I'm good at and I'm horrible.

Axver, I'm curious on your thoughts regarding SW's new album. I'm pretty sure we're on the same page when it comes to Grace for Drowning and Raven (a few decent songs in a proggy mess). But I felt Hand. Cannot. Erase. had a lot more variety and was closer to Insurgentes than those other two.

Yeah I agree. It's a big improvement on the last two albums - he seems to have remembered how to actually write songs and not just wank away in odd time signatures.

Boris: so bad live I've never listed to their music as a result.

Huh, last time I saw them live they were fucking amazing, and I'm not even a big fan.

The general gist of it is that you need to talk about yourself and why you'd be good at what they want you to do, and for someone as arrogant as I am I'm much shittier than you'd think at talking about myself.

I think I spend way too much time describing what I was working before on a cover letter than why I am so good at the job.

If anyone considers her- or himself a great cover letter writer, any advice is helpful.

I'm not necessarily good at writing them, but I have read hundreds over the years when hiring. The problem with anything I say on the topic is that I'm not speaking from an HR perspective, but from a very subjective view only.

For example, I know some people advise cover letter writers to make sure theirs stands out, and, for me that's a fine line to tread….meaning, if I see a cover letter where the person tried too hard to stand out but does not actually put much thought into why they'd be good at the job, or, almost importantly, why the job/company would be a good fit for them, then I move along quickly.

I guess for me, I just want to see if the person put thought into it, if they did some modicum of research into the company/department/specific job, do they flash any intelligence or wit without being too inorganic, do they come off as a person I'd get along for hours on end [this is easier to ascertain in an interview, obviously, and even then it's hard to ascertain :) ] and do they seem like they have some passion. How the fuck you inject passion into a cover letter is something I'd be hard pressed to explain but I know it when I see it.

I really have no idea if that's any help at all, just my 2 cents. I would have no idea what to say about what font to use, etc. There are some very general pieces of advice you can certainly put to use, I just don't remember them. :)

That helps in the sense that it confirms that I probably go about it in the right way. By that I mean that I don't use a boilerplate cover letter and make a few tweaks to it for a specific job. Rather, I compose each one from scratch.

I've been on a number of hiring committees, and the thing that amazes me about so many applicants is they don't tell you how they fit the job description. Being specific about relevant skills and experience is the best thing you can do IMO: the more concise, the better. Don't bother with philosophies, statement of purpose etc because no one gives a shit about those when reading 100 applications.

I hate writing cover letters. Hate it.

The job I have always wanted, (literally for nearly as long as I can remember I've wanted to work for this particular company in one of their sort of on the job learning programs) when I wrote that cover letter, tried to explain why I wanted it, how much I fit the skills they asked for, and the fact that I had been following along with their hiring policies and whatnot for years... It was the most sincere cover letter I'd ever written and when I read it back, it was pathetic. Came off as cloying and fake. Because of course it's my "dream job" and of course I "want to work there". I just feel like whoever read it took one look at it and was like, "sure." before moving on to someone who just fit the job description.

But that's because I'm pessimistic and super negative, I'm sure.

Unless you were referred by a relevant contact (be sure to mention this if applicable), any info besides your qualifications should be meted out carefully. If you can manage to put some personality in there, or some sign that you are knowledgeable about the company, great (this is why you should write a new letter from scratch for jobs you desperately want), but the heart of your cover letter should always be what you bring to the position.

Source: BA in professional writing; much of my coursework involved crap like this.

Last edited:
I am so flipping annoyed at airline prices right now. I've never had to white-knuckle it before, waiting for prices to come down. It's less than a month away, and flying to Milwaukee is going to cost me at least $600? $700 if I want to do something other than a red-eye?

Fuck that.

I know it's not helping that my dates are not very flexible, so I am flying there on a Saturday, but COME ON. Flying into Chicago is not much better, and renting a car from O'Hare would cost a lot more than one in Milwaukee.

SO ANNOYED.

Historical stuff, the obvious thing is the Freedom Trail if you want to do some walking. Literally a red line painted on the ground that you follow that takes you past many of the historical landmarks starting by the Boston Common and ending in Charlestown at Bunker Hill. You see places like the Old North Church, a few old cemeteries, some other historical buildings and the Constitution (though I think the Constitution may be out for repairs and not in dock this summer).

Weird/nerdy vibe sounds like a trip to Harvard Square might be worth your while. Bunch of different style shops/bookstores, all walks of life for people watching, if you like burgers try Mr & Mrs. Bartley's Hamburgers on Mass Ave in Harvard Sq., if you like Tex Mex, try The Border Cafe on Church Street (kind of a shit hole decorum wise but good food).

Other popular tourist things include the duck boat tours which are the amphibious vehicles which take you around the city then go into the Charles River. Museums and the Aquarium if you're into that, as well as whale watching trips (they depart from the Aquarium).

Pleanty of restaurant options. Can't swing a dead cat in the North End without hitting a small Italian Restaurant. Chinatown of course has various levels of hole in the wall Chinese places.

Seaport district has been recently revitalized and some restaurants there including a Legal Seafoods (also one in Park Sq), The No Name, The Daily Catch and a bunch of others...most of these in this area a bit pricey.

Fanueil Hall has places to eat and overpriced places to shop, as well as a big food court type building with dozens of options.

And of course a favorite for New Yorkers is Fenway Park for a game or they do tours if the Sox are out of town. :wink:

Wow! That is a fantastic list of suggestions. I was completely unfamiliar with most of these. I'll definitely check out a few of them, particularly Freedom Trail, Harvard Square, North End and the aquarium. Thanks for the great advice!

The recent discussion of cover letters is probably the lowest point in the history of Random Music Talk.

NSW usually shoots down Peef posts with a "nobody gives a fuck," but that one he indulged for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom