Random Music CXXV: Least necessary thread edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are one of the weirdest bands ever for being one thing in the 80s and then getting a huge hit in the 90s that sounds NOTHING like them at all.

I'd be surprised if you don't know this song, iyup:

I listened to Eden by EBTG last night, since were talking about them. I feel like Cobl is a fan already, but if not, I feel like this would be right up your alley.

Anytime I hear "Missing" I immediately think of being on the school bus, because it seemed that song was always on the radio when I'd be on the bus going to and from middle school.

But yeah, I like that song, too. That's the only one I know by them, though-may have to give the rest of their work a listen, it seems.

it was indeed a suicide, his bandmates confirmed it.

was never a big fan of their music but i'll never ever forget how 10 year old me was both freaked out and enthralled at this weird-looking dude dancing in a weird way over this weird electronic music when i first saw the video for firestarter. sad news. RIP.

So much death today. RIP Luke Perry..

Jeez. Heard about the stroke over the weekend, didn't know how bad.
52...these celebrity deaths are hitting way too close to home age wise.
RIP.
Wonder if this affects the 90210 "reboot" thing. He hadn't signed on as far as I know, but something like this could kibosh the whole idea.

Burned into my mind right now is Keith reciting 'where the fuck is Melbourne!?' a couple dozen times when I saw The Prodigy a month ago.

On a significantly lighter note, that reminds me, Phil Collins was playing down the road on the same night and when I was entering the arena, somebody tried to enter with their Phil Collins ticket to the amusement of everyone around the entry.

I listened to Eden by EBTG last night, since were talking about them. I feel like Cobl is a fan already, but if not, I feel like this would be right up your alley.

So I started playing this on the way to work an lollllllllll you know me so well, after one song I was like this is extremely my shit.

There's one song on there that just straight up sound like a leftover Steely Dan track. I had to recommend, lol.

Just finished Walking Wounded. I think Idlewild was the only album of theirs I'd heard before today, but man they're so good at two different genres of music (which cobbler would enjoy both of fwiw). I think I might prefer the 80s stuff a smidge, but I do love my trip hop/R&B stuff from the 90s too.

I am willing to die on this hill with you, cobbler. People, mark down this momentous occasion.

I’m joining y’all on this hill. I teach foreign languages, and we talk a lot in class about how yeah, some grammar is “technically” correct, but it is linguistically a dick move to run around correcting and policing people’s speech. In other words, there’s a difference between taking note of how people use words and telling people how they should use words, i.e., descriptivism vs prescriptivism.

People use ATM machine, ISBN number, PIN number, etc., all the time. People say cacti when it “should be” cactuses, or octopi when it should “technically” be octopodes. It’s fine.

I tell my students, it’s cool that you know so much, but don’t run around correcting people like a pretentious wanker.

ETA: I’ve never heard anything by EBTG beyond Missing. Going to remedy that right now.

Last edited:
octopi when it should “technically” be octopodes.

DimGraciousGrub-size_restricted.gif

Just finished Walking Wounded. I think Idlewild was the only album of theirs I'd heard before today, but man they're so good at two different genres of music (which cobbler would enjoy both of fwiw). I think I might prefer the 80s stuff a smidge, but I do love my trip hop/R&B stuff from the 90s too.

Glad to see people checking them out! Oddly enough, I’ve never heard any of their earlier work before their album Acoustic. I had an old manager at a record store who worshipped their 80s material. Guess I should remedy this.

Anyway, you gotta spin Amplified Heart next. It’s perfection.

"intellectual tor-toise" is the second stupidest u2 lyric after "stop helping god across the road like a little old lady".

Nah there are definitely better claimants to that title of "second stupidest U2 lyric". Hell, refu-jesus possibly overtakes "stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" as the stupidest.

it was indeed a suicide, his bandmates confirmed it.

was never a big fan of their music but i'll never ever forget how 10 year old me was both freaked out and enthralled at this weird-looking dude dancing in a weird way over this weird electronic music when i first saw the video for firestarter. sad news. RIP.

I was freaked out at first and then extremely bored by their music, which I usually found too repetitive and simplistic (I say this as a drone doom fan!), but holy shit this news has still shocked me.

On a significantly lighter note, that reminds me, Phil Collins was playing down the road on the same night and when I was entering the arena, somebody tried to enter with their Phil Collins ticket to the amusement of everyone around the entry.

In Axver's defense, he is legally blind and probably didn't realize he was at the wrong venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom