Random Music Talk CIX: Thank God We Have Limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't believe I never heard Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds until today. For some reason I had assumed it was primarily an instrumental soundtrack, and I never see anyone talking about it.

Much to my surprise, I think 8 of the 10 tracks had vocals, and I enjoyed everything on the album. It has a casual vibe, not mellow like parts of Meddle but more rollicking, and sounds close to typical "classic rock". Normally I would say this is a bad thing but I mean to say more that it sounds very "un-Floyd" compared to much of their other work. There are a couple songs that are reminiscent of previous album Meddle or the subsequent Dark Side Of The Moon, but it definitely stands apart from those two.

More to add later, curious if anyone else has thoughts on this.

Can't believe I never heard Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds until today. For some reason I had assumed it was primarily an instrumental soundtrack, and I never see anyone talking about it.

Much to my surprise, I think 8 of the 10 tracks had vocals, and I enjoyed everything on the album. It has a casual vibe, not mellow like parts of Meddle but more rollicking, and sounds close to typical "classic rock". Normally I would say this is a bad thing but I mean to say more that it sounds very "un-Floyd" compared to much of their other work. There are a couple songs that are reminiscent of previous album Meddle or the subsequent Dark Side Of The Moon, but it definitely stands apart from those two.

More to add later, curious if anyone else has thoughts on this.

Solid album, and of course during that period they could do next to nothing wrong. The title track is genuinely great, and the rest of it does have that country-ish flair they gravitated toward every so often. In terms of soundtracks, I'd still take More, only because it has higher highs, but ObC is a good listen nonetheless.

We had a pretty cool thunder and lightening storm the other evening here in Southern California.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Obscured by Clouds is a unique gem. It sounds like nothing else Pink Floyd made. Free Four, Wots...Uh the Deal, and The Gold It's In The... are all great songs, and Childhood's End is even better.

Obscured By Clouds is one of my favorite autumn records (or used to be, back when I lived in a region with four seasons :angry: ). I usually put it on around Halloween. It's very moody, weary music but gentle and melodic.

Solid album, and of course during that period they could do next to nothing wrong. The title track is genuinely great, and the rest of it does have that country-ish flair they gravitated toward every so often. In terms of soundtracks, I'd still take More, only because it has higher highs, but ObC is a good listen nonetheless.

More is next on my docket, but that one definitely has fewer songs with vocals, correct?

I absolutely loved Free Four, Burning Bridges, Wot's...Uh the Deal, The Gold It's In The..., and Childhood's End.

Last week I was giving Animals another listen after a long while (maybe it was discussed here recently?), and I enjoyed it a lot more than before. Would probably put it above Dark Side of the Moon at this point, though TBH I've never been a huge fan of the latter. Always been more of a Wish You Were Here/Meddle type of guy.

Obscured By Clouds is great. I think it gets overlooked because it wasn't really played live that much - OBC/WYI was a staple on their late 72 and 1973 tours, but disappeared quite quickly. Childhood's End was also a great song live, but it was only ever played ~10-15 times.

In contrast, Cymbaline and Green Is The Colour, both off More, were played for a number of years in pretty prominent positions in the set, and a few other songs were also pulled out sporadically, which meant that More had more of a live presence.

EDIT: Here's a live version of Childhood's End. Very Echoes-like funky mid section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wja_jhP_DGo

On weather, fucking lol at y'all dying when it's 36-37 degrees. I'd trade this 10-15 degrees celsius bullshit we've got going on at the moment for that eight days a week.

On Floyd, I have not heard Obscured By Clouds but I have heard More. Cymbaline is so beautiful.

And Animals would be my third-rated Floyd album, behind Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. Not sure any band has a top three as strong as that.

Not exactly the best quality. I like how true it stays to the original. I was half expecting some drop halfway through.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPaq0Mlw1XU

Ohh dude. I would have lost my fucking mind right there with you. That's just about spot on note for note musically (just lacking those otherworldly backing vocals). Has he got a band with him? And I'm reminded why I can only listen to the song very occasionally. So, so powerful and amazing.

I remember thinking that some of the visuals were made for tripping. But drugs aren't my thing. I'm not exactly against smoking some pot or anything but I've never actively seeked it out either.

Fair enough of course! I enjoy ecstasy/MDMA from time to time but that's about it. Had a bad experience with psychedelics so can only imagine what these things would look like if you were tripping balls.

Nick Cave Is Now a Toy | News | Pitchfork

None of them have the moustache?? Bullshit.

Missed opportunity for sure.

Back
Top Bottom