Random Movie Talk Part X: The Spy Who Loved Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2vb3ec7.jpg

Whoa, I didn't know Desplat was doing the score, he really is every big director's go to guy now isn't he?

No surprise there.

No idea what this means, unless I've posted that gif more than 1 time, but I just haven't ever been able to say with such authority that something is going to be the most ______ of all time--OF ALL TIME!!!--after...a trailer. I hope it's beautiful, of course, and am confident that it will be. Very, very much so. Less confident, though, that it will obviously be the single most beautiful film of all time. OF ALL TIME!!!

Oh come on, I thought most of you here could tell when I'm merely indulging into my own excitement/fanaticism every once in a while. I'm not arrogant enough to say something like with with any sense of authority or objectivity, not that there's any of either when it comes to a personal reaction to art or what-have-you.

Just the same, not that it necessarily validates my fanaticism or should I have to, but I've been eagerly looking forward to this film for about four years, and the trailer somehow exceeded my expectations. Aside from the film surely being excellent, it's also a very well cut trailer, which helps. Additionally, I do actually think Days of Heaven and The New World are possibly the two most beautiful films I've seen at this point, so speaking for my personal taste and history with film, it's not really so much of an exaggeration/prediction... subjectively.

The Tree of Life - Movie Trailers - iTunes

Like now.

Obviously the most beautiful film ever.

MUCH BETTER :D Looks like Malick will continue as per usual with internal monologues on internal conflicts and the nature of existence. You can tell he's a philosophy junkie with his PhD.

Can I predict that this movie will win the cinematography oscar in 2012?

Well given how many times Lubezki has been snubbed for that award, particularly for Malick's The New World, it may not be a completely safe prediction. In fact given it's early release date it may be left out of a lot of things come this time next year.

Well given how many times Lubezki has been snubbed for that award, particularly for Malick's The New World, it may not be a completely safe prediction. In fact given it's early release date it may be left out of a lot of things come this time next year.

Even worse. If it's even remotely as good as 2001: A Space Odyssey many people may not have the palette to enjoy it. Anyway, it is made and we can see it and buy it.

The non-quicktimers can use youtube:

YouTube - The Tree of Life Trailer HD

I had to watch that to see what all the fuss is about, and I will admit it is a pretty striking trailer.

The fuss starting long before the trailer, simply because of the writer/director.

I'd never heard of Jessica Chastain before now, I'm interested to see how her performance shapes up in this.

Is the May release date for Tree of Life confirmed?

I can't wait. I'll probably re-watch Days of Heaven this weekend in anticipation.

Confirmed by Fox, yeah. May 27 I think.

Really need Criterion or somebody to get Badlands on blu-ray ASAP.

There's an HD rip of it floating on the Interwebz somewhere worth snagging.

The Criterion Breathless blu-ray is really gorgeous. They really did a good work with that one, considering that the source was not great from what I understand.

breathlessblu00010.jpg

breathlessblu00003.jpg

I can't think of a film that uses jump cuts better than this one.

Coming up in March, my most anticipated Criterion blu upgrade:

339_BD_box_348x490.jpg

Now all we need is A Brighter Summer's Day.

Beautiful...but what the hell is it about?

We trace the evolution of an eleven-year-old boy in the Midwest, JACK, one of three brothers. At first all seems marvelous to the child. He sees as his mother does with the eyes of his soul. She represents the way of love and mercy, where the father tries to teach his son the world’s way of putting oneself first. Each parent contends for his allegiance, and Jack must reconcile their claims. The picture darkens as he has his first glimpses of sickness, suffering and death. The world, once a thing of glory, becomes a labyrinth.

From this story is that of adult Jack, a lost soul in a modern world, seeking to discover amid the changing scenes of time that which does not change: the eternal scheme of which we are a part. When he sees all that has gone into our world’s preparation, each thing appears a miracle—precious, incomparable. Jack, with his new understanding, is able to forgive his father and take his first steps on the path of life.

The story ends in hope, acknowledging the beauty and joy in all things, in the everyday and above all in the family—our first school—the only place that most of us learn the truth about the world and ourselves, or discover life’s single most important lesson, of unselfish love.

According to Malick('s people.)

Considering Ridley Scott was attached before Todd Field, be thankful for what we have now. I think the latter is going to do a great job, and his first two films are better than anything Scott has done in...let's just say a very long time.

Also, anyone in the NY area would be smart to check out the Bertolucci retrospective going on. If you haven't seen his films in the theatre, you have no idea what you're missing, esp. as the majority of them were shot by Vittorio Storaro.

And his 1979 film Luna isn't available on DVD in this country, same with Tragedy of a Ridiculous Man and The Spider's Stratagem.

1900 is a wonder for the eyes, but it does have a 5-hr running time. I saw this in Boston over 10 years ago and was enraptured for most of that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom