Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2019, 04:21 AM   #101
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Wow, the Beach Boys are underrated here. Pet Sounds is one of the greatest pop albums of all time. Smile annihilates pretty much any of the neo-psych music it influenced through its purity, warmth and incredible melodic dexterity. The chord progressions they came up with at their peak were out of this world.

Some amazing album cuts:

That's Not Me
I'm Waiting for the Day
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Cabin Essence
Wonderful
Look (Song for Children)
Child Is Father of the Man
Wake the World
Be Still
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
Til I Die
Surf's Up
The Night Was So Young

Idk how you listen to these songs and not come away with the band being at least sporadically brilliant. If you've just heard Fun Fun Fun and its ilk, you're missing out. I challenge anyone to listen to tracks 8-12 of the Smile Sessions and not be impressed by what they hear.
All of this.
Except for the "Wow" at the start.

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-11-2019, 06:34 AM   #102
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:59 AM
Quote:
Surely you can pause your 24/7 loop of Twilight (Demo) for 15 minutes.
It's a darkened day for me now, but sure, tracks 8-12 of the Smile Sessions coming right up.

Cabin Essence: what the fuck is this? Is this a song for children? Oh god there's an actual song for children coming. And now fifty seconds in it's a different song. This is a mess. And now we're back to boing boing doing doing fuck off. Holy shit this is truly awful. Ahaha it's time for the rave again. Pity it sounds like they're playing inside a cardboard box. And now it's onto a third song. How the hell am I still on the same track. How the hell is this only 2:45 through? 2 hours 45 minutes more like.

Oh my god there are four more songs to go. I wish this was "over and over".

Wonderful: This passed with little of note. Phew.

Look (Song for Children): I'm wary after that Cabin Essence clusterfuck. This sounds like somebody's b-side. I'm not sure why I'm meant to care. Drums sound a little shit.

Child Is Father of the Man: Feel like I'm still listening to the last song really. Oh wait no it's suddenly sped up. They really aren't very good at changing moods are they. It's just like multiple songs mashed together.

Surf's Up: I was hoping this would at least have some cool surf guitar or something. Nice vocal melody. Why does it just... stop around 0:48? Don't they know where the hell to go with this song? My god, how can a band this awful at songwriting have such an esteemed reputation. Like, just because you've got a halfway passable vocal melody doesn't make you some fucking genius. Hey look it's 1:38 and we can't decide what we're doing so let's just start another song. This is just the golden oldies version of prog metal bands who think that songwriting is changing time signature every 30 seconds and throwing in a mellow section after some blastbeats. Oh my god now this is just some plodding boring quiet shite. Reprise of Child Is Father of the Man, sure, whatever, I don't care any more.

Never suggest I listen to this band ever again, please and thank you.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Lol that was awesome
Old 01-11-2019, 06:42 AM   #104
Vocal parasite

Legit wondering if Traviud was trolling by picking those five songs.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

By the way, Radiohead has a new single out.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Legit wondering if Traviud was trolling by picking those five songs.

I agree with your statement about prog rock. A lot of great bands out there but others that try to induce seizures with their music.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #107
45:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
By the way, Radiohead has a new single out.

Nah it’s not new, it was a B side from the last record.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Nah it’s not new, it was a B side from the last record.

Ahhhh I got all excited, even though my adoration for the has waned over time.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #109
The Male

Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It's a darkened day for me now, but sure, tracks 8-12 of the Smile Sessions coming right up.

Cabin Essence: what the fuck is this? Is this a song for children? Oh god there's an actual song for children coming. And now fifty seconds in it's a different song. This is a mess. And now we're back to boing boing doing doing fuck off. Holy shit this is truly awful. Ahaha it's time for the rave again. Pity it sounds like they're playing inside a cardboard box. And now it's onto a third song. How the hell am I still on the same track. How the hell is this only 2:45 through? 2 hours 45 minutes more like.

Oh my god there are four more songs to go. I wish this was "over and over".

Wonderful: This passed with little of note. Phew.

Look (Song for Children): I'm wary after that Cabin Essence clusterfuck. This sounds like somebody's b-side. I'm not sure why I'm meant to care. Drums sound a little shit.

Child Is Father of the Man: Feel like I'm still listening to the last song really. Oh wait no it's suddenly sped up. They really aren't very good at changing moods are they. It's just like multiple songs mashed together.

Surf's Up: I was hoping this would at least have some cool surf guitar or something. Nice vocal melody. Why does it just... stop around 0:48? Don't they know where the hell to go with this song? My god, how can a band this awful at songwriting have such an esteemed reputation. Like, just because you've got a halfway passable vocal melody doesn't make you some fucking genius. Hey look it's 1:38 and we can't decide what we're doing so let's just start another song. This is just the golden oldies version of prog metal bands who think that songwriting is changing time signature every 30 seconds and throwing in a mellow section after some blastbeats. Oh my god now this is just some plodding boring quiet shite. Reprise of Child Is Father of the Man, sure, whatever, I don't care any more.

Never suggest I listen to this band ever again, please and thank you.
I hope that by aiming this angry, misguided treatise in the direction of a lovely song suite about childhood and family, you felt a little closer to your estranged parents.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #110
Vocal parasite

Mate you're gonna have to justify that "lovely" a bit more before I believe you aren't trolling me with the equivalent of telling some U2 sceptic to go listen to the middle trio of NLOTH.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #111
The Male

I certainly would, as I often err on the side of saying too much, but that comparison between Surf's Up and Get On Your Boots suggests an irreconcilable gap in musical interests that no degree of analysis can positively contribute to.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:

I think that may be the first time I've seen those 2 with legs.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #113
Blue Crack Distributor

Even having not heard it myself, seeing axvers response to those songs was pretty disappointing. Again, that comes from a) knowing what went into the writing and recording of them (recommending Love and Mercy a second time here) and B) being aware that the Smile sessions are pretty universally acclaimed.

Just seemed like an attempt to hate from the second the post started.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #114
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I think that may be the first time I've seen those 2 with legs.
They used them to run away from Axver
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:59 PM
like half of axver's complaints are basically invalid too... they're called the smile sessions because they're recording sessions of an unfinished album. of course there's stops and starts and changes because they're fucking writing the songs.

acting like this is a finished product meant for release and then shitting all over it because it's not a finished product meant for release makes about as much sense as listening to the crappy bootlegged achtung baby berlin tapes and then emphatically proclaiming that u2 is utter garbage based on that alone.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

I’m still not understanding how anyone thought Axver would appreciate this music, and why time was wasted attempting to get his reaction.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #117
The Male

Axver is my friend, we've spent time together offline, it's not a big deal either way, etc.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

That section from the Smile Sessions is glorious. The guitar from the end of Child Is Father Of The Man has been fairly inspirational to me. Surf’s Up is absolutely fantastic.

Pet Sounds is in my top 10 albums for sure. But yeah, aside from that album I mostly adore the singles. The albums kinda lose me with their filler.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

My challenge to Interference is to listen to the following Biffy Clyro songs in order:

Different People
Black Chandelier
Victory Over The Sun
The Thaw

And then try to tell me that they’re not the best band of all time.

Disclaimer. If you don’t agree with me, you’re wrong.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #120
The Male

I'll take you up on that, even if their name is stupid.