Random Music Talk CIX: Thank God We Have Limes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Franz Ferdinand and Sparks made an album together (as FFS) and...it's pretty good! In general, I've written off new FF material at this point, but this collaboration was too strange to pass up.

In all honesty, they've both dabbled in the realm of new wave enough for it to work and Sparks reined themselves in to focus mostly on their glam side, so the collaboration actually makes sense. Certain songs sound like one band more than the either, but none go full bore and leave one band out.

I would absolutely love to see a Franz Ferdinand/Sparks/FFS bill a la some Run the Jewels performances.

Hmm...you guys are making me think I should check out The Verve more.
Agreed. They're one of those bands that I've been meaning to check out for ages but I always forget about when choosing something to listen to.

I'm listening to that live version of Slide Away now and wow I'm impressed. I didn't know The Verve was basically a shoegaze band in their earlier years.

Speaking of Slide Away, I recently discovered that the first two Oasis albums are actually really good. Especially Definitely Maybe. That's just a great rock record. Slide Away is my favorite track on the thing.

Speaking of Slide Away, I recently discovered that the first two Oasis albums are actually really good. Especially Definitely Maybe. That's just a great rock record. Slide Away is my favorite track on the thing.

What do you mean actually? It's a fairly universal opinion that those first two albums are great.

Well Oasis are pretty roundly mocked here. As for The Verve, I know three songs, Bittersweet Sympathy, Drugs Don't Work and Love is Noise. I shall listen to more following this conversation.

I don't recall that much here aside from Laz mentioning how much he despises them on occasions. Even then, I think the mocking is mostly geared towards Liam Gallagher, and that's understandable.

Yep.

I listened to Morning Glory this week and it hasn't really held up too well for me. I never cared for the opening track, the singles are great, and Champagne Supernova sounds nice but has some of the dumbest lyrics I've ever heard.

Definitely Maybe is very good, but nothing earth-shattering. My favorites on there are Columbia and Slide Away

I don't remember which Verve albums I listened to. I think I listened to two, and I did have their greatest hits for a while. Didn't really like much of anything other than Lucky Man and the obvious hit.

The good news is I don't have to drive to Bonnaroo any longer. The bad news is that it's because my car (parked and unoccupied at the time) has been totaled. I'm surprised by how unfazed I am by this.

I don't remember which Verve albums I listened to. I think I listened to two, and I did have their greatest hits for a while. Didn't really like much of anything other than Lucky Man and the obvious hit.

I wore my copy of Urban Hymns out back in the day. It probably comes in my top 15 of 90s albums. Any other decade it probably would be top 10.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well in that case you need some Urban Hymns in your life.

That was where I started, I liked Bittersweet Symphony, Lucky Man, and Sonnet when I saw the videos as a teenager on TV, and came across a used copy of the CD one day at a thrift store. Fortunately I had a few bucks in my pocket that day (I bought Zooropa at the same time) and played the shit out of it but didn't hear a single other song by them for probably 5 years until I came across Slide Away.

I like this song a lot but a big part of why I like it is for the nostalgia feels. High school drinking songs :up:

EDIT: Just so y'all can plan to pool your money in time for Christmas. Thanks in advance, guys: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VERVE-Voyage...934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51d18776f6

Apple Music announcement = nothing new under the sun

I was a little bummed that there wasn't a new Apple TV after all. I use mine all the time, but the UI sucks and needs a refresh badly. These days a new generation of Apple TV (that isn't an actual TV set because fuck you Apple if you do that) is the only Apple product I could get excited for.

Well Oasis are pretty roundly mocked here. As for The Verve, I know three songs, Bittersweet Sympathy, Drugs Don't Work and Love is Noise. I shall listen to more following this conversation.

Love Is Noise? Friggin' Cobbler.

I visited one of my mates last night. He's got a 2yo daughter. She is super fucking cute and it has been so long since I interacted with a kid of that age that I forgot about their babbling. She was showing me her Peppa Pig book and we had like a 10-minute conversation and I think I understood maybe two or three words. It was so delightful and innocent and wonderful and really made me smile. Who knows what the fuck she was talking about :lol:

Unfortunately my 16yo sister is being horrible to my parents and when I left this morning mum was in tears and it broke my heart :(

I wore my copy of Urban Hymns out back in the day. It probably comes in my top 15 of 90s albums. Any other decade it probably would be top 10.

:up:
Urban Hymns is one of my favorite albums ever. Velvet Morning, Space and Time, and Lucky Man really got me hooked on them. The only song on it that I don't care for would be Catching The Butterfly.

Back
Top Bottom