Random Music Talk CV: The Human Fund - Money for Leo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was aware that's what he was doing, but it doesn't mean it can't start a conversation. No reason to single people out.

Fine, screw you guys.

1. Achtung Baby
2. The White Album
3. Pavement, Wowee Zowee
4. Sugar, Copper Blue
5. The Replacements, Pleased To Meet Me

Ok, just playing along...

...when I'm listening to U2, I listen to nothing but U2.
When I'm listening to Roger Waters/Pink Floyd, I listen to nothing but RW/PF.

So, removing those two, I'll go -in no particular order- with:

1. Origin of Symmetry -Muse
2. OK Computer -Radiohead
3. New Adventures in HiFi -REM

Complete it with two of the following:

Laid -James
Synchronicity -Police
Microcastle -Deerhunter
Brothers in arms -Dire Straits
Doolittle -Pixies
Our Love to Admire -Interpol
Swoon -Silversun Pickups
Only Revolutions -Biffy Clyro
Cerulean -Ocean Blue
You Could Have it so Much Better -Franz Ferdinand
The Suburbs -Arcade Fire

And I'm sure I'm missing something since this just from the top of my head.

Sinners & Saints - the sky is falling
The Who - Quadrophenia
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St
Springsteen - Nebraska
The Clash - self titled

Laid -James
Synchronicity -Police
Microcastle -Deerhunter
Doolittle -Pixies
Swoon -Silversun Pickups
Cerulean -Ocean Blue
The Suburbs -Arcade Fire

I'll pick Doolitte (probably in my Top 10) and...uhh...Synchronicity?

It's perhaps a surprise to everyone that IWB's top 5 might be my favorite so far.

Is that supposed to be some kind of consolation for her DI placement?

I've got to say this surprises me, not because AB is lacking in some way, but because you have heard so much music that I would think several albums would trump it.

I wouldn't say this about every album in my Top 10, or even my Top 5, but I actually think it's "objectively" one of the top handful of albums ever recorded. I don't think there's a bum note or line on there, and each song carves out its own unique sonic space, maybe with the exception of Ultraviolet (and I don't mean that as a dig on the quality, but by track 10 it sounds "familiar" to previous songs). And it's an album I admire for its adventurousness and creativity but also one that connects on an emotional level. Not every album does that.

It's one of the few albums I'd call perfect. I loved it the first time I heard it, it quickly became my favorite, and it's never been challenged for that spot. And it came out when I was between 19-20, which is a fairly impressionable time. I had just gotten into U2 within the last year, so War, Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, etc. were on relatively equal footing and I went in less biased than older U2 fans.

At any rate, on another day, Steely Dan's Countdown To Ecstasy or The Afghan Whigs' Black Love might nudge out The Replacements for my 5 spot.

I don't remember the last time I ever attempted to make a definitive ranking. In no particular order:

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
U2 - Achtung Baby
Kent - Isola
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Splean - Arms Collector

I've got to say this surprises me, not because AB is lacking in some way, but because you have heard so much music that I would think several albums would trump it.

This kinda suggests that it's okay to have it as your number one until you go on discovering other stuff that must be better because it's more, I dunno, sophisticated cos it's not U2? I only say that because I've heard so much music in the last four or five years but no album has really come close to knocking Dark Side or Achtung from my top two.

Ok, just playing along...

...when I'm listening to U2, I listen to nothing but U2.
When I'm listening to Roger Waters/Pink Floyd, I listen to nothing but RW/PF.

So, removing those two, I'll go -in no particular order- with:

1. Origin of Symmetry -Muse
2. OK Computer -Radiohead
3. New Adventures in HiFi -REM

Laid -James
Synchronicity -Police
Microcastle -Deerhunter
Doolittle -Pixies
Swoon -Silversun Pickups
Cerulean -Ocean Blue
The Suburbs -Arcade Fire

And I'm sure I'm missing something since this just from the top of my head.

you may stay.

I wouldn't say this about every album in my Top 10, or even my Top 5, but I actually think it's "objectively" one of the top handful of albums ever recorded. I don't think there's a bum note or line on there, and each song carves out its own unique sonic space, maybe with the exception of Ultraviolet (and I don't mean that as a dig on the quality, but by track 10 it sounds "familiar" to previous songs). And it's an album I admire for its adventurousness and creativity but also one that connects on an emotional level. Not every album does that.

This largely describes Led Zeppelin IV for me, which is the best album I have ever heard. Even though many of those songs are radio and cultural institutions, they still floor me every time I hear them. The diversity of style on display there is superb as well.

For me:

1. Led Zeppelin IV
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Kind of Blue

After that there are just too many possibilities.

I could never hear a single song of zeppelin's IV again and be quite happy about it.

Jeez all time top 5 is tough as hell...off the cuff I'd say

Quadrophenia
Vitalogy
Achtung Baby
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Women and Children First

I did a tabulation of my music library tonight because the Flyers suck.

553 total albums
1960s: 29
1970s: 49
1980s: 34
1990s: 47
2000s: 185
2010s: 209

X was a really good band. I've heard their first three albums now and they were all solid. Still put on a great show too.

Loaded, huh? Definitely my least favorite of VU's albums that aren't Squeeze, but Rock And Roll is about as good as music gets. Especially the solo. That might be my favorite guitar solo (that's a list for another day).

Sweet Jane/Rock And Roll would also the best single of all time, if not for Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever and Wouldn't It Be Nice/God Only Knows. Sometimes I can't believe those actually exist.

Last edited:
Nice to see someone else champion Loaded. While I wouldn't claim it to be a superior work of art to the debut album, I think it's their best collection of songs and have listened to it many more times than anything else they've done.

For me, the best guitar solo is on Oh! Sweet Nuthin', easily.

The self-titled is my second favorite VU album.

I saw that she was on the Governors Ball lineup, maybe she'll announce more shows soon with this new album on the horizon.

This one hasn't changed in ten years and probably never will.

Achtung Baby
Vitalogy
OK Computer
Disintegration
Angel Dust

Bonus EP: Jar of Flies

Nice. I'd check out 1965 next. It's funkier than the other two, and nearly as good overall. Some even like it more.

I like it more.

Back
Top Bottom