Random Music Talk CI - That's When I Reach For My Refresh Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cloud Nothings get better with each album.

I don't particularly care for Japandroids except for that one song.

Cloud Nothings' recent album sucks and I can't, for the life of me, figure out what anyone sees in it. Biggest disappointment of 2014.

Great album. Much more consistent than Attack on Memory, which had its share of cheesy songs. Biggest surprise of 2014.

I very much enjoyed the new James album, however, but it's probably not essential listening.

Cloud Nothings' new album was disappointing to me as well. It sounds basically the same as the last one, only with a couple good songs (really just I'm Not Part of Me) instead of 4-5. I'm not exactly a fan to begin with though.

Last edited:
Did you come across an article of all the songs James Murphy had "sampled" (read: plagiarized) or what?

Was chatting about the band on FB with a friend.

I'm messing with Cobbler as usual and I love the band, but the fact remains that there are no credits on the albums to Bowie, Iggy Pop, Kraftwerk etc. at all. I think it's a miracle someone didn't sue his big ass. Plagiarism may be harsh, but "homage" and "sample" (samples are credited) are nice euphemisms that present the other side of the same coin.

Are we certain he technically sampled them though? I mean Somebody's Calling Me is essentially a straight rip of Nightclubbing but it sounds like they just played very similar music, rather than actually sampling it. And the beat from The Robots isn't 100% the beat from Get Innocuous (about 90%, sure). And All I Want surely doesn't sample Bowie at all.

I'm probably just being a sycophant though.

He didn't sample them. That's the point. He nicked the melodies.

So I just submitted an article entitled 'In Defence of Kanye West' and it's going live on a popular music blog today. I'm about to get fucking torn to shreds :lol: I'll post the FB link for anyone wanting to watch hundreds of people hate on me at the same time.

it annoys me how formal the NY Times is. "Steven P. Jobs"? "Mr. Iovine"? really?

I'm surprised they don't refer to Bono as "Mr Vox".

I'm still sceptical anything will happen tomorrow. If it does, I'd hardly be shocked if it's just Bono and Edge strumming out a rough acoustic Desire / Beatles Song (snippet) with cringeworthy modified lyrics about Apple.

Maybe it's a (Red) iWatch? The whole thing sounds fishy, NYT report notwithstanding. Have they even rehearsed? I'm sure they will be there in some capacity, but doubt there's a performance of a new song involved.

It all sounded stupidly fishy to me until the NYT article...now I'm feeling some excitement, albeit with extreme trepidation.

what's your third favourite Kanye lyric?

I think mine is "I never understood planned parenthood cos I never met nobody 'planned to be a parent in the hood"

I was listening to a classic rock station on the way to work, and they were talking about yesterday being the anniversary of Keith Moon's death. Then the dj goes, here's The Who and Keith Moon, and they played "eminence front." WTF.

I liked attack on memory, but after listening to it a bunch a little while after it came out, I never bothered to go back to it. The more recent one was even more forgettable.

Back
Top Bottom