Random Music Talk CVII - At Home with Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personal news alert:

Well, have lived by myself for a bit over a fortnight, having previously lived by myself for three years when I first moved to Melbourne. My partner of more than five years left me at the start of the month. It was unexpected. I'm... still alive. I've kept a lid on the news until now because we hadn't quite decided whether or not we'd say it publicly until yesterday (we're still talking, and hope to remain friends). Plus it's just been nice to come to Interference and post banal jokes and talk about sport. Anyway, there's my first and hopefully last Serious Personal Life Post in RMT. As you were.

Sorry to hear the news.

It really is. An absolutely fantastic way to end Kid A as well.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't actually follow myself, just wanted to use the phrase. Even though I know I should. Life would be so much better if I weren't rushing around for ingredients WHILE food is burning on the stove.

This is why I live by myself.

Personal news alert:

Well, have lived by myself for a bit over a fortnight, having previously lived by myself for three years when I first moved to Melbourne. My partner of more than five years left me at the start of the month. It was unexpected. I'm... still alive. I've kept a lid on the news until now because we hadn't quite decided whether or not we'd say it publicly until yesterday (we're still talking, and hope to remain friends). Plus it's just been nice to come to Interference and post banal jokes and talk about sport. Anyway, there's my first and hopefully last Serious Personal Life Post in RMT. As you were.

I find that being the age I am at, and staying with my father for a few months is just.. weird. He's odd. You reach an age, I guess, that you realize parents are really strange people.

I don't actually follow myself, just wanted to use the phrase. Even though I know I should. Life would be so much better if I weren't rushing around for ingredients WHILE food is burning on the stove.

Yep. I think this might be the one thing all chefs agree with: you can't skip mise en place. I need to get better at it myself.

Lay It Down Clown is such a fucking buzzkill on Tim. Outside of that track, the second half is absolutely perfect. Bastards of Young into Left of the Dial would be one of my all-time favorite transitions.

The throwaway punk songs work much better on Let It Be because they're funnier and fit more smoothly into the album's aesthetic. On Tim they just feel like a waste of time.

Lay It Down Clown is such a fucking buzzkill on Tim. Outside of that track, the second half is absolutely perfect. Bastards of Young into Left of the Dial would be one of my all-time favorite transitions.

The throwaway punk songs work much better on Let It Be because they're funnier and fit more smoothly into the album's aesthetic. On Tim they just feel like a waste of time.

One of their worst songs for sure. My least favorite song on Pleased To Meet Me is a similarly dumb rocker Shooting Dirty Pool, but I still like it and it doesn't ruin the album.

I really love a good visual metaphor in lyrics.

And I feel like I'm the host
of a terrible game-show
and the guests on today's quiz are celebrities

Won't respond to any clues
they're just cracking jokes for views
but the answers to these questions mean everything

ihop-criss-croissants-nothing-like-it-large-2.jpg

IMG_5065_zpspl6yyrla.jpg

Hope you brought leftovers home for Outcat.

This year has been so terrific so far that, if the year ended now, my year end list wouldn't be all that different in quality from last year's:

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
3. Panda Bear - Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper
4. Viet Cong - Viet Cong
5. Bjork - Vulnicura
6. Laura Marling - Short Movie
7. Waxahatchee - Ivy Tripp
8. Susanne Sundfør - Ten Love Songs
9. Pinkshinyultrablast - Everything Else Matters
10. Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again
11. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
12. Cloakroom - Further Out
13. Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$
14. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
15. The Dodos - Individ

Only disappointing part is the lack of variety. It's all rap, shoegaze and folk. Not a lot of good rock records yet except for Viet Cong. Lots of great ones coming up though; Speedy Ortiz, Metz, Built to Spill, Thee Oh Sees, Mikal Cronin, Lightning Bolt, Joanna Gruesome and so on. Something good should come out of that.

Not a lot of good rock records yet except for Viet Cong. Lots of great ones coming up though; Speedy Ortiz, Metz, Built to Spill, Thee Oh Sees, Mikal Cronin, Lightning Bolt, Joanna Gruesome and so on. Something good should come out of that.

Not only has my MMJ thread been unreplied to, the band has been omitted from your list of potential rock standouts. When those guys want to jam, they can with the best of them.

Not only has my MMJ thread been unreplied to, the band has been omitted from your list of potential rock standouts. When those guys want to jam, they can with the best of them.

I haven't really loved an MMJ album since Z, but I expect to enjoy much of it and look forward to the tour.

Courtney Barnett, dude. cmon

There's a reason I haven't replied in that thread since the album's release. Her jump to rock was a little hit or miss for me. I've heard the album twice and hope it grows on me.

Giving Violator a listen tonight on the 25th anniversary of its release.

This year has been so terrific so far that, if the year ended now, my year end list wouldn't be all that different in quality from last year's:

The only standout album for me so far has been Purity Ring. But then I've entirely no interest in listening to Kendrick, Sufjan, etc.

(Pinkshinyultrablast and, to a lesser extent, Cloakroom are perfectly listenable shoegaze but I haven't returned to them much.)

I don't agree with this. I think you need those filler songs to break things up across the album - if you followed Hold My Life with Kiss Me On The Bus, the latter wouldn't work nearly as well. Similarly, the beginning of Left of the Dial works because it's sort of out of nowhere - Lay It Down Clown is a dumb fucking punk song between two rock classics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom