Random Music Talk CX: Obscured By Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Thermals posted this on Facebook. I laughed.

11709537_1045787922107074_1962824090275130484_n.jpg

11692663_1045787932107073_8596867098853601224_n.jpg

11667260_1045787945440405_4016969764046067251_n.jpg

11665515_1045787965440403_8163388999310941265_n.jpg

Hahaha, this is quite good.

Most country is terrible, because it exists within a certain form, both musically and lyrically. I'm sure you've all heard the joke about how every country singer sings fifty songs about their girlfriend leaving them and their dog dying in the back of their pickup truck.

That shit's terrible. But when things exist outside of that sphere, and they bring in some new musical sensibilities, or some different lyrical themes, it can get good.

every country singer sings fifty songs about their girlfriend leaving them and their dog dying in the back of their pickup truck.

Sounds like every song ever written by M Kozelek

I haven't! I've had very little time for new music in the past few weeks, honestly, and I don't want to be in a bad mood when I hear it.

EDIT: I'm actually going to put it on now. Thoughts in an hour or so.

Awesome. Super excited to hear your thoughts.

Polished mainstream country is nails on a chalkboard for me. I find it worse than top 40 mainstream pop because it changes so little over the years/decades. A lot of it still sounds like Shania Twain did 15 years ago, only more faceless and generic than she ever was. The genre is, well, inbred.

But like you said, those that work outside of the confines of the Nashville pop country machine can be really good. Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Lucinda Williams, The Jayhawks, John Prine, Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, 16 Horsepower, Guy Clark, Uncle Tupelo, the list goes on. And there are still good albums coming out of the genre regularly; Sturgill Simpson put out a great record just last year.

Last edited:
Alright, finished up. I think it suffers from the same problems as XTC's Oranges and Lemons - there's some REALLY good stuff here (We've Got Your Back, The Sea Is A Good Place To Think Of The Future), but there's also some stuff that's filler, and it drags towards the end. The biggest problem these albums share is that they're incredibly overproduced - it's a case where they tried a lot of things on these songs, and then left every single thing on these songs. There's no space because they put in a backing vocal or a synth part where there could be nothing, and that actually hurts the songs themselves. XTC were guilty of this, too - there are three separate drum parts on "King For A Day", which gets a bit cluttered. It makes for a very exhausting listen as a result.

I did enjoy it a bunch, though.

I disagree, I think the overstuffed sound is partly why I love it and them so much. That hyperactivity is great and portrays a sense of fidgety anxiety that helps make it feel really genuine. I don't think it ever drags, maybe a fraction in the middle, but it ends really strongly in my opinion. It isn't perfect, but admittedly I'm biased. Glad you enjoyed it though.

You know what I'm freaking LOVING about Canada? The signs on the roads. This country knows how to inform people about what highway they're on, where it goes, how fast (slow, really) you can go, how many more kms to get there, and where you can eat and how far it is to get gas.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

You know what I'm freaking LOVING about Canada? The signs on the roads. This country knows how to inform people about what highway they're on, where it goes, how fast (slow, really) you can go, how many more kms to get there, and where you can eat and how far it is to get gas.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

What sort of madness is that? Next you'll tell me that their highway exits also indicate mile markers on the highway rather than labeled in an arbitrary, loosely numerical order.

Trying to remember where I've heard of Sturgill Simpson. Do not recall.

Yeah it kind of sounds like sturgeon. I just picture a fish playing the guitar.

Turns out my new phone contract comes with six months of Spotify premium for free. Time to listen to a whole bunch of albums I'd normally not bother to hear!

That's pretty dope. I'd just sign up to Spotify though. Nearly everything is on it and I don't even notice the money that comes out my account to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom