Random Music Talk CI - That's When I Reach For My Refresh Button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not my least favourite, iYup, but it would definitely be in the bottom echelon. I do think the music is nice at times, and the verses are okay, but fuck me, the premise, and those lyrics... so much worse than Stand Up Comedy.

Magnificent remains my least favourite on the album however. But I too haven't listened to it since at least 2010.

ok, i'm playing the star wars mmo i usually play, and a character named "spottieottie dopalicious" just ran past me.

cobbler? you play this game, too?

Magnificent remains my least favourite on the album however. But I too haven't listened to it since at least 2010.

I think the intro and main riff to Magnificent are killer - combined they make it a good song, though the bridge and solo (especially how abruptly the solo moves back into the chorus) are serious weak points.

Like djerdap, I'm starting to realize that I don't like much of 2000s U2. In fact I would rank those three albums as the three lowest in their catalogue. I guess that makes me one of the Vampire Weekend-coddling hipsters Nick66 is always on about, but oh well. All three of those 2000s albums are just so damn uneven. There was an alternate scenario around 1999 I guess where Stateless and Ground Beneath Her Feet became the primary direction, but for some reason decided they needed to write Elevation instead.

I was listening to No Line the other day and realized that Unknown Caller is my probably my least favorite U2 song. It seems to be aiming for some kind of profundity, but the lyrics are so daft and the pacing of the song so languid that the listener becomes numb to any kind of statement that might be buried underneath all of the nonsense. Edge's guitar work is surprisingly flaccid, especially in the solo, and that tepid ambient lead-in makes no sense in light of the robotic chorus. I know people point to Stand Up Comedy as the nadir of that album, but at least it's done in under four minutes; Unknown Caller plods on for six. The song is just a complete and utter disaster from my view.

[Diemen's non-mod opinion]
Agree with all of this. I especially don't understand the people who rave over Edge's solo. Yes, it's not the same 4-bar line repeated twice. Yeah, there are a lot of notes (for Edge), but they don't say anything, and certainly don't lead anywhere interesting.
[/Diemen's non-mod opinion]

I like the verses: the writing, the playing, the singing. There's that section about the accident and Edge plays this little part that sounds pretty dark and menacing.

And I love the group chanting of the chorus, even if the lyrics are idiotic.

The guitar intro is nice, the solo is whatever, as Diemen states above.

Agree with all of this. I especially don't understand the people who rave over Edge's solo. Yes, it's not the same 4-bar line repeated twice. Yeah, there are a lot of notes (for Edge), but they don't say anything, and certainly don't lead anywhere interesting.

Stop ostracizing those who like Unknown Caller, for god's sake. :wink:

It leads directly into Crazy Tonight, so it certainly doesn't lead anywhere interesting. However, the way it comes out of the french horn fanfare is glorious, and it provides a great catharsis for the character in the song. I think it's one of the most cohesive, considered songs U2 have recorded during this era of their career.

It leads directly into Crazy Tonight, so it certainly doesn't lead anywhere interesting.

:applaud:

However, the way it comes out of the french horn fanfare is glorious, and it provides a great catharsis for the character in the song.

I can get behind this. The actual guitar work itself isn't exactly groundbreaking, but the elements were all arranged nicely. It's a great job of production from Messrs. Eno and Lanois.

I think it's one of the most cohesive, considered songs U2 have recorded during this era of their career.

Considered, yeah. Maybe over-considered, because it's extremely divisive among fans, and the live version went over like a lead balloon. The sing-a-long attempt was painful to watch.

The detractors aren't going to have much to say here, I'm sure, but I'm wondering what people think about this originally being the first song on the album, if we go by the Linear tracklisting given to Corbijn before shooting. Would it have worked? I will say that I think Moment Of Surrender works best in the penultimate "epic" spot, right before the typical downbeat closing track. So there are things about this order I like.

Oh look, everyone in Random Music Talk hates Unknown Caller...

...in other news, The Cure, The Clash, Radiohead and the Beatles.

It's weird to me how frequently you guys bring up this one song and how so many of you can feel SO much bile towards it when, even if I didn't love it, I could point out at least 5 or 6 legitimately terrible (officially released) tracks by the band that are far more worthy of this much, frequent criticism.

And what would those be?

Elvis Ate America
Red Light (not my own opinion, just more frequently bandied about by the whole)
Stand Up Comedy
Grace
Wild Honey

EDIT: Sorry, it just gets tedious to see something you love so frequently bashed in this thread. It sometimes seems like this topic comes up, if not once a week, at least once a month. It would be nice if they'd release something new already so the forum can get a new whipping boy. (Or not, it would be great if every track is universally fantastic, but, well, yeah...I don't see that happening). I'm not trying to suggest or say that I can't handle criticism over something I like, nor censor conversation, I'm just grumpy. It's early, I haven't had coffee, etc. etc. office work cliches. Carry on as you were.

I think Grace is really well performed. The lyrics are simplistic and nursery rhymey, but "when she walks down the street you can hear the strings" is a great line, and this finish is beautifully written IMO:

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because grace makes beauty
Out of ugly things

Most importantly, I think the music and production are gorgeous. Eno really hit that one out of the park, and it's pretty much all his show on that track.

I used to love Grace, I'm not sure what happened over time. I don't know if a lot of the negativity towards it started to color my perspective, or what. I love those lyrics that you highlighted, though.

I wasn't aware Unknown Caller was a whipping boy. Seems like Stand Up Comedy and Boots get all the hate from No Line.

I wasn't aware Unknown Caller was a whipping boy. Seems like Stand Up Comedy and Boots get all the hate from No Line.

Just in this thread. That's what I was getting at. Anytime someone mentions that song in Random, it turns into another five pages of how much the song sucks. Which is why I made the standard Clash/Cure/Radiohead/Beatles joke. It's just one of those RMT topics that takes on a life of its own when mentioned.

I've heard unknown caller once, I don't remember a thing about the song other than i disliked it. But I also disliked about 80% of that album, including tracks praised by the hive mind.

Back
Top Bottom