Random Movie Talk Twelve (no, not that horrid Schumacher movie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You must not watch Community, :sad:. Magnitude is the guy in COBL's avatar, and that is his catch phrase. The actor was one of the characters in the first two HP films, so like most of the cast returns in the climactic battle in this last one, even if he's just a background character.

took so damn long for the movies to come out i can't even remember what happened in the book. how else am i going to hate on it properly? i do remember hating all the books that weren't 1-4, so there is no way i'm going back and re-reading that crap.

Pop what, Magnitude? Pop what?!

In other news, Captain America's my favorite of the Marvel Studios movies to date. Hell, I'd put it next to X2 in terms of overall quality. Spidey 2's still my favez.

Pop what, Magnitude? Pop what?!

In other news, Captain America's my favorite of the Marvel Studios movies to date. Hell, I'd put it next to X2 in terms of overall quality. Spidey 2's still my favez.

Woah. I hear they keep the origin story part of the film relatively brief, and then like... actually let there be some movie to the movie afterwards. True? That alone would put it above a lot of recent comic fare.

A 15% off printable store coupon for non-members finally surfaced for the Barnes & Nobke sale, so I'm glad I held off ordering online, where you can only get one item discounted. Of course this means multiple store visits, but whatever. It's valid til the 25th.

Today I picked up Louis Malle's Black Moon on Blu, and this weekend will likely get Satyajit Ray's The Music Room (or maybe The Sweet Smell of Success or Diabolique). There aren't really any more Eclipse sets that are tempting me greatly, strange as that's usually what I wind up getting during these sales. Too bad that Vigo set doesn't come out til August...

Glad to hear you liked Cap LMP. That and Super 8 were my most anticipated blockbusters of the year. (I'd throw in Deathly Hallows 2, but with the first half only hitting a few months back there wasn't a long waiting period). I was far too busy today/at midnight unfortunately, but I'm going to the first showing in the morning.

For someone not super familiar with Captain America at all, I was hoping for a rather fleshed out background, actually. Does it at least give us that?

And, hearing that you liked it, LMP, is great news. I hope to see it (and eventually Thor) sooner than soon. Just got to go see that Harry Potter flick first.

For someone not super familiar with Captain America at all, I was hoping for a rather fleshed out background, actually. Does it at least give us that?

And, hearing that you liked it, LMP, is great news. I hope to see it (and eventually Thor) sooner than soon. Just got to go see that Harry Potter flick first.

The best word to describe Cap for me is brisk. You get a sense of Rogers' character and motivations early which sells a lot of the later transformation business. My only gripe is that there's an obvious period of time where future sequels would work into if they wanted to go back to that era. It's a satisfying standalone flick that's burdened by the Avengers set-up bookends. The narrative framework that feels tacked on in Iron Man 2 or overtly foreshadowed in Thor pays off well here.

I've been hoping that if they were to make sequels they'd be period, not modern, so the fact that there's a gap to be filled makes me happy.

Compared to the rest of the film, that action montage that I described features a bevy of distracting editing and effects choices. Johnston's Spielberg Lite cum war-time serials aesthetic heavily clashes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom