Random Movie Talk Part X: The Spy Who Loved Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I saw a trailer for Cowboys and Aliens and I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think it looks kind of interesting.

GAF, sorry to disappoint you, I'm not a 15 year old girl. You have to channel your sexual desires elsewhere.

White Material Criterion more or less confirmed. Fuck. Wish I hadn't bought it already.

You do know that if you click on the blue arrow
viewpost.gif

it will take you to the original post, a good idea, so you can see the complete quote and the context.

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/01/03/james-franco-william-faulkner-cormac-mccarthy/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In other news:

Jodie Foster Joins Matt Damon And Sharlto Copley In Neill Blomkamp's 'Elysium'
More good news for Neill Blomkamp's second feature, "Elysium." The film already has Matt Damon and "District 9" star Sharlto Copley attached to star, and now, according to Deadline, Jodie Foster has committed to the sci-fi flick as well.

Details are scarce on the "Elysium" plot, but we do know that the film takes place on a distant planet in the distant future (we're sensing that distance is a theme here). That's a bit of a step away from Blomkamp's hit "District 9," which took place on our planet in the near future, and showed a pretty accurate portrayal (in my opinion) of what could happen if aliens came to Earth.

Like Damon, Foster is a stranger to this type of straight-up science fiction film. She did star in the 1997 sci-fi drama "Contact," about scientists who find conclusive proof that intelligent E.T.'s do exist, but she's never appeared in a film that takes place completely outside of our solar system.

When MTV caught up with Damon while he was promoting "True Grit," he told us that he's very invested in "Elysium" and that "District 9" was "one of my favorite films last year." He wouldn't give up details on the film's plot, but he did say it's worth enduring a little mystery.

"It's a great idea. It's 100 percent Neill, I'll put it that way. And that's about the highest kind of praise I can give it," he said.

"Elysium" is still gathering its stars, and Blomkamp has not started shopping the film to studios yet. A potential release date has not been announced.

Are you excited by the growing cast for "Elysium"?

Interestante, glad Damon turned down Avatar and Star Trek (Even though JJ's new flick was really, really great) for sumthing more original, he has been in some utter shit the past 2 years, but redeemed himself with True Grit

For all anyone knows Franco could be a masterful filmmaker. Excited to see him cut his teeth on such difficult material.

For all anyone knows Franco could be a masterful filmmaker. Excited to see him cut his teeth on such difficult material.

IDK read his directorial shorts kind of sucked...but who knows, maybe he has what it takes, can't deny that he is a very intelligent, passionate guy, I just feel it takes a very specific kind of director to tackle this material

I wasn't 2 impressed with The Road

Entirely likely he's not very good. :p Just saying, could be worth giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm frickin' pumped for Jodie Foster being in the next Blomkamp and Polanski films. Add in the rest of the casts for those projects and things get even better.

Also OrARoundoabout, I have to protest about Damon, granted Green Zone unfortunately sucked (gah! why turn a brilliant expose into a highly fictionalized action movie?? even less expected from Paul Greengrass) but The Informant was great, as was his performance in it, same goes for Invictus, even though yes, it's not cool to like Clint Eastwood.

I'm frickin' pumped for Jodie Foster being in the next Blomkamp and Polanski films. Add in the rest of the casts for those projects and things get even better.

Also OrARoundoabout, I have to protest about Damon, granted Green Zone unfortunately sucked (gah! why turn a brilliant expose into a highly fictionalized action movie?? even less expected from Paul Greengrass) but The Informant was great, as was his performance in it, same goes for Invictus, even though yes, it's not cool to like Clint Eastwood.

Ok, I'll admit Damon in The Informant was great, pretty funny too and I loved how he went all the way and gained all that weight...

Personally, I found Invictus forgettable (but it really wasn't so bad), The Green Zone was cliche, as for The Good Shepard, I saw it and I can't remember a thing about it...

I guess I'm bitter ovr Hereafter...and The Adjustment Bureau doesn't look any better, maybe it's just the trailer

Damons got We Bought The Zoo and Contagion lined up, heard he's going gay in Liberace, interestingly enough Leoardo DiCaprio is playing Hoover in JR know I know ur not a fan of Clint Eastwood but this movie have potential.

What happened to Todd Field's Blood Meridian?

I'm curious what Franco can do, but not with that.

IDK

This is such a stretch but wud DDL ever consider a role in Blood Meridian? I pictured him as Judge Holden, maybe because Holden is similar to Bill The Butcher and Daniel Plainview

But he's probs got his hands full playing Lincoln

Yeah I think it's time for someone else to fill that kind of role. Maybe Viggo Mortensen??

Back to Damon, I liked Hereafter well enough, but it didn't have a full grasp on what it wanted to say to the audience, and I couldn't really decide if Damon's performance was intense and understated or kind of phoned in. I was more invested in Cecille de France's, and the boy's storylines. And I wasn't really counting as far back as The Good Shepherd, wasn't that like 2006? Personally I thought he was one of the few strong points to that overblown train wreck of a movie.

Also, was the "I know ur not a fan of Clint Eastwood" comment aimed at me? Because I'll clarify by saying I am a fan of his, I was simply saying that it's considered film snob taboo to admit to being one nowadays.

Really? Because most of the critics are drinking the Clint Kool-Aid this last decade, and that goes for the ones in France as well. There doesn't seem to be any shame in it at all, but there should be.

It's fucking ridiculous. He's a less-entertaining (and talented) John Huston.

Really? Because most of the critics are drinking the Clint Kool-Aid this last decade, and that goes for the ones in France as well. There doesn't seem to be any shame in it at all, but there should be.

It's fucking ridiculous. He's a less-entertaining (and talented) John Huston.

This. I can't believe the praise that Eastwood continues to receive from Cahiers. Though I guess this says more about the current state of Cahiers than of Eastwood himself.

Laz I'm talking about movie fans' backlash not critics, another community you frequent presents a prime example of this.

As for my take on him, no he isn't the greatest or most sophisticated filmmaker, but he is a solid, emotional one. I admire the range of films he has attempted over the years, sometimes they disappoint, but other times he comes through big time. Unforgiven, Play Misty For Me, Bird, A Perfect World, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, & Letters From Iwo Jima are all great films, and he's made a number of slightly more flawed but still engaging films like Changeling, Bridges of Madison County, Flags of Our Fathers, Invictus, Gran Torino, In the Line of Fire, etc.

I think I have a new favorite joke to replace my old favorite joke

Why does Michael J Fox make the best milkshakes?

Because he uses the finest quality ingredients

Two years after boring us shitless with Australia, Baz Luhrman is talking about doing The Great Gatsby in 3D. Nothing will have kicked more ass than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom