Random Music Talk CX: Obscured By Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of interest to Axver: was at a friend's yesterday and he was playing Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree fame. This thread is the only reason I've ever heard of them.

I just hope for your sake it was some of his older stuff!

So I'm taking a vacation up to Boston towards the end of this month. Any recommendations for music venues or sites I should check out?

Music venues would probably just depend on who's playing somewhere while you're here. Don't think there's any venue that's a must see just because of the venue itself. (Note our recent conversation about the Paradise a few pages back in this thread for instance)

As for other stuff to do/see, what are you interested in? Historical sites? Touristy stuff? Places to eat?

Yeah, I was thinking it would be cool to visit Paradise if there was a good band, but the only act playing during my vacation is Neon Trees...so I'll pass on that. I may see Interpol at the House of Blues though.

When it comes to other stuff, I'm interested in historical sites, places to eat and anywhere that has a weird or nerdy vibe. I appreciate any suggestions you may have!

I just hope for your sake it was some of his older stuff!

Axver, I'm curious on your thoughts regarding SW's new album. I'm pretty sure we're on the same page when it comes to Grace for Drowning and Raven (a few decent songs in a proggy mess). But I felt Hand. Cannot. Erase. had a lot more variety and was closer to Insurgentes than those other two.

You'll really, really like Pink when you get around to hearing it. Wild, fun rock album. And obviously the stuff from Rainbow worked great as a soundtrack for Confessions.

Turn down for what?

The city of Las Vegas really wants people to consider this question.

something something yank their sword out.

... while being a total dump. (Although one of the few places on the Strip with $5 blackjack tables in the evening.)

My partner's 12-year-old nephew says his favorite band is Steely Dan. I said let me put you in contact with Laz and LemonMelon.

Which description can't you see in the app? The one that says "watch: festival security carry Damon Albarn of stage as he refuses to stop five hour set" or something different? Because that's the description I'm seeing in the app.

Paris and Show are fantastic live records.

The Cure deserves more acclaim as a live band in general.

Tremendous live band. Both times I've seen them, they've played for 3+ hours, didn't let up throughout their set.

They've also spoiled me for other bands, though. They use a lot of backing tracks and click tracks like other major bands, but having only seen them twice, I've seen them play 79 songs, some really rare songs (they played How Beautiful You Are... for the first time in 20 years at one concert, and the other was one of the Reflections shows) and only two repeats (A Forest and Boys Don't Cry), and even those were both pretty different (because these shows were of two different lineups). They're a good example of a band who's been successful, but still puts an absurd amount of effort into their live show, which shows through how good their performances are.

I've been getting stuck into The Go-Betweens as of late. They have this really mysterious, bass driven sound, and a lot of their songs have these weird little structures. This song, for instance, sounds really simple, until you try to play along and can't get your head around the time signature changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkrEiD9s0pU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom