Random Music Talk CVII - At Home with Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with this. I think you need those filler songs to break things up across the album - if you followed Hold My Life with Kiss Me On The Bus, the latter wouldn't work nearly as well. Similarly, the beginning of Left of the Dial works because it's sort of out of nowhere - Lay It Down Clown is a dumb fucking punk song between two rock classics.

Man, the shitty songs don't need to be there to make the good ones sound better. Just write more good ones. Or better dumb fucking punk songs. Like I said, I think the Let It Be's dumb fucking punk songs are more successful because they add to the aesthetic of the record. It seems like 75% of Tim is going in a relatively commercial friendly direction, whereas the remaining 25% is there to remind you of what the band previously sounded like.

The same issue is there on Pleased to Meet Me, but something about the loose approach to that album makes the demarcation less obvious. Every track offers something different.

I'm entirely indifferent toward lay it down clown. It's not so bad I skip it because when I listen to Tim I usually listen to it all the way through without skipping anything. However, if I'm only going to listen to my favorite songs from the album, it doesn't make the cut.

Her song for Rihanna was really, really bad. New track is much closer to what I was hoping for from her follow up to Visions.

Travis, you're developing a nasty habit of being wrong lately! "Go" didn't do much for me either way on first listen, but after a few more it lodged itself firmly as a good song. Not her greatest, but definitely enjoyable.

Need to give this new one a listen.

that new Grimes song is very good.
Yeah it's great. I didn't exactly enjoy her last album but if the next one has another few songs like this one then I'll love it.

LM's avatar really confused me BTW. Took me a while until I realized it wasn't pfan.

"Go" didn't do much for me either way on first listen, but after a few more it lodged itself firmly as a good song. Not her greatest, but definitely enjoyable.

Yeah I really don't know where that song acquired such a terrible reputation.

I'm the one whose prose indicates being perpetually hungover. Which, holy shit guys. And it's fucking snowing. Jesus, what did I wake up to? God damn.

Also: Weren't Chromatics supposed to have an album out by now? What happened?

Yeah even I'm getting confused seeing my own posts, so I changed it.

Chromatics' album drops 3/30.

Man, the shitty songs don't need to be there to make the good ones sound better. Just write more good ones. Or better dumb fucking punk songs. Like I said, I think the Let It Be's dumb fucking punk songs are more successful because they add to the aesthetic of the record. It seems like 75% of Tim is going in a relatively commercial friendly direction, whereas the remaining 25% is there to remind you of what the band previously sounded like.

The same issue is there on Pleased to Meet Me, but something about the loose approach to that album makes the demarcation less obvious. Every track offers something different.

Seconded.

giphy.gif

I had a work function/award ceremony to attend to. I'm barely 3 months into my new job. I heard legendary stories from staff about .. Well .. Staff things where everyone can drink. Our boss was buying us so many drinks. I had 5 dry martinis because I was feeling fancy. After my fifth I chilled and drank water as we all began to wind down close to 11pm when one of our staff decides to jump on stage to join this cover band and sing with them. We filmed it. Anyway. I leave with everyone. I decide to take a detour on my way home and take some cool night time street photos of things. I get back on the road after photographing a mega church with a neon cross.. I'm trying to figure out why there is so much traffic on this road I'm taking.. I get closer to the source and I see the big LCD sign that says "Be prepared to stop and show driver's license" I see policemen and women.. I see lights set up and a testing center.. I see a van with young kids pull over to the side of the road.. So I'm all "oh shit, it's a DUI checkpoint". So I get my wallet out, roll down my window.. Think about the 5 martinis I had.. Wonder if it is on my breath.. I pull up to the cop and hand him my license... We have this exchange:

" you have anything to drink tonight?"
"Oh, no..."
"Okay, drive safe and have a goodnight"
"Thank you, you too!"

Then I drive off and listen to Tom Waits and photograph more street shit as I think about my luck.

I have a high tolerance for alcohol now. And luck I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom