Random Movie Talk thirteen (Nikki Reed was pretty hot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather Seth MacFarlane drive over to my house and beat me with a baseball bat than tune in to see him say or do anything.

I'm over halfway through the epic documentary The Story of Film (just finished Episode 7 about the New Wave), and I'm pretty disappointed (but not surprised) that this guy fails to mention Jacques Rivette. I can understand overlooking Rohmer as he was notable more for his scripts, but overlooking what Rivette was doing with narrative form is inexcusable, as it's some of the most radical development in that area in film history. Especially as the guy who made this documentary is from the UK, where a number of his films are available on DVD.

Also a big FAIL for completely passing over Max Ophüls.

Is Christina Hendricks known for anything else other than *obvious physical feature*?

art-353-hollywood-s-300x0.jpg

eg Mad Men is Don Draper's show, she wouldnt garner any attention if she wasnt on it

I have an Optoma. Got it from Best Buy for $500 or $600 like 4 years ago. Had to change the bulb last year but I found one on eBay for around $100.

No complaints but I'm far from an expert.

Recently bought an EPSON 720p LED for around 700. Was between that or the similarly priced Optoma 720p DLP. There are a number of good pieces online comparing LED and DLP which is really the big decision at cheaper prices. Lots of pros and cons for either. DLP has better black levels for one, a more "filmic" look, but the latter also depends on other factors as well as taste etc. Went with the LED for brightness and lamp life, though, since we use it all the fucking time, day and night.

No one's posted in here for a week? Fucking seriously?

Based on the reviews, Cloud Atlas sounds like everything I hate about overblown, epic movies and I'm going in with extremely low expectations, but I'm hitting up the midnight showing anyway. Tom Hanks is usually :up:

No one's posted in here for a week? Fucking seriously?

Based on the reviews, Cloud Atlas sounds like everything I hate about overblown, epic movies and I'm going in with extremely low expectations, but I'm hitting up the midnight showing anyway. Tom Hanks is usually :up:

I'm going tonight.

You know me as a fairly cynical, snarky person around here, but it's sad to me how so many critics seem to be going into this with the wrong mindset.

Everything I've heard out of Lana, Andy, and Tom's mouths gives me enough confidence to ignore the haters. They understand this material, and their approach seems to be very well thought-out. The execution is another thing, but the trailer didn't discourage me in the slightest.

OK, much as Idris Elba would make probably the most badass James Bond ever, all these rumors of him having met with EON about taking over the role eventually make no sense. Daniel Craig is signed on for Bond 24 & Bond 25 (which, according to the deal they just signed with John Logan to write them, will be a two part story), and the producers have time and time again said they want Craig to play the part more times than Roger Moore did. But, assume they actually stick to the every 2 years schedule & he leaves after 25, and they don't have a longer gap in between for the reboot, Elba would be 46 the FIRST time he played the part, in 2018. One, (and yes I'm aware of Moore's age while he played the part) that's a tad old if they expect him to continue in the part for a long time, and two this would be ridiculously early for them to start talking to him. Plus, if they were, how is that supposed to make their current star feel?

In any case, Matthew Vaughn just left the next X-Men movie, can they please get him to direct #24? Layer Cake's essentially what got Daniel Craig the role in the first place.

Vaughn is a legitimate hack. Please no.

Is Elba British? I'm down with a black Bond as long as he has the accent.

Good to know, in that case. I don't mind the age thing so much either, as a fan if Moore'd Bond.

Just watched The Man Who Knew Too Much. Liked it, very entertaining, but can anyone explain to me why Jimmy Stewart's character, an Indiana doctor with no fucking clue about anything, was told all of that shit about the assassination in the first place? Or was it simply not mentioned and is instead a conspicuous plot device?

Okay, working off my memory and the plot description on the Wiki page:

The Frenchman who eventually whispers this stuff to Stewart--he befriends the family early in the film after their arrival. He asks them a lot of questions. I'm assuming he was trying to determine if they were the enemy agents
(who turn out to be the older British couple also at the hotel)

When he does give the information to Stewart, I think it's because he knows he's not one of the bad guys, and Stewart just happens to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom