Random Movie Talk thirteen (Nikki Reed was pretty hot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not gonna hate, their two films together are both strong (Wedding Singer is much better, but 50 First Dates was likable too).

Just got Holy Motors from netflix.

Well, I'm stupidly excited for the new Sandlymore flick.

Also pretty darn excited to watch Holy Motors :up:

Watched the Coppola Restoration of The Godfather on blu ray today. My word, that was magnificent.

I didn't know Seven Samurai was 3 and a half hours long. I want to knock out Seven Samurai, Rashoman, and The Hidden Fortress at least this weekend, though. And maybe Ikiru. Kurosawa is a giant blind spot for me.

I didn't know Seven Samurai was 3 and a half hours long. I want to knock out Seven Samurai, Rashoman, and The Hidden Fortress at least this weekend, though. And maybe Ikiru. Kurosawa is a giant blind spot for me.

I haven't seen the last two you mentioned yet, I'll probably hit those as well

Prioritize High and Low, Red Beard and Throne of Blood. Some of his most essential at least.

I only just saw Ikiru last month. Was surprised to find it as "brilliant" as its reputation suggests, as I've never been a huge Kurosawa fan. I'll be participating in quite a massive two-part podcast focused on him in the next few months some time though, so I'll probably be going through the majority of his filmography, revisiting all the ones I've seen and finally getting to all those I haven't, so maybe a semi-re-evaluation will turn up something new.

Anyway, Ozu turns 110 this December, so hopefully Hulu does something similar for people with his lengthy catalog they have access to on there. As Kurosawa is my least favorite of the four major classical Japanese Masters, I'd also suggest people that enjoy his work really consider exploring Ozu, then Mikio Naruse and Kenji Mizoguchi, all of whom I prefer (and that's probably my ranking of them as well). Also Hiroshi Shimizu and Masaki Kobayashi who are both contemporary of them or sorts.

Rashomon needs to be near the top of any priority list. Extremely influential.

Ikiru, Red Beard, and High & Low are my other favorites. Seven Samurai is a lot of run but not as great as the others IMO.

I have a lot still to see. The guy was very prolific, and worked for a very long time.

Just got Holy Motors from netflix.

Also pretty darn excited to watch Holy Motors :up:

quotes-werewaiting.jpg

Just for fun, I picked up a history of Japanese film-type book. It got me to wondering, are there any Japanese love letter to film movies out there? You know the kind I'm talking about, Like Hugo and Cinema Paradiso, those bad boys. I'm sure they exist, but I'm just thinking to myself movies like that would be fun to watch for any culture.

Nagisa Oshima's The Man Who Left His Will on Film

it's exactly like Cinema Paradiso hahajk

but no it's amazing

It's not at all a love letter film, so it's kind of a joke. It's akin to Godard in the 60s, except better. All Oshima is worh seeing.

I'm not really coming up with anything like what you're looking for off the top of my head though. I'll get back to you if I do.

Oh, lol, my bad, I didn't even look to see, I was just taking your word for it.

OK, Holy Motors is queued up, ready to go. Time to do this shit.

I very much did.

I'll write up a longer review tomorrow, but suffice it to say that this is one of those rare films that made me regret even momentarily getting up or looking away. Something bizarre, intriguing or otherwise entertaining was bound to happen.

Well, it was certainly up there with the best films of 2012, and then some. I had no idea what it was about when I made my "love letter to cinema" post above, btw. Just a coincidence.
Obviously this film isn't an outright movie about movies, and that's not what Carax wanted either (based on interviews I've read), but you can't help but pick up on all of the references (Merde from Tokyo! and Celine's mask at the end of the film from her previous roll in Eyes Without a Face).

I just loved the look of the film, wondering if any of it was real, the different film styles, the surreal moments. It raises so many questions, but never left me feeling like I absolutely understood nothing of what was going on. Instead I was constantly questioning, trying to figure it out and then feeling pretty good about what I got out of it. Yeah, there are holes and that's probably a good thing, it makes you want to keep thinking about the movie and what you take from it. That's a mark of success in my eyes.

I was reading one critical analysis that raised a question I had and I wanted to poll your opinion on this: Was the scene with the daughter he picks up from the party real? It's the only time in the film he drives himself and, more importantly, she's the only other character that he really talks about all of his "appointments" with besides Kylie.

Speaking of Kylie, that scene was hard to accept as reality as well, especially given the moment she breaks into song. When that happened, my heart kind of broke a bit for Mr. Oscar as I realized that once again none of what was going on around him had any stake in reality.

Crazy crazy film and I'm so glad I saw it. I'll have to pick it up at some point, because I'm certain I'm going to find myself wanting to watch it often down the road.

I'm mixed on certain parts of Holy Motors. Likely my fav Carax film though just the same. The accordion digression is the finest cinema moment of 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom