Random Movie Talk Twelve (no, not that horrid Schumacher movie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the closest to a full Leone final cut that's ever existed, a reconstruction of sorts from even the long cut we have on DVD.

Cannes lineup revealed. Some great stuff in there.

In Competition:
The Angels' Share, directed by Ken Loach
After The Battle (Baad el mawkeaa), directed by Yousry Nasrallah
Beyond the Hills, directed by Cristian Mungiu
Cosmopolis, directed by David Cronenberg
Holy Motors, directed by Leos Carax
The Hunt (Jagten), directed by Thomas Vinterberg
Killing Them Softly, directed by Andrew Dominik
In Another Country (Da-Reun Na-Ra-E-Suh), directed by Hong Sang-soo
In the Fog (Im Nebel), directed by Sergei Loznitsa
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat
Like Someone in Love, directed by Abbas Kiarostami
Love (Amour), directed by Michael Haneke
Moonrise Kingdom, directed by Wes Anderson (opening night film)
Mud, directed by Jeff Nichols
On the Road, directed by Walter Salles
The Paperboy, directed by Lee Daniels
Paradise: Love (Paradies: Liebe), directed by Ulrich Seidl
Post tenebras lux, directed by Carlos Reygadas
Reality, directed by Matteo Garrone
De Rouille et D'os, directed by Jacques Audiard
Taste of Money (Do-Nui Mat) directed by Im Sang-soo
Vous N'Avez Encore Rien Vu, directed by Alain Resnais

Cannes lineup revealed. Some great stuff in there.

In Competition:
The Angels' Share, directed by Ken Loach
After The Battle (Baad el mawkeaa), directed by Yousry Nasrallah
Beyond the Hills, directed by Cristian Mungiu
Cosmopolis, directed by David Cronenberg
Holy Motors, directed by Leos Carax
The Hunt (Jagten), directed by Thomas Vinterberg
Killing Them Softly, directed by Andrew Dominik
In Another Country (Da-Reun Na-Ra-E-Suh), directed by Hong Sang-soo
In the Fog (Im Nebel), directed by Sergei Loznitsa
Lawless, directed by John Hillcoat
Like Someone in Love, directed by Abbas Kiarostami
Love (Amour), directed by Michael Haneke
Moonrise Kingdom, directed by Wes Anderson (opening night film)
Mud, directed by Jeff Nichols
On the Road, directed by Walter Salles
The Paperboy, directed by Lee Daniels
Paradise: Love (Paradies: Liebe), directed by Ulrich Seidl
Post tenebras lux, directed by Carlos Reygadas
Reality, directed by Matteo Garrone
De Rouille et D'os, directed by Jacques Audiard
Taste of Money (Do-Nui Mat) directed by Im Sang-soo
Vous N'Avez Encore Rien Vu, directed by Alain Resnais

Yeah, interesting lineup and all that, but LEONE. Nothing at Cannes this year will come anywhere near that masterpiece.

One of my Top 10, so fucking excited to see more of it.

Nice to see Carax and Bertolucci finally returning to the screen, and another Resnais is more than welcome after the lovely Wild Grass.

No word yet on a video release of the full cut though?

Most excited for Loach, Kiarostami, Audiard, & Hillcoat in the competition. But the whole field seems quite strong this year. Of course one has to wonder now if we'll see The Burial (whatever the hell it'll be called) at all this year, seemed like the most likely opportunity after Tree of Life's win. But then The New World premiered in theaters, not at a film festival, so who knows.

I'm still excited for Cogan's Trade (I refuse to call it by that terrible studio name) but the fact that it's more satirical than serious is a question mark given Dominik's bleak background.

Chopper had a pretty effective through-line of black humor though if I remember right.

Anyway, found out the Weerasethakul is just an hour long doc. Still extremely excited of course. Interesting. Also reaaaaaally interested to learn more about the new Carax.

Yeah I was trying to remember the tone of Chopper, I've only seen it once, super late at night on IFC a long time ago, & I wasn't feeling it at the time, not the best environment for judging though. Still disappointed he transplanted a Boston novel, it would have been cool to have a Boston film shot by him.

The premise of the Carax is almost as intriguing as his long absence from the feature film world. What in the world is Kylie Minogue doing acting though?

Also I just saw the news that Saoirse Ronan could be in Aronofsky's Noah, which is awesome. Unfortunately so is Jennifer Connelly. Now Aronofsky clearly directed the best performance of her career, but I'm just not a fan, & reteaming with Russell Crowe will just bring up too many bad memories of A Beautiful Mind.

And sadly it won't be out until 2014.

Jonathan Frid the actor who played Barnabas Collins on TV passed away, any truth to the rumors that the cause of death was viewing the trailer of what the lethal combination of Burton/Depp did to Dark Shadows?

Apparently there was a falling out between Graham King & Scorsese because of the money lost on Hugo, and King owns the rights to Silence. :sad:

Patch things up boys, for the good of cinema.

If any Canadians are awake and interested, there's a Hitchcock marathon on Mpix right now. Torn Curtain just started. Rear Window is on afterward. I think I just missed Marnie

Marnie- that's the one where Sean Connery rapes Tippi Hedren into becoming a decent lady, right? I took a film class in college based on Hitchcock's works, and I think the professor basically sort of mumbled and shuffled his feet while explaining the plot point beforehand.

Oddly enough, the screenplay was written by a woman: Jay Presson Allen.

Traditionally one of the most underrated Hitchcock films, it's been getting a lot more critical respect the last ten years or so. Definitely in my Top 10 of his.

To be fair to Hitchcock, the class wasn't really an organic way of experiencing the film, but from what I remember I disliked how literal Marnie's problems with storms, men and the color red ultimately were. Psychologically I think I prefer the puzzle aspect of piecing together the underlying logic of seemingly random imagery.

Agreed, performances aside Marnie's not in my top tier for Hitchcock.

Off the top of my head, my favorite 10:

Vertigo
Rebecca
Rear Window
Strangers on a Train
Psycho
Notorious
Rope
Spellbound
To Catch a Thief
Shadow of a Doubt

With honorable mentions for Foreign Correspondent & The Lady Vanishes. And the all out fun mentions for Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, & The Birds.

The one I think is underrated is Frenzy, it's a little overwrought, but its wicked unnerving. That's actually the one Hitchcock flick I wouldn't mind seeing remade, if it takes the concept and elevates it, which is the only reason to remake something I think. Good concept, imperfect execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom