Random Movie Talk Part X: The Spy Who Loved Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one adaptation I would like to see them complete is Yiddish Policemen's Union, the book was one of Chabon's most boring, but they could probably make something quite interesting from it.

elf was good, til usa killed it for me airing it over and over ad nauseum every year. i'm almost glad right now that my tv box is still broken and unless i migrate to the living room while i play computer games, i don't have that channel forever left on the tube while i'm killing shit.

I hadn't seen it myself in a few years because I avoid watching movies on network tv like the plague.

even dvr'd and being able to fastworward through commercials, i am not making it all the way through prince caspian. granted, it's been years since i read the chronicles of narnia, but i still think between this and disney's version of the wardrobe, this is the worst film version of the series to date. it sucks i was wrong when i said that it would be over quick, and that even if they did do caspian, there's no way they'd ever do the dawn treader or anything else because the general public that's familiar with wardrobe never read past that book/or saw anything other than the cartoon.

it's got all the makings of a bad adventure/fantasy movie from a book where too much time is spent on generic action sequences and during the dialogue parts characters come to these life-changing realizations in 1 or 2 sentences, completely glossing over pages of thought/characterization. in place of said characterization, there's some ridiculous amount of bickering between the kids that i also swear didn't exist in the book.

anyway, i'm rambling, this movie is bugging the hell out of me but burn notice was the only other thing i'd recorded and none of my housemates ever record anything worth watching, so i guess i'll leave it on a bit longer.

i still will be surprised if they do, or already have and i just don't know it, go into/gone into production on the silver chair...

:shrug: I was surprisingly impressed by Prince Caspian. I'm a huge C.S. Lewis fan and after a serviceable if shallow adaptation of Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe I wasn't expecting much, particularly because Prince Caspian is the weakest book in the series. That said I actually thought they improved on the story. It's unfortunate that they seem to have royally screwed up Dawn Treader (which could have easily made for the most exciting installment), because I'd really like to see them be able to adapt The Magician's Nephew and especially The Last Battle for once. Oh well, maybe in a few decades someone else will try their hand at the series.

i couldn't tell you what my opinion would be if i re-read the entire series now but when i was 10, prince caspian was by far my favorite. when i went back and re-read them when i was 15, i still enjoyed it more than certain others (i hated the last battle, for instance), but i wouldn't call it the strongest story. maybe it got edited a bit and a few scenes got cut to make room for the commercials here, but it still has that very rushed feel to it that so often prevents me from enjoying movies like this. however, with harry potter the exact opposite happened, i felt the 5th and subsequent books dragged too much and were too lengthy as books and actually preferred those as movies (1-4 were enjoyable reads and those movies sucked). but i digress.

this guy that plays caspian cannot act for shit.

I didn't find PC to be rushed, it's actually pretty lengthy, maybe cable isn't the best means for a first viewing. I guess we'll just totally disagree because PC is my least favorite in the series and it's quite possible that The Last Battle is my favorite.

:lol: yeah, we're probably not going to agree on this at any point.

3 hours with commercials, so stuff got cut and maybe that's what's rushing it. i don't know. that's almost always my complaint with movies based off books, though, so i'd probably still find a way to argue the point if i'd just rented the damn thing. other than films directed by scorsese, written and/or directed by david mamet, the only movies i really have any interest in watching are based off books i've read or comic books/graphic novels i haven't read (according to one of my friends, it's because i'm too ocd about having to read things in chronological order to ever have gotten into comic books, and i think he's right) and then i have to find some reason to bitch about them. not so much as "the book was better than the movie," but there's almost always something...

I get what you're saying, I tend to be more comfortable with adapted films that I've never read the source material to.

i probably would be too, i just never have any interest in actually seeing those films. i just don't watch a whole lot of movies.

The one adaptation I would like to see them complete is Yiddish Policemen's Union, the book was one of Chabon's most boring, but they could probably make something quite interesting from it.

I thought the book was great, and I actually found it better-paced than Kavalier and Klay (which I also loved).

Coens should be a great fit for YPU, though.

The characters in YPU were interesting enough, but Chabon's writing style came off as bland to me in comparison with the rest of his work. Though honestly I prefer his work as an essayist over his literature.

I'd be more excited if it were a better film. I'm sure the set is going to be gorgeous though. :drool:

A lot of talk lately about Criterion publishing blu-rays of The Limits of Control and/or White Material, since they apparently had De Bankole in their offices to record something recently. Apparently it's also a sure bet they'll be publishing Certified Copy... which is fucking awwwwwwesome.

Matt Damon Says Steven Soderbergh Really Does Plan to Retire Soon | /Film

This would be a real shame, though given how prolific the man is, I can see him burning himself out like he seems to have done. Also, a long break (can't imagine it being permanent given his passion for film) with some unrelated artistic exploration in the meantime could make for a fantastic return to the medium when/if he eventually decides to.

Sounds about as realistic as Ryan Adams' and Stephen King's own prolonged "retirements", if he does stop it probably won't take much to have him itching to unretire.

I hope so anyway.

I don't know, considering Soderbergh's wife looks like this

Jules-Asner-001.jpg

retirement could have its advantages.

Let's just say I don't just admire this guy for his films. That's a more unlikely catch than David Tyree in the Super Bowl.

I'd be more excited if it were a better film. I'm sure the set is going to be gorgeous though. :drool:

A lot of talk lately about Criterion publishing blu-rays of The Limits of Control and/or White Material, since they apparently had De Bankole in their offices to record something recently. Apparently it's also a sure bet they'll be publishing Certified Copy... which is fucking awwwwwwesome.

Yeah, this new partnership they seem to have with IFC is paying off. Some titles are coming to the collection really fast, and you get their awesome quality.

Well, thanks to Christmas I now own some blu rays. I'll get around to fixing the PS3 so I can watch them in a few weeks, but here's what I got:

Boondock Saints
Night at the Museum 2
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly :)hyper: )
Predator
Road House
The Simpson's Movie
Slumdog Millionaire

Some of them are a bit goofy, but I'm overall pretty excited. I really want to see The Simpson's Movie on blu ray to be honest, since every blu ray "Hey look how awesome this is" reel has that movie in it.

Also I got a few DVDs, Unforgiven I'm most interested in seeing.

Sooooooooooooooooo disappointed in Netflix right now. The only option you have to stream Oldboy is the fucking English dub? It looks horrible. They always do.

EDIT: I suppose I'll spend my Christmas with Rashomon instead. Not a traditional choice, but I have a Netflix queue to work through.

Speaking of Oldboy, I just saw Lady Vengeance a week or so ago. Liked it a lot. I'd have to watch Oldboy again to get a proper ranking of the trilogy, but I def thought it was better than Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance.

And I'd put Thirst above all of them, incidentally.

What'd you guys get for Christmas? I'm happy with my haul this year:

Apocalypse Now (w/ Hearts of Darkness) Blu
Back to the Future Trilogy Blu
The Exorcist Blu
Gangs of New York Blu
Psycho Blu
The Seventh Seal Blu
The Thin Red Line Blu
Mishima DVD
Andrew Sarris' Directors and Directions
Bogdanovich's This Is Orson Welles
The Scorsese band tee from Mondotees

And on top of that, I found Ugetsu used for about 6 bucks and the LOTR trilogy (Extended and OOP) for my lady friend for about 20 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom