Random Music Talk CVIII: Enhanced with a string section...maybe.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh.... This lineup is tempting simply because D'angelo is already sold out at the Nokia Theater next month...

I've had plenty of flight delays, but never been on a plane that returned to the gate.

That happened to me a few years ago when I flew out of Minneapolis back to Seattle. My mom and I drove the three hours to Minneapolis from central Wisconsin as a blizzard was starting. Harrowing, to say the least. At least we had a Jeep. It took my mom 6 hours to drive home.

Got to the airport, planes are taking off, flight is only minimally delayed. Phew, thank goodness.

We sit at the gate for a long time. they had to bring in a vehicle to help get us out of the gate area, since it was so slippery and there was just a slight incline away from the gate.

We get in line for de-icing. We are sitting there for 3 hours, waiting to be de-iced. We head back to the gate because we have to refuel now.

We go back in line for de-icing. Shorter line now, we actually get de-iced.

BUT! We have to return to the gate again, because now the crew has been working for too many hours and cannot fly. We have been on the plane for 6 hours. (While we were re-fueling they say "you can get off if you want, but do not leave the immediate gate area, because if we get the call that we're good to go, we are going with or without you." I was in line to get off the plane when they said we were going, so I didn't get off the plane.)

As this is going on, I am having ten kinds of panic attacks and have run out of my anxiety meds (it had been a rough week). After I posted my angst on Facebook, Zoney checks in with me via text, and because Zoney is possibly the best person ever (and because I'm flying on the airline for which he works), he tells me he has gone ahead and booked me on the later flight to Seattle.

(Did I mention Zoney is possibly the best person ever?)

Anyway. They make us get off the plane, and we are waiting to see if the back-up pilots and crew can make it to the airport to actually fly us home. I am torn between waiting (we are told they are on their way), and trying to get onto that other flight (which is also delayed).

The crew shows up, everyone cheers, we get on the plane again (which is now about half empty due to people getting on the other flight or saying "fuck it" and getting a hotel room), and after a really, really, really long de-icing process, we finally leave.

tl;dr If fucking sucked and I cried a few times.

(But Zoney is possibly the best person ever.)

Bono himself could have been on the plane and come to comfort me, and I would have grabbed his lapels, shook him and yelled "GIVE ME ALL YOUR LORAZEPAM AND/OR VALIUM!"

This is the best clickbait banner ad I've seen in a while:

SFPoeYP.jpg

It led to something about Ellen DeGeneres and wrinkle cream.

Last edited:
I've been seeing those ads for at least a year now. Apparently Ellen just keeps getting dropped by Cover Girl again and again and again for hiding that secret from her fans for YEARS!

Also, someone I used to have a fling with a few years ago sent me a message today saying "hey, I'm sorry for paying you out about Mumford and Sons in 2010, their new album is really good."

I heard the single off it, and thought it was like a second rate Bon Iver, or a Coldplay album. Has anyone heard their new album, and is it worth even giving a thought to, or can I just go "eh, I heard the single and it's shite!"

(here's their new single, for anyone who hadn't heard it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6SkvErFEE)

Ugh.... This lineup is tempting simply because D'angelo is already sold out at the Nokia Theater next month...

Jesus now I see what you guys are talking about...that's a killer lineup. I'd go to that without hesitation.

Oh this was the one with all the traffic/tickets mishaps, no? Now I remember all the frustration.

I'm buying a sewing machine so I can make clothes for the stop motion puppet I'm building, cause that's what I do with my spare time. Just want you all to know. I'm so in over my head. I haven't used a sewing machine in line 15 years.

Wow, there might actually be a benefit out of having the Pan Am Games here this summer (and thankfully I'm close enough to bike or walk downtown so that I won't have to wait hours in traffic to get anywhere):

http://images.toronto2015.org/syste...NAMANIA_Live_at_Nathan_Phillips_Square_EN.pdf

http://images.toronto2015.org/system/asset_pdfs/celebration/CIBC_Pan_Am_Park_EN.pdf

Free concerts :hyper:

I'm excited for The Roots and Joel Plaskett Emergency especially, and I'll probably go check out the Flaming Lips if it's free. Maybe Colin James as well; he's a great blues musician, real popular in Canada in the 80s and 90s and still is on classic rock radio but I have no idea if anyone's ever heard of him south of the 49th.

There are a lot of great female-fronted singer/songwriter records this year (Waxahatchee, Jessica Pratt, Laura Marling) but I think Torres' is my favorite. There's a good amount of variety, the lyrics cut deep and no tracks should be skipped. It's a great experience.

It's amusing that Mumford & Sons is receiving Dylanesque backlash for going electric:

Reviews for Wilder Mind by Mumford & Sons - Metacritic

Even though they really don't suck any more or less than they did before. It made virtually no impact on the magnitude of their suckiness. It just sounds like a weak Delta Spirit album.

Did you guys know that Aaron Dessner is the guy playing guitar for them? Because I didn't. That's terrible news.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom