Random Music Talk CIX: Thank God We Have Limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't listen to In Rainbows much, because it's not something I can really just put on, everything about it feels so huge to me. It is just something incredible, it really is. It's been like eight years since I heard Weird Fishes for the first time and yet every time I hear it it still takes me out of my body for five minutes. Would be my #1 song evah if Streets wasn't Streets.

I have the same relationship with The Joshua Tree. I can't just put it on whenever; it requires a certain degree of reverence.

Totally agree that In Rainbows is a modern classic.

I listened to Songs For the Deaf today. If that isn't a driving record I don't know what is.

I have yet to find a better song to drive to than Ocean Between the Waves.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

:up: :up: :up: :up:

It supplanted When You Were Young by The Killers as my favorite driving song, which had been my favorite for a good 7-8 years. That outro solo makes me wanna hit 110 on the freeway.

Kraftwerk's Autobahn album (or at least the lengthy title track) was made specifically to replicate the feeling of high speed driving.

My mind just exploded. I listen to that album all the time on long drives, but I never knew that.

My mind just exploded. I listen to that album all the time on long drives, but I never knew that.

Yeah, it's compositionally very interesting. A couple things from wiki:

"The title track is intended to capture the feeling of driving on the Autobahn: from travelling through the landscape, the high-speed concentration on the fast lane, to tuning the car radio and the monotony of a long trip. It describes the A 555 from Köln to Bonn—the first Autobahn ever. It was built under the mayor Konrad Adenauer in 1929 to 1932 without any intersections."

Band member Wolfgang Flür later commented: "No! Someone else told me that they [the misinterpreters] thought the way we speak in German, 'Fahren,' which means driving, sounds like the English word, 'fun.' 'Fahren fahren fahren,' 'fun fun fun.' That is wrong. But it works. Driving is fun. We had no speed limit on the autobahn, we could race through the highways, through the Alps, so yes, fahren fahren fahren, fun fun fun. But it wasn't anything to do with the Beach Boys! We used to drive a lot, we used to listen to the sound of driving, the wind, passing cars and lorries, the rain, every moment the sounds around you are changing, and the idea was to rebuild those sounds on the synth."

I found "Contact" by Daft Punk to be one of those songs that makes you want to floor it, once it kicks in.

Sent from my SM-G730V using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm in a job where I can listen to music at work again :drool: heard 6 albums today:

If I Should Fall From Grace with God, as mentioned, so good. Really picks up after Fairytale of New York.

10,9,8,7,6,5,5,3,2,1 is OK, but Midnight Oil's lead singer is finally too much for me as well. Must be Travis rubbing off on me. The opener is ace, though.

The Dreaming isn't what I was expecting, but then again, all I want from is more Running up the Hill and I'm not going to get that. This is the consequence of writing an amazing song.

Relistened to Metropolis Pt2 by Dream Theater. First time since high school. Even better than I remembered. Love that band

The new MMJ record is fantastic. The opening duo two of my favorites of the year.

And I Relistened to NLOTH for the first time in some time. I'll take that convo to the cockforce, but I was pleasantly surprised, while still experiencing some of the same Ole problems

Kraftwerk's Autobahn album (or at least the lengthy title track) was made specifically to replicate the feeling of high speed driving.
anyone who knows me knows how emphatically i'd agree with this statement. plus last summer i was on the autobahn a few times and did indeed listen to the album while on it. pretty mindblowing. (also listened to tee during pretty much every long-distance rail trip i took...the tee no longer exists but it's still a great accompaniment of course)

but even here in the states of course, autobahn is perfect for interstate/highway driving. the title track is fantastic of course but side b, man...it's perfection. not really driving-themed so much but musically it's amazing.

Also anecdotally, I think the way they mixed this is kind of amazing.
agreed, that song is awesome.

Which one?

"Money Changes Everything". It's just out of fucking NOWHERE.

Also, "Time After Time" is a god damned dirge.

agreed, that song is awesome.

I was watching the Big Star documentary a few weeks ago. Apparently Chilton had played the entire thing, voice and guitar on one track, in one take. The rest of the song was built around that recording, as they obviously couldn't separate the voice and guitar, by Jim Dickinson trying to figure out what Chilton wanted, without Chilton telling him anything about the song.

It sounds like absolutely nothing else.

"Money Changes Everything". It's just out of fucking NOWHERE.

Also, "Time After Time" is a god damned dirge.

I love both of those songs. That album is nearly a masterpiece, but the few nonsingles are traaaaassshhhh.

I was late to the party on this, but yes. That opener is so damn good.

A shame the album isn't getting discussed more.

I've, in general, been pretty happy with them, as of late.

Is it a good place to start?
It's fine if you're insisting on hearing their newest thing. Most people would suggest Z otherwise.

I was watching the Big Star documentary a few weeks ago. Apparently Chilton had played the entire thing, voice and guitar on one track, in one take. The rest of the song was built around that recording, as they obviously couldn't separate the voice and guitar, by Jim Dickinson trying to figure out what Chilton wanted, without Chilton telling him anything about the song.

It sounds like absolutely nothing else.
oh man, now i wanna give the documentary a rewatch. i still consider seeing big star third live last year to be one of the best concerts i've seen. definitely the best free show i've been to.

I love both of those songs. That album is nearly a masterpiece, but the few nonsingles are traaaaassshhhh.

Great Side One for that album, but FUCK Side Two is a bit of a chore to get through. Some real hot garbage on there. It ends pretty underwhelmingly, too. :(

oh man, now i wanna give the documentary a rewatch. i still consider seeing big star third live last year to be one of the best concerts i've seen. definitely the best free show i've been to.

As someone who could be said to be a casual Big Star fan (if they exist?) the documentary was so great. I get why the band is revered so much now.

(And of course NOW I find out they did the Third show here last year and I wasn't even aware of it. I missed out on seeing Mike Mills and Jody Stephens on the same stage?! Damnit!)

Oh I'm definitely a casual fan. I'm glad I took Travis to see the documentary and concert, though, because even as a casual fan, I chalk both of those experiences up as incredibly special.

The first 6 songs on She's So Unusual are really good. "When You Were Mine" (cover or not) and "All Through The Night" are just as good as "Money Changes Everything" and "Time After Time" is one of the all time best songs. "She Bop" and "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" are enjoyable enough.

But the last 4 tracks are the hottest hot garbage.

Ice_Cube_HS_Yearbook.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom