Random Movie Talk thirteen (Nikki Reed was pretty hot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all!

Lance: almost everything has been shot on the RED Scarlet. The underwater housing for it was too expensive at the time so we shot that stuff with a 5D, but it's going to be heavily processed anyway and doesn't need to match the other footage.

Thanks all!

Lance: almost everything has been shot on the RED Scarlet. The underwater housing for it was too expensive at the time so we shot that stuff with a 5D, but it's going to be heavily processed anyway and doesn't need to match the other footage.

Nice. A friend of mine bougt one of those along with a whole kit recently. I'd love to get my hands on it. Always loved the look of RED. Continue to keep us posted. Looks great so far.

Well I am back in that place where I just want to watch every movie in the entire world that I haven't seen

You guys are slipping. No one was here to tell me the Criterion Collection was having a 50% off flash sale :(

581901_10151466767699592_923264378_n_zps9e4e2d63.jpg

Just saw O Brother Where Art Thou for the first time tonight and felt like ranking the Coen films I've seen, so here goes:

1. Fargo
2. The Big Lebowski
3. No Country for Old Men

4. A Serious Man
5. Barton Fink
6. O Brother, Where Art Thou
7. Raising Arizona

8. Burn After Reading (really, a travesty of a screenplay saved by some lively performances)

I want to finish up most of their filmography this year, before the release of Inside Llewyn Davis. The Man Who Wasn't There, Blood Simple and True Grit are the three I want to see next; which of those do you guys think is the best of the batch, so I can adjust my Netflix queue accordingly?

That's too bad, Burn After Reading is a brilliant little film. Also maybe their funniest behind Lebowski.

It's a monumentally silly movie, which is fine, but it grew so patently absurd by the end that I couldn't help but wonder if the Coens gave a fuck. It is amusing for sure though, I watched it on St. Patrick's Day last year and was drunk off my ass when I did. I probably missed something, but it seemed fitting at the time. I had a few really good laughs.

1. Barton Fink
2. The Man Who Wasn't There
3. A Serious Man
4. No Country For Old Men

5. The Big Lebowski
6. The Hudsucker Proxy
7. Miller's Crossing

That's for starters. I think almost all of their films are great so at some point it just becomes a big block where I have a hard time differentiating between quality. I was never as taken with Fargo as other people. It's not even close to their funniest, nor is it one of their more visually interesting efforts. It has two great lead performances in McDormand and Macy, and is perhaps their most "perfect" original effort (No Country For Old Men is also close to perfection, but an adaptation), but just doesn't stand apart for me.

I'm a huge film noir and Preston Sturges fan, which are part of why The Man Who Wasn't There and The Hudsucker Proxy rank so highly for me, respectively. Barton Fink is one of the most unique films I've ever seen in my life, one that defies easy explanation but also works on the surface level as a hilarious skewering of the old studio system. And perhaps you have to be more familiar with Jewish culture to enjoy A Serious Man to the fullest, but there's no denying its existential cynicism, like a retro feature-length version of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Alright, so the first part of this post is really kind of sad. But you guys know me, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise. Earlier tonight, Taylor Swift tweeted that she watched THIS IS 40 and loved it. Being a big fan of all of Apatow's other directorial efforts, and being a fan of Taylor, and being a little bit high on marijuana, I thought "I'll find This Is 40 online and watch that shit right now. I've wanted to for months."

Holy fucking shit, I'm twenty minutes into this thing and it's god damned hilarious. And beautiful. A total delight.

Have you guys seen this? I'm loving the LOST references, and Rudd and Mann are great together again and are ripping one liners left and right. Cool soundtrack, Lena Dunham, etc. If this movie somehow keeps up the pace...well, we'll see. Back to it. Wish me luck.

So, I just watched the Departed for the first time. Really fantastic stuff. I dug the psychological aspect of the identity crises and the ensemble cast was incredible.

But the ending kinda blew. I don't know. It like some shit that Tarantino would play for laughs. Catharsis unto itself. I can't help but feel Goodfellas handled things about 10 times better without the protagonist's death. There are real consequences and resonance to what happens, but the Departed's ending is just silly. A shame, because it does nearly everything else right.

I blame the fact that they were essentially adapting a whole trilogy into one movie, but only kept the plot of the first one intact. So the opening moves at a breakneck pace as they cram in the prequel backstory and everything after the elevator doors open on Leo is rushed as they try to tie off the character arcs.

I really enjoy it though. Check out Infernal Affairs sometime, another awesome A list cast there.

Finished it, and THIS IS 40 is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I literally had tears streaming down my face during Melissa McCarthy's scene in the school principal's office. Wow. Haven't laughed that hard at a scene in a very long time. Great movie.

So, I just watched the Departed for the first time. Really fantastic stuff. I dug the psychological aspect of the identity crises and the ensemble cast was incredible.

But the ending kinda blew. I don't know. It like some shit that Tarantino would play for laughs. Catharsis unto itself. I can't help but feel Goodfellas handled things about 10 times better without the protagonist's death. There are real consequences and resonance to what happens, but the Departed's ending is just silly. A shame, because it does nearly everything else right.

If your beef is with Costigan's death, that's not really the "ending", is it? Because you have the beautiful homage to The Third Man with Damon and Farmiga at the cemetery, and then the final scene between Wahlberg and Damon.

Also, the script by Monahan (leagues better than the ones for the original films) is very Shakespearean, and that kind of multiple death finish is right in line with the master's classic tragedies. Costigan doesn't deserve to die, but he's been tainted, and the moral and ethical price the FBI has paid to get their target (Costello) is stressed by the downward spiral of his existence.

Not a big fan of the final shot with the rat, as that wink to the audience seems a bit out of place considering what's gone before.

My beef is with everyone dying. Not a fan of Shakespearean endings in movies; it's too convenient and suggests the characters we've grown attached to are expendable devices. That's a very general and subjective statement but it hits on why this ending bugged me specifically.

Matt Damon really should have had to live with himself. Marky Mark fucked the movie.

I also love how poignant the movie title becomes when you realize it was about characters destined to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom