Random Movie Talk thirteen (Nikki Reed was pretty hot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I beleive if Malick's films were in a foreign language they wouldn't be received with such condescension from mainstream critics.

Fuck 'em.

I've seen a couple of reviews, the first one did not sound that good. A better narrative than Tree of Life, thank god. A bit autobiographical, too bad, this self obsessed navel gazing is not for everybody. Maybe Mallick is dying, we all are, so what. I wish he would get back to concept films like the Thin Red Line and The New World.

Mallick's big questions about God are fuck awful, someone should give him a brain scan.

RE Michael Clarke Duncan:

Do you leave a light on after bedtime? Because I get a little scared in the dark sometimes. If it's a strange place.

AND

Please boss, don't put that thing over my face, don't put me in the dark. I's afraid of the dark.

RIP

:sad:. Those are two great great moments. I love him so much for many, many roles, but obviously that one in particular is outstanding.

If anyone's following, Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers kind of sounds like the best thing ever ever.

Maybe. I haven't seen much. But this new one seems pretty interesting, coming on word from the fests.

Yeah, really divisive, and receiving poor notes mostly from people I usually trust too, heh.

Still, I expect to love it. Mostly just a sort of feeling, and interesting things I've read about the film's structure, and transitions. Plus Wachowski fan, always. Actually, I'm a big fan of both filmmakers most recent films, neither of which really made much of a strong impressions with anyone really, Speed Racer and The International.

But yeah, the general (mostly non-critic) crowd at the fest showing apparently lost their shit over it. Longest standing ovation of the festival and so on. I get the impression a lot of people are turned up by the film's earnestness and kind of on-the-nose thematics. But whatever, I'm game.

While I don't love the Wachowski's filmography across the board, the critics have been gunning for these guys with every effort since The Matrix Reloaded, including V For Vendetta.

Not surprising that many of these reviews are going to be smug dismissals. Many of these critics don't believe in formal innovation from big budget filmmakers, and won't acknowledge it when it happens.

I saw the trailer for that over the weekend and it should be a good one. I love Philip Seymour Hoffman and finally Joaquin is back to acting instead of acting bat shit crazy :wink:. I can't imagine Tom Cruise will be seeing that one.

My new goal is to use Google's Kevin Bacon engine to find an actor more than two links away. Not a lot of luck right now. I suspect mathematically a 2 link chain can cover most anybody in a locus like Hollywood.

The Edge's bacon number is 3!

edit
This characterizes the problem:

Bacon Number # of people
0 1
1 2511
2 262544
3 839562

Andrew Scott, Moriarty from the BBC Sherlock is a 3 as well

I've seen a couple of reviews, the first one did not sound that good. A better narrative than Tree of Life, thank god. A bit autobiographical, too bad, this self obsessed navel gazing is not for everybody. Maybe Mallick is dying, we all are, so what. I wish he would get back to concept films like the Thin Red Line and The New World.

I very much disagree with this, the personal motivation for The Tree of Life made the film so visceral in its emotions despite the more opaque nature of the voiceovers (par the course with Malick on that one), what the actors achieve without dialog is extraordinary. To be fair though, I related to the main character in The Tree of Life very, very much because of my own relationship with my father & my religious upbringing. Not to mention the format of the film was incredibly inventive, depicting reflection & memory as it would be to a real person remembering things, snatch images & moments from your life not necessarily complete in their detail or in order, just linked by evocation & emotion. It seems so natural & yet, film's aren't really done that way.

But I think we will see a return to more fictional films with his next 2, To the Wonder explores his period in Paris & his strained marriage, which is fairly contemporary, what else is he going to explore in his own background at the moment? Struggling to get film financing while being a recluse? Maybe he'll give us his personal take on something akin to The Fountain when he's on his death bed, but for now I think his period of personal expression is done.

It's hard to keep them separate, but one of the next two is about the music industry (I think it's Knight of Cups, not the untitled one).

Well it's confirmed somewhat that one of his new films is about the film industry as well, soooo you might not be too far of on that one :wink:

So one is about the music industry & the other is about the film industry? I hadn't heard that.

Got my ticket for The Master in 70mm at the Alamo tomorrow morning. Leggo.

Speaking of Nikki Reed... this is an interesting co-star from Thirteen ->

evan_rachel_wood_1173929162.jpg

That co-star is a major hottie now->

Evan%20Rachel%20Wood-JTM-043125.jpg

:rolleyes: ok, deep.

I think McFarlane is a fresh choice. I suggest people check out his hosting of the Donald Trump roast. Really funny stuff.

I am indifferent to McFarlane

I do think the 2012 films are falling short, I did enjoy Looper a lot, I don't expect it to get any noms. Lincoln looks terrible in every way. I think the next Spielberg I like may be Robopocalypse. I have seen Cloud Atlas previews in the theater, I do look forward to seeing that on the big screen. I doubt it will get any noms. The best thing about The Master is Phillip Seymore Hoffman, I expect him to get supporting actor nom. I have seen a handful of good films this year, but they are not likely to get any noms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom