Random Movie Talk Twelve (no, not that horrid Schumacher movie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate Bullock. Don't care for Hanks much onscreen.

The kid appears to be terrible.

I look forward to rooting against this during awards season with every fibre of my being.

I'm not defending the kid's acting, but the character in the novel has asperger's but is quite smart, so the 'emotional' journey he goes on is actually him learning to recognize what other people are going through even though he can't necessarily relate on an emotional level. That aspect was interesting, here it looks like they've just made him a precocious whiz kid (movie cliche that is) though if they actually portrayed the kid correctly and the trailer tries to mask that, it could explain why he's so jarring. But I doubt they did that correctly, it'd be very difficult to pull off in Hollywood type filmmaking without an ocean of voiceover.

I don't think that I've seen a more upsettingly cloying trailer in a while. This, My Week with Marilyn and The Iron Lady reek of "movies explicitly made to win awards." And what do ya know? Two of them are Weinstein joints.

Blockbuster is now including Blu-ray in its 5 for $20 sale.

I got The Social Network, Avatar, Inception, The American and Carpenter's The Thing.

Too bad NSW ain't here to see this.

Blockbuster is now including Blu-ray in its 5 for $20 sale.

I got The Social Network, Avatar, Inception, The American and Carpenter's The Thing.

Too bad NSW ain't here to see this.

This is only an in-store thing? I know nothing about blockbuster these days.

I believe so. The guy told me that multiple stores were doing it, and that they had just started the Blu-ray thing.

It's a fucking steal, even if they're previously viewed and sometimes don't have all the extras. I mean it's $4.

Was hoping to find Shutter Island but no luck.

The other downside is that Blockbuster puts their Blus inside regular-sized DVD cases but I can live with that.

Not sure where there are any blockbusters still in DC, but I'm heading into VA tomorrow so I might try to hit a store or two and see what I can find.

It's mostly going to be mainstream stuff, but I think I got a respectable haul. Those films are all worth seeing again for the Blu experience, at least.

I already owned The Thing on DVD, but again $4 for an upgrade ain't no thang.

I'd happily pick up all of yours minus maybe Inception for that good a price. I'm always eager to expand my Blu collection, mainstream or not.

Stopped in to Blockbuster to check out the selection, and holy shit, all of their non new releases are 5 for $5 now?! Is that only at ours or is that everywhere? Because this is excellent news. Their selection is way better than Family Video's (who also have $1 rentals, as well as 2 for $1), so this gives me yet another reason to not give a fuck about cancelling Netflix DVD rentals.

I'd happily pick up all of yours minus maybe Inception for that good a price. I'm always eager to expand my Blu collection, mainstream or not.

They had Road to Nowhere (which I haven't seen) on reg DVD and I almost picked it up as part of the deal but it turned out to be like $10 so I left it.

The selection was pretty good, but like I said, I didn't have $20 on me, I'll see where I'm at on pay day, though I'm seeing that Lion King is still playing, and I haven't gone yet, so that may take precedence.

I'd love to get down on that deal, but I haven't seen an operating Blockbuster in months. Oh well.

Saw Highlander for the first time last night at the Alamo. Fuck's sake, that movie is so deliciously horrible.

Got my 5 blus today. The Social Network, Avatar, The Informant!, Resident Evil: Afterlife, and Unstoppable... fuuuuuuck yeah.

Series is a weakness of mine. Maybe the most consistently entertaining B-movie series in contemporary Hollywood for my money. I'll defend Paul WS Anderson as a vital low-talent somewhat trashy film voice in the industry as well. I know I'm not alone on at least the first point in certain critical circles.

Anyway, like you said the selection at Blockbuster was only so-so. Was keeping an eye out for The Thing blu, but didn't see any. I'm still thrilled I walked away with five films I like greatly.

Deadliest catch without the crabs!

I think Step Brothers might actually be the most quotable movie of all time. Between it and Anchorman I have spent many an hour laughing my ass for.

tumblr_lb34zquWxR1qdf672o1_r1_400.jpg

Stopped in to Blockbuster to check out the selection, and holy shit, all of their non new releases are 5 for $5 now?! Is that only at ours or is that everywhere? Because this is excellent news. Their selection is way better than Family Video's (who also have $1 rentals, as well as 2 for $1), so this gives me yet another reason to not give a fuck about cancelling Netflix DVD rentals.

Blockbuster went tits up around these parts

blockbuster is long gone around here , i can't stand those red box things
on highlander , kurgan/movie is so good , till he cuts his hair , final fight a big letdown for me
best way to see a movie , always will be in theatres

I don't think that I've seen a more upsettingly cloying trailer in a while. This, My Week with Marilyn and The Iron Lady reek of "movies explicitly made to win awards." And what do ya know? Two of them are Weinstein joints.

The only thing I'm looking forward to My Week With Marilyn for is Kenneth Branagh as Laurence Oliver, I actually hope the awards baiting works there, perfect casting for dramatic irony. Oh and more Emma Watson on screen never hurt anyone.

Not seeing it. E-Wat and Michelle Williams in the same movie would be too much to handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom